Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Lots of good reports about Kyle Gibson...

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

Mauer was impressed by him today and Ron Gardenhire said he had fun watching Gibson on the mound. Then he had a little fun himself....

"He's got a good angle. The ball comes out of his hand really nice," Gardenhire said. "We're not going to let him pitch any more this spring, just to be safe. Just kidding. He looks pretty good."

It will be interesting, with a 130ish inning limit, if the Twins will feel comfortable putting him in the rotation when they break camp.

http://www.foxsports...ding_twins.html

#2 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

I read that he hit 96 with his fastball too. My hopes are very high right now.

"Let's get after it." ~ Someone on the Twins, probably.
Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#3 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 3,909 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

I've heard a lot of people say that his ceiling is being a solid #2. I think he might have the ability to be an ace. I certainly believe he has the makeup and poise to be very good.

#4 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 828 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

Gibson had a good first start. Will be nice to see him on the road as a starter against a good teams best players.

#5 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

I've been to many spring training games at Hammond, and I would put no stock into that reading. Last time I was there, they had Duensing registering at 96.

Having said that, the pitch was probably somewhere in that neighborhood, and that's a good sign. Gibson should be quite nasty if he's sitting in the mid-90s.

#6 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

[COLOR=#333333]I've been to many spring training games at Hammond, and I would put no stock into that reading.[/COLOR]

I've heard Hammond runs a bit hot however reports from the AZ Fall League this year also had Gibson touching 96 a few times -- pitch F/X says the same. Could be fluky too but I don't think it is inconceivable that he got up there.

#7 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:51 AM

My assumption is that the 96 that he struck someone out with was probably 94 which is more than enough... especially when his slider is coming in at 88-89 mph (which may be 86-87). That's some nasty stuff, and he also has a good changeup and a slower curveball. His stuff doesn't mean a lot of strikeouts necessarily, but he should get a lot of groundouts.

#8 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,962 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:40 AM

Oh, wouldn't it just be awesome, if Gibson turned out to be special. God, we Twin fans need something to rally around.

#9 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,215 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:09 AM

Oh, wouldn't it just be awesome, if Gibson turned out to be special. God, we Twin fans need something to rally around.

Amen. I believe that we may have to be patient during his rookie season, but that the upside could be amazing.

#10 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,048 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:31 AM

Would be great if he made the rotation....if he's one of the 5 best, he should be up here. But we've had that conversation over and over.....I'm just glad he appears healthy and effective.
Lighten up Francis....

#11 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,630 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

with that inning limit, and the fact that his clock hasn't started yet, I kind of wonder if he stays in EST and takes it easy for a month or two (or pitches out of Rochester's pen) before moving to the rotation.

#12 3up3down

3up3down

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

I have been in ft myers & have been watching live BP & games, Gibson looked great, his stuff is above avg & his mound presence is very good. I liked what I saw from Worley, Wood,& Walters looked good.. Same ole from Deduno, good stuff but has no idea where it's going. I have never liked Hendricks mound presence & i saw him shake his arm & flex his elbow after the run scoring double, what was odd was no one came out to see about him, if that had been pelfrey they would have been coaches & trainers sprinting to the mound. Palfrey has looked really good in his pens, anxious to see him tomorrow.

#13 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

I have been in ft myers & have been watching live BP & games, Gibson looked great, his stuff is above avg & his mound presence is very good. I liked what I saw from Worley, Wood,& Walters looked good.. Same ole from Deduno, good stuff but has no idea where it's going. I have never liked Hendricks mound presence & i saw him shake his arm & flex his elbow after the run scoring double, what was odd was no one came out to see about him, if that had been pelfrey they would have been coaches & trainers sprinting to the mound. Palfrey has looked really good in his pens, anxious to see him tomorrow.

Oh my goodness, I totally read that last sentence wrong the first time. Major meaning change.

Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#14 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,048 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:28 AM

He is 25...arms are only good for a limited number of years. The clock is ticking the way of pitch him, not sit him.

#15 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

I'm not sure I agree that arms are only good for a limited number of years. I do believe that arms might have a certain number of pitches in them though. In which case, limiting his innings makes sense. I mean, I'm 30 now, but I don't think I am in any danger of tearing my rotator cuff or blowing out my elbow. If he throws 200 innings for the Twins in a lost season and then gets hurt next year, I'd be much more upset than if he throws 130 innings at AAA.

Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#16 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,749 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

He is 25...arms are only good for a limited number of years. The clock is ticking the way of pitch him, not sit him.

Which I might agree with if Gibson wasn't on such a strict innings limit anyway. His ability to influence the outcome of the 2013 season is marginal no matter how well he pitches. I don't see any problems with putting him in AAA and letting him pitch 4-5 inning games for awhile, something the team can't really let him do in Minnesota.

#17 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

I don't see any problems with putting him in AAA and letting him pitch 4-5 inning games for awhile, something the team can't really let him do in Minnesota.

You must not have watched much Twins baseball last year. Either that or you've already purged it from your memory Men in Black style.

#18 roger

roger

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

I've been to many spring training games at Hammond, and I would put no stock into that reading. Last time I was there, they had Duensing registering at 96.

Having said that, the pitch was probably somewhere in that neighborhood, and that's a good sign. Gibson should be quite nasty if he's sitting in the mid-90s.

I read several reports that talked about the Hammond Stadium gun, that also mentioned that a scout had him top out at 95. Have also read in several places that Gibson will not be in the bullpen, in Minnesota, Rochester, or elsewhere. The reasoning given was that he has never been a reliever in his life. I don't have a clue whether he will begin his career with the Twins or somehow limiting innings in either Rochester or EST. It seems to make a lot of sense, however, if he is going to be limited and miss a month, it makes a lot more sense that it be April rather than September...thus, adding another year to his team control.

