Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Music

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

Hey! Music is cool, right? What does Twins Daily listen to?

Me? I'm completely stuck in the 90s. If there is band with ties to Mark Lanegan, you can be sure I'm listening.

So, yeah. Music.

"Let's get after it." ~ Someone on the Twins, probably.
Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#2 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

Songs I've been playing to death lately.
James Murphy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9KIUHB9Dj-U

Oddetta

Father John Misty

Wu Lyf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=73kSVQn2tYs
Cults
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=eAM9diyVRiM
Coco Rosie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kBvTs9UsnM8
Cat Power
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CkVBUG0ATro

(I guess I can't have more than video so they are just links now, inconveniently)

#3 Fatt Crapps

Fatt Crapps

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

Sugarcane!!

#4 Fatt Crapps

Fatt Crapps

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

Frank sure played with a lot of great ones

3FD8&feature=results_video

#5 luke829

luke829

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

Songs I've been playing to death lately.
James Murphy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9KIUHB9Dj-U

Oddetta

Father John Misty

Wu Lyf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=73kSVQn2tYs
Cults
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=eAM9diyVRiM
Coco Rosie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kBvTs9UsnM8
Cat Power
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CkVBUG0ATro

(I guess I can't have more than video so they are just links now, inconveniently)

There's no way I can listen to "Hit or Miss" without thinking of the Southern Comfort commercial
Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

#6 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

There's no way I can listen to "Hit or Miss" without thinking of the Southern Comfort commercial

The commercial kicks ass. When I listen to the song, I imagine I'm that guy.

#7 luke829

luke829

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

The commercial kicks ass. When I listen to the song, I imagine I'm that guy.

#8 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

Lot of 90's myself. I can't get over Rolling Stone when they rolled out the best songs ever by decade how low the 90's were. It must be a generation thing. I also like new Dupstep, new alternative rock like Chevelle, Lil Wayne, Drake is alright... I am a fan of new artists that actually put something into their work. I've trended away... far away from country music. I just can't listen to the garbage they play. Some new stuff is good, but I think I've just become too high strung to enjoy *someone complaining about their life*.

*disclaimer- not intended to discriminate or offend against country music or anyone that listens to country music
Do or do not. There is no try.

#9 luke829

luke829

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

Nirvana - The Complete Radio Sessions (1994) - Full Album - YouTube

Something such as this would quench my appetite

#10 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

Lot of 90's myself. I can't get over Rolling Stone when they rolled out the best songs ever by decade how low the 90's were. It must be a generation thing. I also like new Dupstep, new alternative rock like Chevelle, Lil Wayne, Drake is alright... I am a fan of new artists that actually put something into their work. I've trended away... far away from country music. I just can't listen to the garbage they play. Some new stuff is good, but I think I've just become too high strung to enjoy *someone complaining about their life*.

*disclaimer- not intended to discriminate or offend against country music or anyone that listens to country music

There seems to be a lot of disdain toward the 90s due to Grunge. I think the original Seattle bands are great. A lot of the rock bands that came after them were pretty awful, and I think the lines have been blurred over time.

Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#11 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

Smerf, there's plenty of good country, but the problem is that they don't seem to like to play that. I went to Zac Brown Band at Target Center in November, and that was among the top 5 or so best concerts I've ever seen.

I'm a huge fan of music, and I have over 8500 mp3s and 400+ CDs of all different genres. I was a vocal performance minor in college, so I have a high appreciation for music. That said, I'm a big fan of Christian music, working as security for Sonshine Festival in Willmar every summer. I've had the chance to meet a lot of great artists there and enjoy a ton of great bands.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#12 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,185 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

I'm an irrational Pearl Jam fan. Every album.
Papers...business papers.

#13 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

Same and then multiplied by a million. Did you go to PJ20?

Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#14 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,089 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

I appreciate the talent. Can't get past the fact that it sounds like listening to someone sing underwater. With marbles in their mouth. With severe facial swelling. Wish I could get past that because when I read their lyrics and imagine it to the music, I think they'd be pretty awesome.

#15 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,185 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:45 AM

Same and then multiplied by a million. Did you go to PJ20?

Most definitely. Can't beat two days at Alpine Valley, over 60 songs with one repeat, and a Temple of the Dog reunion.

#16 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,185 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:46 AM

I appreciate the talent. Can't get past the fact that it sounds like listening to someone sing underwater. With marbles in their mouth. With severe facial swelling. Wish I could get past that because when I read their lyrics and imagine it to the music, I think they'd be pretty awesome.

