Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Twins Sign RHP Kyle Davies

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,571 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:54 AM

According to Jerry Crasnick (via Twitter), the Twins have signed veteran RHP Kyle Davies to a minor league contract. The deal does not come with an invitation to big league camp.

The 29-year-old pitched for the Braes from 2005 to 2007 when he was traded to the Royals at the July trade deadline for Octavio Dotel. He was with the Royals into the 2011 season, but after going 1-9 with a 6.75 ERA, and attempts to turn things around in the minor leagues, he was released in August. He quickly signed with the Blue Jays organization where he pitched in AAA. However, he did not pitch at all in 2012 due to some shoulder issues.

Overall, in seven big league seasons, he is 43-65 with a 5.59 ERA. This is clearly just a move for minor league depth and to give a guy an opportunity to get back into the game. It will be interesting to see where he is at health-wise, and if he is able to make the New Britain or Rochester rosters this spring.

#2 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:23 AM

I hope Terry signed Hawkeye and Trapper john also with every walking wounded pitcher coming to the Minnesota rehab center,we are going to need some meatball surgery, for our meatball pitchers

(rehab was stolen from another poster)

#3 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,855 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:28 AM

With all these injured pitchers being signed, it makes me wonder if the Twins medical staff is asking Ryan for practice patients.

Dr. Spaceman is on the job!

#4 gmarais66

gmarais66

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

The Twins have reportedly signed pitcher Kyle Davies to a minor league contract. The signing apparently does not include an invitation to major league spring training. Davies started 13 games for the Royals in 2011 and posted a dismal 6.75 ERA.... He last pitched in AAA for the Blue Jays and didn't pitch last year. He's pretty much a minor league filler....

Edited by gmarais66, 20 February 2013 - 08:54 AM.

#5 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

• Members
  • 682 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

Why?
He has never had an ERA under 4.00 nor a WHIP under 1.4 in 7 MLB seasons. (career ERA 5.59)
Have the Twins decided to become 'Rehab Central' just out of charity?
Or maybe they feel they don't have enough pitchers in camp.

#6 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:08 AM

You can never have enough pitching. Maybe one or two of the low risk chances payoff. If none nothing ventured nothing gained.

#7 LoganJones

LoganJones

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

Why?
He has never had an ERA under 4.00 nor a WHIP under 1.4 in 7 MLB seasons. (career ERA 5.59)
Have the Twins decided to become 'Rehab Central' just out of charity?
Or maybe they feel they don't have enough pitchers in camp.

It's a minor league signing with no invite to big league camp. They do need to fill out their rotation at AA and AAA.

#8 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

At least now they care and are trying.

#9 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

No risk. Maybe he finds some of the stuff he had in the minors when he had K rates over 9. Worst case, he'll eat innings in the high minors while guys like Solliman and Salcedo prove they are ready for promotion.

#10 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,235 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

Are they short of pitchers in AAA? These signings just look desperate to me.

#11 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,855 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

This is what teams do in February. They invite a bunch of people to play, see where they need the help in the minors, and plug them into the needed positions.

#12 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,571 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

Like I wrote, there's no guarantee that he'll make the New Britain roster, much less the Rochester roster.

#13 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,259 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

I don't know - I have him penciled in as the starter in Game 7 of the Series this year.

#14 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,111 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

I don't know - I have him penciled in as the starter in Game 7 of the Series this year.

Nah, he'll throw a complete game to finish the 4-game sweep. Think big, brother.