Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins Daily 2021 Top Prospects: #3 Trevor Larnach

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 10:54 AM

Larnach pulled this bomba just fine in Spring Training last year ;) :

• birdwatcher, DocBauer and MN_ExPat like this

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#22 dbminn

dbminn

Wichita Wind Surge

• 894 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 23 February 2021 - 11:01 AM

I remember when Musgrove was traded to the Pods, there were reports that Twins were also interested but Pirates asked for Larnach and Twins turned it down.Just a rumor but wonder what others think about wisdom of trading from area of strength in the organization for someone like Musgrove?What if Larnach could fetch a pitcher like Sonny Gray or being the top trade piece for Luis Castillo?How about one of the Dodger studs like May or Urias?Would this keep the window open longer?

Pitchers like Musgrove - at his salary - don't come along all that often. The FO obviously knows better about the players and the proposed trade terms. In general, I have no problem trading a potential star corner OF for a young, above-average SP at this point. You trade from excess for areas of need. 

#23 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,760 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 05:55 PM

Our Rankings: 

Seth: 3

Nick: 4

Tom: 3

Cody: 3 

#24 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 7,191 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 07:25 PM

Me continuing to pretend I know anything:

1] The size, strength and stroke are all there for him to develop real power. He seems to have a good eye. Sounds a lot like Kirilloff doesn't it? I see no reason why he shouldn't continue to adapt through experience to be at least a little better at pulling the ball. But as stated by others previously, there is nothing wrong with having the ability to hit rockets to the opposite field and center field as well.

2] I've never heard anything that he can't be a solid defensive RF. Maybe not as good as Kepler, but solid. Reports are he has the arm for RF. Kirilloff is probably a little better athlete with a little more speed...he played some CF in HS and I believe a little when initially signed...and might be a better fit in LF where I believe there is a little more ground to cover.

3] While trades may yet happen, I've been pleased the FO seems to have fit team needs without trading talent at this point, even though there appears to be a pending logjam in the OF. And I'm starting to wonder if there might not be room for everyone with Cruz gone, possibly, after 2021. Kirilloff in LF, Larnach in RF, (though I'm sure each could play the other corner just fine), Rooker able to fill in at both corners as well as DH and 1B, where Kiriloff could also fill in. You still have Kepler in RF and backing up CF. There could absolutely be room for everyone rotating between 3 1/2 spots in the field and DH.

Not saying that's the way it's going to play out but it's sure interesting to contemplate. The monkey wrench may be if Donaldson has to shift to 1B or DH. Hopefully that is not the case.
  • MN_ExPat likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#25 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 3,882 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 08:14 PM

I want Larnach to be a big time stud just so I can laugh in Keith Law's face for not including him in his top 100. 

I hope you laughed at TD for not having Arraez in their top ten the years before he came up.