That sounds like a you problem. It's not for everyone.

#17 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:06 AM

Ben, I don't hate against all country music. Zac Brown is pretty good. Problem is with what they play on the stations. I'd listen to it a lot more if they played better music.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#18 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,089 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

That sounds like a you problem. It's not for everyone.

Yeah, would never knock their talent. I just don't know what Vedder has against coherency.

#19 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

Yeah, would never knock their talent. I just don't know what Vedder has against coherency.

My problem with Pearl Jam is that they don't demonstrate much musical and vocal diversity--they seem to exploit the same kind of brooding guitars and vocals throughout all their hits--though sometimes their poignancy is undeniable. While I like the sound, beyond Pearl Jam's lyrics (and even then...), I don't necessarily find them particularly artistic.

Pearl Jam just has nothing on Nirvana, imo.

#20 luke829

luke829

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

My problem with Pearl Jam is that they don't demonstrate much musical and vocal diversity--they seem to exploit the same kind of brooding guitars and vocals throughout all their hits--though sometimes their poignancy is undeniable. While I like the sound, beyond Pearl Jam's lyrics (and even then...), I don't necessarily find them particularly artistic.

Nirvana MTV Unplugged -Sweet Home Alabama - YouTube

They were quite the multitaskers

#21 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,089 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

You'll get no argument from me on that, couldn't agree more. I know he gets a lot of love, but Grohl is truly an amazing talent that is worthy of every bit of it.

#22 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,185 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

I don't know if that's entirely fair. They play a range of styles and their sound has evolved quite a bit over two decades. They haven't really added instruments, they don't do a ton with percussion and Vedder's voice is what it is. I still see them as the quintessential garage band and they are extremely good live. That probably impacts my opinion as I have probably seen them 15 times in concert and they never disappoint and always mix up their sets.

#23 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,185 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

You'll get no argument from me on that, couldn't agree more. I know he gets a lot of love, but Grohl is truly an amazing talent that is worthy of every bit of it.

Grohl is a great talent. Big fan of Nirvana and Foo Fighters as well.

#24 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,089 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

Grohl is a great talent. Big fan of Nirvana and Foo Fighters as well.

Yeah, I think some of why I dog PJ is because I see the potential to be as great as I feel those two bands are. I just personally can't get past a few things. So I don't want to come off as bashing them, they just never captured my attention.

#25 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

I've seen Pearl Jam about 10 times and Foo Fighters maybe 5 times. Both put on a really great show, but PJ blows FF out of the water. I think the live experience really made me appreciate PJ and Eddie Vedder a lot more than I originally did. I can totally understand why people rag on Eddie's voice, but I love it and I think it's gotten much better over the years.

Where does everyone stand on Queens of the Stone Age? They seem to bridge a gap between PJ and Nirvana, artistic but no-nonsense at the same time.

Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#26 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

I don't know if that's entirely fair. They play a range of styles and their sound has evolved quite a bit over two decades. They haven't really added instruments, they don't do a ton with percussion and Vedder's voice is what it is. I still see them as the quintessential garage band and they are extremely good live. That probably impacts my opinion as I have probably seen them 15 times in concert and they never disappoint and always mix up their sets.

They added Boom! I love what they have done with his organ.

Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#27 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,185 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

They added Boom! I love what they have done with his organ.

Of course I love Boom, but the organ is the only instrument they have really added outside of the guitars and drums. I am typically a huge fan of strings or horns on top of guitar/drums, would love to see Pearl Jam experiment with that at some point.
Papers...business papers.

#28 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

Of course I love Boom, but the organ is the only instrument they have really added outside of the guitars and drums. I am typically a huge fan of strings or horns on top of guitar/drums, would love to see Pearl Jam experiment with that at some point.

Yes, very good point. Are you into the Afghan Whigs at all? I like how they use non-traditional rock instruments.

Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#29 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,988 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

Chocolate Girl by Animal Collective on Spirit They're Gone Spirit, They're Vanished - Free Music Streaming, Online Music, Videos - Grooveshark

#30 Oxtung

Oxtung

I don't skinny dip. I chunky dunk.

• Members
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

It's amazing how different styles/songs/artists strike different chords with different people. Even though the '90s is my "generation" I can't stand the bands you've listed. Not a one. Give me some Muse or some ACDC please!