Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Neal: Plouffe and Twins Want Him To Stay At One Position

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

La Velle E Neal busts out his writing chops with a story on how the team is viewing Trevor Plouffe this year:

Glove representatives will be disappointed to learn that Trevor Plouffe doesn't need your business the way he used to. He will sign up for that third baseman's glove, but he will no longer need to keep a glove for nearly every position.
Drafted as a shortstop, tried in the outfield, looked at as a second baseman and now playing third, Plouffe played at least one inning at six positions last season.

FWIW, I think we can add Twins fans to the list of people that would like Plouffe to stay at a position. What has stopped him has been fielding competently at any one (infield) position. So make it happen, Trevor.

Settled at one position, Twins' Plouffe hopes he sticks | StarTribune.com

#2 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,291 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

Thanks for posting this. Please add me to the list of people who hope that Plouffe can stick at third base.

#3 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

I'd like to see him stick there for now and get comfortable at the plate... If the Twins have a 3B propsect pressing at the door in the near future, they can discuss a move to 2nd... but for now, let him learn 3rd.

#4 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,567 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

Health is my only concern about Plouffe... If healthy... I really think he will play an above average 3B... Hit .240 to .260 with around 35 homers.

We will all be happy with that kind of production. No legitimate options to play third besides him. The eggs are in the Plouffe Basket.

#5 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,308 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

I'd like to see Plouffe stick at third. The parallels with Cuddyer are not even funny for the ones who watched the Cuddyer saga since it started (when he was moved all over the infield and at the end ended up at RF) The interesting part in the comparison is that at the same age, Cuddyer did not even have half of Plouffe's power. Will be fun to see his development
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#6 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

I'd like to see Plouffe stick at third. The parallels with Cuddyer are not even funny for the ones who watched the Cuddyer saga since it started (when he was moved all over the infield and at the end ended up at RF) The interesting part in the comparison is that at the same age, Cuddyer did not even have half of Plouffe's power. Will be fun to see his development

Nor did Cuddy ever have a run of success like Plouffe did already this season. I wonder if the move to RF actually helped Cuddyer, or just happened to be where he was playing when he started hitting. I wish I would have asked him that when he was here.

#7 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,993 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

Trevor's June 2012 was almost as good as Delmon's July 2010.

#8 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

Half his power? If you are talking strictly HR, then you are correct. 24 HR at age 26 for Plouffe, 12 for Cuddyer. OPS was .756 for Plouffe, .752 for Cuddyer. OPS+ 107 Plouffe, 97 Cuddy. Half his power might be a bit of hyperbole. We can only hope Plouffe can replicate Cuddyer's age 27 season in '06: 100+ runs and RBI, 41 2B, 24 HR and an .867 OPS (124 OPS+).

#9 Jim H

Jim H

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:30 PM

Plouffe looks like an all or nothing type. Occasional hot streaks with long periods of nothing. People like homeruns, so if he hits enough of them, the low average will be overlooked. He does need to field, however. I also agree with the above poster, if he can be close to what Cuddyer did with the bat we should be happy. Cuddyer was a much better minor league hitter, although he was up and down. He was a streaky big league hitter as well, but he generally managed a decent average, had good doubles power, and actually was a better right fielder than most will concede.

#10 sorney

sorney

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

Health is my only concern about Plouffe... If healthy... I really think he will play an above average 3B... Hit .240 to .260 with around 35 homers.

We will all be happy with that kind of production. No legitimate options to play third besides him. The eggs are in the Plouffe Basket.

Happy with that production?!?!
Estatic with that production.

#11 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

Plouffe or a light-hitting utility guy (Carroll or Escobar) at third this year. I'll take my chances with Plouffie. I would say that Plouffe has this year to establish himself. He has established his power, he needs to hit better with runners on base, play better defense and avoid horrendous slumps. His success or lack of it will have a lot to do with the success or lack of it for the Twins this year.

#12 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:20 AM

Plouffe just needs to improve his approach and discipline at the plate, make the plays he's expected to at 3rd and the rest will follow. I think he'll be fine.

#13 FrodaddyG

FrodaddyG

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:18 AM

Plouffe just needs to improve his approach and discipline at the plate, make the plays he's expected to at 3rd and the rest will follow. I think he'll be fine.

So he just has to get better on offense and defense and he should be better. Careful out on that limb.

#14 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

So he just has to get better on offense and defense and he should be better. Careful out on that limb.

Well, thanks for that but I'm really just saying it's not like he has that far to go for this to work out. His deficiencies at the plate are minor, not as if he has to re-tool his whole swing or develop one and he just needs to be acceptable in the field, not be an all-star for everyone to be quite happy.

Anyway, speaking of tools..... Posted Image

Edited by twinsnorth49, 20 February 2013 - 08:39 AM.

