Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Sansevere: Memo To Twins...hope isn't a strategy

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

Pi Press columnist Bob Sansevere takes issue with the Twins decision to target pitchers coming off of injuries:

While other teams spend money to sign players who are both healthy and talented, the Twins expend hope on pitchers in various stages of recovery from injuries.

It's a lot cheaper that way.

I guess I'd be OK with signing injured pitchers if there were some upside, but in most cases there really isn't.

http://www.twincitie...e-isnt-strategy

#2 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

Did he issue this on the official memo stationary? If not, I'm not sure it can be properly processed.

"Let's get after it." ~ Someone on the Twins, probably.
Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#3 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

But for real, there are several issues with this article. First, Worley was not signed, the Twins traded for him. Second, Marquis doesn't have an injury-pocked past. Therefore his "several pitchers with injury-pocked pasts" is a list of one - Joel Zumaya. Zumaya was worth taking a risk on, if you ask me. He makes no mention of the Correia signing, who while unpopular, is certainly not an injury risk any more than any other pitcher.

Ripping the Twins' strategy related to pitching is reasonable, but these arguments are pretty shallow and ill-fitting. The last line was cute though.

Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#4 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

Nice article.

#5 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

'Second, Marquis doesn't have an injury-pocked past.'

Marquis only pitched 132 innings in 2011 and only 59 innings in 2010. Was there something other than injury keeping him from pitching more?

#6 FrodaddyG

FrodaddyG

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

Marquis only pitched 132 innings in 2011 and only 59 innings in 2010. Was there something other than injury keeping him from pitching more?

Don't forget that Correia's innings total was also skewed by his demotion from the juggernaut Pirates' staff.

#7 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

Injuries. However, the injury in 2011 was a contact injury, I think he got hit with a batted ball or something. It's not like he was coming off TJ. He was just bad. If Sansevere wanted to complain about the Twins signing bad pitchers, it would have been a more valid argument.

Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#8 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,415 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

Off the top of my head, constantly getting pulled before pitching 5 innings might do it. However, be it the injury or ineffectivenss arguement, they are both fitting and relevant to the Twins normal offseason stratagies.

#9 FrodaddyG

FrodaddyG

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

Injuries. However, the injury in 2011 was a contact injury, I think he got hit with a batted ball or something. It's not like he was coming off TJ. He was just bad. If Sansevere wanted to complain about the Twins signing bad pitchers, it would have been a more valid argument.

Whew, at least it wasn't TJS. It would have been a waste of money to guarantee several million to a guy coming off of TJS. Thank goodness the Twins are wise enough not to do that.

#10 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

Off the top of my head, constantly getting pulled before pitching 5 innings might do it. However, be it the injury or ineffectivenss arguement, they are both fitting and relevant to the Twins normal offseason stratagies.

can't explain away only 59 IP :-)

#11 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

Don't forget that Correia's innings total was also skewed by his demotion from the juggernaut Pirates' staff.

The 137 one was...not the 59 innings one :-)

#12 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

Whew, at least it wasn't TJS. It would have been a waste of money to guarantee several million to a guy coming off of TJS. Thank goodness the Twins are wise enough not to do that.

I see what you did there :-)

#13 LoganJones

LoganJones

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

If all you see from the Twins offseason is 'hope', then you're bad at your job, Bob.

#14 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

If all you see from the Twins offseason is 'hope', then you're bad at your job, Bob.

as it pertains to 2013?

#15 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,695 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

You're right, most of the country doesn't even see that.