Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Bollinger: Herrmann Hopes to break camp as 3rd catcher

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#101 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Mathematically inclined primate

• Members
  • 8,334 posts
  • LocationThe Congo Basin

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

You know this is a false dichotomy between Herrmann and Butera. There are likely several better catching options available than Butera.

I'm thinking Doumit, especially if Mauer catches a few more games this season.

My favorite hope for the bench is only carrying twelve pitchers, and call ups if a guy gets hurt, and not the eternal day to day status.

#102 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

I suspect the whole premise for having Butera on the roster is to carry *only* 12 pitchers, given Butera's history of being able to get one or two starters on track and hold them there during the season. Pavano in 2010 and Liriano in 2012 being the best (only?) examples.

I would be surprised if they have Butera and 13 pitchers.

#103 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 8,685 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

I understand and agree with the goal of maintaining a respectful tone and keeping the overall level of discourse out of the gutter it's fallen into at times, but let's not overcorrect here. If the stuff in this thread is close to crossing the line and arguably even over it, then I think the line is a bit closer to Romper Room than it needs to be.

Jack, you are an exemplary member, I value your opinion and agree that we don;t want this to be like Romper Room.

Please note that we are trying to maintain a balance here where we can foster passionate debate while minimizing personal attacks and feuding. My post was intended to be both proactive and gentle. As a moderator, I have been given powers to assess infractions, to delete posts and to ban people in order to maintain the balance, BUT I never want it to get to any of that. Leviathan and Nick are both great members and I think that we will all benefit if such great members thoughtfully consider the benefits from giving each other just a bit more respect.

#104 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 8,685 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

I suspect it's because some of this stuff carries into thread after thread after... It gets on people's nerves after a while.

You are correct my friend.

#105 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:41 PM

I suspect it's because some of this stuff carries into thread after thread after... It gets on people's nerves after a while.

Ya think? AAAA catcher thread redux...

#106 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• Twins Mods
  • 10,616 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

Funny thing is you're both right. We don't need a 3rd catcher, but if we're forced to accept one, we could do a whole lot better than Butera.

I'm exhausted on this one, it's like punching yourself in the face.

Edited by twinsnorth49, 20 February 2013 - 08:41 AM.

#107 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 8,685 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:02 AM

Funny thing is your both right. We don't need a 3rd catcher, but if we're forced to accept one, we could do a whole lot better than Butera.

I'm exhausted on this one, it's like punching yourself in the face.

I think that you have done a great job summarizing this thread.