#15 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

Well, thanks for that but I'm really just saying it's not like he has that far to go for this to work out. His deficiencies at the plate are minor, not as if he has to re-tool his whole swing or develop one and he just needs to be acceptable in the field, not be an all-star for everyone to be quite happy.

Anyway, speaking of tools..... Posted Image

okay, where did you find that animation?

#16 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

How is this an appropriate comment? I do not see how this moves the conversation along or does anything but make you look small.

To move the converation along, more than frodaddy G ever does, I would like to talk more about this power surge. That month of June was sick. Then the injury came and he really was not even close to the same. I hope that this surge was the rule and not the exception. I am afraid that this may be a little bit of a mirage. His defense shoud indeed improve. The guy has played everywhere and even started out last year as a utility player mostly in the outfield.

#17 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,263 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

How is this an appropriate comment? I do not see how this moves the conversation along or does anything but make you look small.

Moving a conversation along isn't a requirement, and there wasn't anything inappropriate about it. What is inappropriate was the unnecessary shot you took in your comment.

If you have a problem with someone's posts, use the report function or message an administrator.

#18 LoganJones

LoganJones

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

Moving a conversation along isn't a requirement, and there wasn't anything inappropriate about it. What is inappropriate was the unnecessary shot you took in your comment.

If you have a problem with someone's posts, use the report function or message an administrator.

Well, considering you are a moderator and don't see anything inappropriate about the comment, what would be the point of reporting it to you?

#19 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

Sometimes, it's okay to just say something funny instead of "furthering the conversation". After all, the poster basically said "if Plouffe plays better, he'll be a better player".

We're not running a monastery and this is not the town from Footloose, folks. Lighten up a little.

#20 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

Well, considering you are a moderator and don't see anything inappropriate about the comment, what would be the point of reporting it to you?

It would have made it so the moderators made the call instead of a poster coming on here and erroneously calling it an inappropriate post...

#21 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

Now hold on a minute here, Snepp is no mere moderator, he's a super moderator, let's get it right.

Having cleared that up, there was really nothing to moderate, Fro's comment was pointless (maybe mine was too, if you choose the simpleton interpretation), but it wasn't inappropriate. Let's not turn into the mod police.

#22 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,263 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

My point, which I didn't do a very good job of making, is that there is a "Report Post" function available at the bottom of every post (the little icon with the exclamation point). This will bring any potentially problematic posts to the attention of the entire staff, and is much preferable to starting what could easily turn into a pissing match. Report the post, move along, and allow the admins to determine if any action is necessary.

It would have made it so the moderators made the call instead of a poster coming on here and erroneously calling it an inappropriate post...

Thank you, that's exactly what I meant.

#23 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

okay, where did you find that animation?

There's some classics on here, my personal fave is the guy setting himself on fire. I'm waiting until the season starts to use it....or until Lightfoot posts something again.

http://www.sherv.net...-emoticons.html

#24 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

There's some classics on here, my personal fave is the guy setting himself on fire. I'm waiting until the season starts to use it....or until Lightfoot posts something again.

http://www.sherv.net...-emoticons.html

That's funny! Thanks for the link

#25 LoganJones

LoganJones

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

Mhm. Since the mods and the twerp seem to differ on what's appropriate and not, oh never-mind.

#26 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

Mhm. Since the mods and the twerp seem to differ on what's appropriate and not, oh never-mind.

I got what you were saying...I'm not sure you got where snepp was going with his instruction. True, twerp wouldn't have gotten his way had he simply reported it...but there still would have benefit overall...that benefit being that his post wouldn't have been posted in the first place.

#27 CRArko

CRArko

Consulting Detective

• Members
  • 1,524 posts
  • LocationRight here, silly.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

Of course, if people would stop and think for 30 seconds and try moderating themselves before hitting that old reply button...

We'd have Satchmo singing "What a Wonderful World."

#28 FrodaddyG

FrodaddyG

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

Well, I'm going to side with the ones who are trusted to enforce the forums rules on this one.

I guess I'm not sure what exactly I did that made the Twerp respond like such a, well, twerp to most of my posts. Probably commented on a joke that went over gangbusters at the old MENSA meeting, but fell flat on the forum.

#29 LoganJones

LoganJones

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

I got what you were saying...I'm not sure you got where snepp was going with his instruction. True, twerp wouldn't have gotten his way had he simply reported it...but there still would have benefit overall...that benefit being that his post wouldn't have been posted in the first place.

Haha, good point.

#30 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

Of course, if people would stop and think for 30 seconds and try moderating themselves before hitting that old reply button...

Or if people would stop looking for inappropriateness when it's not there just cause they don't agree with the post to begin with...