Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Zulgad: Departure of friend gives Mastroianni a golden opportunity

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,490 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

http://www.1500espn....ortunity_022013

When Ben Revere was traded, Darin Mastroianni had mixed emotions. He and Revere were very close friends, but he now has an opportunity to be the Twins starting CF.

Very good story!

#2 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,523 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

Very few doors get opened for players like Mastro... This may be his only door. You gotta pull for a guy in a situation like this... don't you? How do you not grip the bat tighter?

His baseball future gets carved in the next few months. We often lose sight of these individual dramas. It means everything to a player.

Edited by Riverbrian, 20 February 2013 - 06:36 PM.

#3 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

Many players like Mastroianni never get a chance to become a starter. If everything falls into place for him maybe he approaches a Lew Ford-type season. I doubt that happens, but I can't say I would complain if it does and he delays Hicks. At worst, he provides a solid option as a 4th outfielder who can play all three positions.

#4 LoganJones

LoganJones

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

If things don't go well for our 2B options and Mastro shows something while warming the spot for Hicks, why not give him a shot there?

#5 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,523 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

If things don't go well for our 2B options and Mastro shows something while warming the spot for Hicks, why not give him a shot there?

We asked that question last year when we were begging for decent 2B play.

Someone presented an article that quoted Gardy as saying that Mastro takes infield a lot but isn't very good at it.

I think Gardy's quote was something along the lines of... "Might as well put him the outfield because if he played 2nd base... The ball was going to end up in the outfield anyway".

#6 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

We asked that question last year when we were begging for decent 2B play.

Someone presented an article that quoted Gardy as saying that Mastro takes infield a lot but isn't very good at it.

I think Gardy's quote was something along the lines of... "Might as well put him the outfield because if he played 2nd base... The ball was going to end up in the outfield anyway".

If we're going that route, I vote to bring back Jim Thome to play 2B.

#7 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

Nice story. He will be here at the most thru next year unless he is better than everyone thinks.

#8 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,523 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

If we're going that route, I vote to bring back Jim Thome to play 2B.

C'mon now... That's the silliest thing I've ever read... Thome is a 40 plus DH who can play an occasional 1B if needed.

It should be Doumit at 2B... Thome at DH... C'mon... You know better!!! ;)