#19 Steve Penz

Steve Penz

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

Which I might agree with if Gibson wasn't on such a strict innings limit anyway. His ability to influence the outcome of the 2013 season is marginal no matter how well he pitches. I don't see any problems with putting him in AAA and letting him pitch 4-5 inning games for awhile, something the team can't really let him do in Minnesota.

I agree completely. I understand that we are anxious but there is no way that his effect on the Twins from opening day to Mid May weighs more than having him for another year of team control. My apologies because the topic is beat to death...I could not help it.

#20 3up3down

3up3down

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

swanson, i see that now, thats pretty funny......i should say pelfrey has looked good throwing his bull pens & i am anxious to see him pitch today.. that sounds much better..

#21 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

I think people need to move past the idea that Gibson is going to start the season pitching in the bullpen, or being limited to four-inning starts, so that he'll be available in September. He'll either open the campaign in the Minnesota rotation or the Rochester rotation and while they might be a little more apt to pull him after 90 pitches instead of 100 his usage will be fairly normal. The Twins want to build up his strength and get him back into a normal starting routine -- that is their goal with him this year.

Frankly, I'm not sure why people are so obsessed with having him available at the end of the year anyway. They're not going to be playing in October, and regular season results matter as just much in April as September. Considering the club's stated resolve to get off to a better start this season, I'm guessing the Twins would prefer to have him helping them early anyway. I'm sure they're hoping that other options will emerge (Meyer? May?) to replace him late in the year.

#22 Teflon

Teflon

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

In a related note, the Twins announced they have become the first MLB team to convert to KPH on their JUGS guns.

#23 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,749 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

You must not have watched much Twins baseball last year. Either that or you've already purged it from your memory Men in Black style.

Actually, I was keeping that very much in mind. The team can't afford to pull an effective Gibson after 4-5 innings the day after Correia goes 2 1/3 and gives up 18 runs.

#24 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,749 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

I think people need to move past the idea that Gibson is going to start the season pitching in the bullpen, or being limited to four-inning starts, so that he'll be available in September. He'll either open the campaign in the Minnesota rotation or the Rochester rotation and while they might be a little more apt to pull him after 90 pitches instead of 100 his usage will be fairly normal. The Twins want to build up his strength and get him back into a normal starting routine -- that is their goal with him this year.

Frankly, I'm not sure why people are so obsessed with having him available at the end of the year anyway. They're not going to be playing in October, and regular season results matter as just much in April as September. Considering the club's stated resolve to get off to a better start this season, I'm guessing the Twins would prefer to have him helping them early anyway. I'm sure they're hoping that other options will emerge (Meyer? May?) to replace him late in the year.

I can't speak for everyone but I think there's nearly a zero percent chance Gibson will be available in September. I only advocate 4-5 inning starts in Rochester to build up arm strength and ease him into a season, not to preserve him for September. Plus, limited innings in Rochester hopefully means more innings in Minnesota, all the while keeping his service time down (probably not an issue anyway) and giving him valuable AAA innings (many seem to ignore that Gibson doesn't have much experience in the high minors).

#25 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,088 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

I can't speak for everyone but I think there's nearly a zero percent chance Gibson will be available in September. I only advocate 4-5 inning starts in Rochester to build up arm strength and ease him into a season, not to preserve him for September. Plus, limited innings in Rochester hopefully means more innings in Minnesota, all the while keeping his service time down (probably not an issue anyway) and giving him valuable AAA innings (many seem to ignore that Gibson doesn't have much experience in the high minors).

I just don't see the point of Rochester if he is ready to go. He is 20 months from surgery he doesn't need to be babied at the beginning of the year. Yes he needs to be protected from a big jump in innings over the entire season but worry about that later.

He has limited innings no need to waste them in AAA. He might have a DL stint or they can get creative in skipping starts or extra rest to extend him through the season. If he is good in spring training let him start with the Twins.

#26 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

In a related note, the Twins announced they have become the first MLB team to convert to KPH on their JUGS guns.

Does this statement insinuate that Gibson only throws 60 MPH? That seems low.

Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#27 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

I would like to see him pitch for the entire season. I am not at all sure what is so crazy about that. This would mean pitching April through September and this can be done while keeping him under 150 innings.

#28 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

(many seem to ignore that Gibson doesn't have much experience in the high minors).

I don't ignore it. His AAA numbers pre-surgery weren't all that good. He was young, and arguably his ligament was an issue before completely blowing out. But unless he totally stakes a claim to a rotation spot in spring training, I'm fine with letting him do some final polishing in Rochester. That also does the relationship with our farm team some good, an aspect that can not drive all decisions but also can not be ignored.

#29 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 921 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

A careful reading of comments from Twins staff makes it pretty clear that they're going with an eye test regarding Gibson, and will limit him if they see signs that it's required. They have not pre-determined an innings limit. However, they have anticipated that Gibson may start to wear down at some point.

I expect Gibson to start 31 games and pitch over 170 innings, with an ERA of 2.89, winning 16 games and winning ROY honors.

Kidding.

#30 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 791 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

Start him out for the first month in Rochester. Build up stamina as well as save a year of service. Wait until May to bring him up, that is only a month and we will get another year of service. This is an easy one. If he pitches the way we think he can pitch, an extra month for another year in his prime at a low salary is vital. Who knows if we will be able to or even want to sign him past his arbitration years, he will be 29 years old at the back half of his prime.