Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Miller: Gardy wants more pop off the bench....

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,956 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

...and isn't necessarily committing to a 3rd catcher.

He said something else interesting after workouts, too: He's tired of feeling like he has no options in the late innings. Light-hitting infielders and spare catchers aren't enough, and Gardenhire said he hasn't even decided yet whether a third catcher will be necessary. "I'm going to have a better bench this year," Gardenhire said. "I told Terry [Ryan, the general manager], I'd like to have more pop off the bench."

First, I'll believe it when I see it. But it will be interesting to see of Ryan would consider signing a bench bat if Gardy has the guts to leave Butera waiting in Rochester.

I don't know if any of these guys look especially productive, but Carlos Lee, Derrek Lee and.....Jim Thome are all still unsigned.

http://www.startribu.../192323891.html

#2 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

It sounds like, if Gardy is going to take the fall for this team, he's going to do it on his terms. I like it.

#3 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,085 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

Gardy should 100% have say in how the bench is made up, and Ryan should be responsible for getting him that bench. Of course, the Vikings said they'd use Allen in a rotation more to keep him fresh this last season......so like John, I'm in a wait and see mode.
Lighten up Francis....

#4 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

Did he mean speed instead of pop? :-)

#5 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

Replace Butera with a 24 pack of Diet Rite.

#6 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

It sounds like, if Gardy is going to take the fall for this team, he's going to do it on his terms. I like it.

+1, like it.

#7 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

First, I'll believe it when I see it.

Second, I'll believe it when I see it.

#8 CDog

CDog

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

I could maybe go back and try to find some evidence on my own, but can anyone remember what changed between the end of Spring Training '12 and whenever it was that Butera came up? They broke camp last year with only Mauer and Doumit as catchers. That makes me think it's possible they could do it again, but I would feel better if I could remember the reason (whether or not it's a good one) that they changed the situation, and especially if that reason had reverted to its state of last year at the end of spring.

#9 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

I could maybe go back and try to find some evidence on my own, but can anyone remember what changed between the end of Spring Training '12 and whenever it was that Butera came up? They broke camp last year with only Mauer and Doumit as catchers. That makes me think it's possible they could do it again, but I would feel better if I could remember the reason (whether or not it's a good one) that they changed the situation, and especially if that reason had reverted to its state of last year at the end of spring.

I believe it's when Morneau was shelved for a couple weeks at the beginning of May that brought that along...

#10 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,416 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

This is exactly what I personally wanted to hear.

I have high hopes for the offense this year... I think the starting lineup can score some runs... Knock some balls out of the park... I think the offense will do very nicely even with our SS's and 2B options.

However, Someone will have to be able to pinch hit for our lighter hitting options and we don't have that guy on our roster right now. It's our biggest offensive need in my opinion.

It's odd I know... But... having someone to pinch hit for our SS and 2B spots is a bigger issue than having a SS or 2B who needs to be pinch hit for.

They got to find someone... Thome... Derek or Carlos Lee... Vlad the Impaler... Jack Cust... Dallas MacPherson... Clement... Tie Domi... Someone with Power.

#11 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

II would be delighted with more pop off the bench.
Wonder where that will come from...
Arcia?

#12 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

Vlad is an interesting name. Righthanded, pull hitter, still 38.

He would be a horrible example to the younger guys of plate discipline though.

#13 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

...and isn't necessarily committing to a 3rd catcher.

First, I'll believe it when I see it. But it will be interesting to see of Ryan would consider signing a bench bat if Gardy has the guts to leave Butera waiting in Rochester.

I don't know if any of these guys look especially productive, but Carlos Lee, Derrek Lee and.....Jim Thome are all still unsigned.

http://www.startribu.../192323891.html

Nice post John impressed ...

#14 CRArko

CRArko

Visiting Castle Anthrax

• Members
  • 1,471 posts
  • LocationCamelot? 'Tis a silly place.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

Maybe that's why they were saving Molitor.

#15 CDog

CDog

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

Vlad is an interesting name. Righthanded, pull hitter, still 38.

He would be a horrible example to the younger guys of plate discipline though.

Counter-examples are sometimes very effective! Kind of like satire. Or something. "Here's what we were telling you not to do. You see it now?"

#16 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

Counter examples are only effective when the guy looks bad doing it though. A distant possibility, Vlad would be the best hitter on the team.

#17 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,416 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

Counter-examples are sometimes very effective! Kind of like satire. Or something. "Here's what we were telling you not to do. You see it now?"

lol... What happened to the "Like" button... I don't want to post anything... I just want to like this comment!

#18 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

Man I want to believe this so bad......just can't. Gardy has defeated my will to believe in rationality with this team's roster construction. Fingers crossed.

#19 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,653 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

I'd like to believe this... wouldn't mind seeing Thome back here if he wanted to return...

#20 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

Here goes. Twins wouldn't need "pop off the bench" if it was put in the lineup in the first place. Gardy probably has figured-out that every game situation late in the game Morneau will face a LHP and he needs a RHB who "has some pop". Had the Twins figured this out a few weeks ago, they could have signed said RHB "with some pop" for about $1MM plus some incentives--or shall I say re-signed.

#21 LoganJones

LoganJones

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

What's that? They should have re signed Delmon Young to pinch hit for Morneau?

#22 PatMearesFan

PatMearesFan

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

i know i bashed gardy in the other thread, but this is good to here. i am very glad he wants "pop" off the bench, which is a nice change of pace from the "POOP" that has been on our bench the last few years!!!!!

#23 LoganJones

LoganJones

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

i know i bashed gardy in the other thread, but this is good to here. i am very glad he wants "pop" off the bench, which is a nice change of pace from the "POOP" that has been on our bench the last few years!!!!!

A poop joke?

#24 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

What's wrong with poop jokes?

#25 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,291 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

I think that the Twins should fill the bench spot from the inside. Absolutely no reason to bring anyone that old (other than selling tickets if that is Thome) where they are. Colabello/Ramirez/Romero probably have more pop than Thome and the Lees at this point. Give them a chance.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#26 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

Is Vladamir Guerro alive and well? To add pop from within, there was no AAA bats worth mentioning so why would you want another inferior bat, AA player, bat only? Colabello maybe.

#27 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

lol... What happened to the "Like" button... I don't want to post anything... I just want to like this comment!

+1, brother.

#28 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

What's wrong with poop jokes?

I honestly misread the headline to this article, in exactly that way.

#29 Otwins

Otwins

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

A bench bat does make sense if you are going to have Florimon start at SS. I would not assume that gardy will part with Butera.While I like the idea of the minor league guys getting a chance, pinch hitting is a skill that takes time to develop. I doubt that our minor league players could adjust to the majors and pinch hitting. I read that Scott Rolen would like to play again but that Cincy was not interested. Wonder what he thinks of the Twins. If Plouffe struggles Rolen could spell him at 3B.

Edited by Otwins, 21 February 2013 - 06:57 PM.

#30 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,469 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

II would be delighted with more pop off the bench.
Wonder where that will come from...
Arcia?

I can pretty much guarantee that Oswaldo Arcia will not be the bench bat. He needs to play!