Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Spring Training Game 2: Twins vs Rays, Sun. February 24, 2013

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

Today's Twins lineup for Spring Training Game 2:

Aaron Hicks CF
Jamey Carroll 2B
Joe Mauer C
Josh Willingham LF
Justin Morneau 1B
Chris Parmelee RF
Jeff Clement DH
Ray Olmedo 3B
Pedro Florimon SS

Liam Hendriks SP

Other scheduled Pitchers: Glen Perkins, Jared Burton, Brian Duensing, Kyle Gibson, Bryan Augenstein, Anthony Slama, Luis Perdomo, Deolis Guerra

Rays Lineup (from Phil Miller)

Fuld CF, S.Rodriguez 2B, Vogt DH, Duncan 1B, Gimenez C, Thompson RF, Bourgeois LF, Fontenot 3B, Beckham SS. P: Archer

#2 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

Replace Clement and Olmedo with Doumit and Plouffe, you could be looking at your opening day lineup.

#3 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

Replace Clement and Olmedo with Doumit and Plouffe, you could be looking at your opening day lineup.

Indeed, although what I *want* is for Dozier to step up and take the job from Carroll. I'd also love for Benson to step up and allow Hicks to start his Major League career a few weeks later. And then finally I want every other player in camp to step up, and step it up again, and then we win the World Series!

#4 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

And then finally I want every other player in camp to step up, and step it up again, and then we win the World Series!

Amen
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#5 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

Top of the 1st - Blooper to CF by Sam Fuld caught on a sliding catch by Aaron Hicks. Rodriguez flew out to the right field line. Vogt doubled down the left field line. Shelly Duncan grounded weakly to 3B (Olmedo) for the third out.

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

Bottom 1st - Aaron Hicks took a called 3rd strike. Jamey Carroll grounded out to short. Joe Mauer took a 5-pitch walk. Josh WIllingham grounds into a fielder's choice to SS.

No Score.

#7 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

I've harped again and again that they would not start Hicks because they would lose a year of control if they don't keep him in the minors until June or so.
I'm starting to change my mind. While I believe that he could very well be a GG CF, I no longer think his bat is going to be so great that we are looking at a perrenial All Star. Maybe that's why they seem to be willing to let him earn a job out of ST.
Bet there's no way they'd let Arcia come up before June. That is, of course, if he's ready this year at all.

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

Top 2nd - Gimenez lines out to CF. Rich Thompson popped up to shortstop. Bourgeois walked and stole second. Fontenot doubled in Bourgeois. Beckham popped to short.

Rays 1, Twins 0.

#9 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

I've harped again and again that they would not start Hicks because they would lose a year of control if they don't keep him in the minors until June or so.
I'm starting to change my mind. While I believe that he could very well be a GG CF, I no longer think his bat is going to be so great that we are looking at a perrenial All Star. Maybe that's why they seem to be willing to let him earn a job out of ST.
Bet there's no way they'd let Arcia come up before June. That is, of course, if he's ready this year at all.

If they wait until May 1 to call up Hicks, they get a full extra season. And, I would think that, although it's just supposed to be a week, Arcia's injury hurts his visibility some and could delay his time, although he likely woudln't be up in June anyway, unless there is an injury or trade.

#10 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

Bottom 2nd - Jake Odorizzi now pitching. Morneau flew out to shallow centerfield. Parmelee flies out to center. Jeff Clement walked. Ray Olmedo grounds into fielder's choice to 2B.

#11 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

Glen Perkins enters the game. Top 3 - Sam Fuld strikes out. Sean Rodriguez struck out. Vogt lined a single to left center. Shelley Duncan singled to left field. Gimenez grounded into a fielder's choice to shortstop.

Ray 1, Twins 0.

#12 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

Btm 3rd - Juan Sandoval, 32, who is permanently blind in his right eye, comes in for the Rays. Pedro Florimon bloops a double down the left field line. Aaron Hicks advanced FLorimon to third with a ground out to the right side. Jamey Carroll doubled in Florimon with a shot by the 3B. Joe Mauer flew out to left field. Josh Willingham struck out.

Twins 1, Rays 1 after 3.

#13 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

Top 4 - Kyle Gibson enters the game. Rich Thompson bloops a single to CF. Bourgeios bunted to 3B, nice play by Olmedo. Fontenot grounded out to 2B, Thompson to third. Tim Beckham struck out.

Reports of a 96 mph fastball and an 88 mph slider. Let's not forget that the radar gun at Hammond Stadium is quite fast.

#14 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,951 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

Gladden: The Rays have a new outfielder Alex Meyer. Sorry, Will Myers.

What an embarassment

#15 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

Bottom 4 - Alex Torres in for Rays. Morneau flies out to left field. Chris Parmelee doubles down the left field line. Jeff Clement struckout. Ray Olmedo grounded out to 2B.

After 4, Twins 1, Rays 1.

#16 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

Gladden: The Rays have a new outfielder Alex Meyer. Sorry, Will Myers.

What an embarassment

Yeah, I was kind of waiting for Provus to at least say something about him. Of course, Gladden doesn't care much about the Twins minor leaguers, much less knowing who Wil Myers is.

#17 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,215 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

Top 4 - Kyle Gibson enters the game. Rich Thompson bloops a single to CF. Bourgeios bunted to 3B, nice play by Olmedo. Fontenot grounded out to 2B, Thompson to third. Tim Beckham struck out.

Reports of a 96 mph fastball and an 88 mph slider. Let's not forget that the radar gun at Hammond Stadium is quite fast.

Even if the radar gun is fast, the strikeout to end the inning seems like a good thing. Thanks for these posts!

#18 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

Top 5 - Clete Thomas in RF. Wilkin Ramirez in LF. Eddie Rosario at 2B. Kyle Gibson still pitching. Sam Fuld lined out to Rosario at 2B. Sean Rodriguez struckout on 87 mph slider. Stephen Vogt ground out to 2B.

#19 whosafraidofluigirussolo

whosafraidofluigirussolo

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

Is Eddie Ro in camp as a non-roster invite or are they just playing him as an "extra player" before the minor-league games start?

#20 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

Bottom 5 - now pitching, LHP Frank de los Santos. Pedro Florimon walked. Aaron Hicks grounded out to 3B. Eddie Rosario drilled a single that scored Florimon from second. On a pickoff play, ball got by first baseman and Rosario advanced to 2B. Joe Mauer grounded out to the right side, with Rosario advancing to 3B. Wilkin Ramirez grounded out to SS.

Twins 2, Rays 1 after 5.

#21 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

Is Eddie Ro in camp as a non-roster invite or are they just playing him as an "extra player" before the minor-league games start?

He and JO Berrios and Andrew Albers are not on the official list of Non-Roster invites, but they are there preparing for the WBC and the Twins are supportive of that.

#22 BrentMpls

BrentMpls

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

So does 96 not broadcast this? I'm getting questionable music and not play by play! :(

#23 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,215 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

I know that we have agreed as a group that spring training stats mean little or nothing, but as a point of information only I would note that Rosario is batting ,500 (2 for 4 for the season).

#24 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

Top 6 - Brian Duensing pitching, James Beresford at 3B, Danny Santana at SS, Josmil Pinto is catching. Shelley Duncan got out. Chris Gimenez got on when a one-hopper went off of Santana's chest. Wil Myers doubled to right with Gimenez advancing to 3B. Bourgeios grounded to SS for a single to score the run and advance the runner. Fontenot had a broken bat single to score another run. Beckham grounded to Morneau who booted it. Keirmaier then popped up to Beresford. Double steal. Sean O'Malley grounded to Rosario for the 3rd out.

#25 BrentMpls

BrentMpls

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

Figured it out - the website isn't clear that you can't stream the game online.

I can barley pickup the station downtown Minneapolis less than a mile from Target Field using a regular ol' radio. 1500 was much higher quality than this on AM.

#26 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

Morneau had a single in the 6th inning, but that was it.

#27 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

Jared Burton with a 1-2-3 7th inning.

#28 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

Btm 7 - Danny Santana walked. Brandon Boggs struckout looking and on the pitch, Santana was picked off at 1st base by the catcher. Eddie Rosario walked. Josmil Pinto popped out to deep second base.

#29 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

They are letting him get in shape for the WBC.

#30 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

Even if the radar gun is fast, the strikeout to end the inning seems like a good thing. Thanks for these posts!

According to LEN's post in the strib...
Kyle Gibson threw a pitch in the fourth inning that registered 96 miles an hour on the stadium radar gun. Say what? I checked wtih a scout in the stands, and Gibson topped out at 95. That's pretty darn good for a first outing. Gibson has to fine tune his command in future outings, but if he's feeling good enough to let it loose like that, wow.