Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Murphy: Inteview with Terry Ryan

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,961 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:17 AM

There's lots of good stuff in this interview. It's more extensive than most. Brian Murphy asks specifically about the rotation, defense, middle infield, Harden, Parmelee, Garendhire and a lot more. I'm not sure what to make of Morneau, but Ryan didn't go out of his way to say he would keep him....

Q: We know why Justin Morneau might be traded, but is there a case for him remaining in Minnesota long-term?
A: Sure. That would be the ideal scenario. He's a guy that hits in the middle of the lineup. He's certainly got a resume. He came off a couple tough years through no fault of his own, between the concussions, the wrist and the ankle. But we're looking for him to bounce back, drive in runs -- and if he does that, then the opportunity would arise that maybe we could talk about an extension.

Twins' Terry Ryan Q&A: Ron Gardenhire, Justin Morneau still in Minnesota's plans - TwinCities.com

#2 East Coast Twin

East Coast Twin

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:30 AM

Ryan seems pretty confident that Pelfrey will be ready opening day.

Pelfrey's right on schedule. , , Pelfrey should be in pretty good shape by mid-March.

Not so much with Harden.

Harden, we're going to have to gauge when he gets down there and we see him. We're going to monitor him closely to make sure he doesn't have any setbacks. . . I don't have all the specifics on Harden quite yet on whether he's going to be a starter or a reliever. We're messing with a shoulder here. It's not one you can dictate the time on.

(Harden's) a guy that's a veteran. He knows his body. He's going to know how he feels and where he's at. I'm going to be anxious to get a look at him down there because it could be a high reward for us if we can get him through this thing healthwise.

#3 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:01 AM

I like what he said about Parmalee a lot, I'm really digging his potential as a solid bat for this team. I'm less thrilled with his answers on the middle infield and what he was looking for in a starter. If you want an explanation for why we landed Pelfrey and Correia over the other options available, it's clear that they wanted durability over talent. Which is a huge part of the organizational problem.

#4 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:30 AM

I like what he said about Parmalee a lot, I'm really digging his potential as a solid bat for this team. I'm less thrilled with his answers on the middle infield and what he was looking for in a starter. If you want an explanation for why we landed Pelfrey and Correia over the other options available, it's clear that they wanted durability over talent. Which is a huge part of the organizational problem.

Do you mean the fact that they value durability over talent is a huge problem?

#5 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

There's lots of good stuff in this interview. It's more extensive than most. Brian Murphy asks specifically about the rotation, defense, middle infield, Harden, Parmelee, Garendhire and a lot more. I'm not sure what to make of Morneau, but Ryan didn't go out of his way to say he would keep him....

Twins' Terry Ryan Q&A: Ron Gardenhire, Justin Morneau still in Minnesota's plans - TwinCities.com

I probably read too much into things, but Ryan's focus on Morneau driving in runs does not do much to persuade me they've moved beyond antiquated stats.

#6 Celebrity Weddings!

Celebrity Weddings!

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

I probably read too much into things, but Ryan's focus on Morneau driving in runs does not do much to persuade me they've moved beyond antiquated stats.

I think you're at risk of turning stats-speak orthodoxy into a shibboleth.

It was about as casual a mention of what Morneau offers a lineup as a GM could possibly muster. Moreover, it answers the specific question about Morneau's longterm future in Minnesota because it affirms his value to the team. RBI aren't a good way to measure an individual player's value, but whenever the next competitive Twins team takes the field they will assuredly need runs to be driven in. More simply put, he's talking about driving in runs as an ends and not a means. This isn't Tony Batista* here. Morneau was a 5 win player went he went down mid-season in 2010. I think Terry Ryan is aware of what makes Justin Morneau a good hitter.

*see what I did there. it's a defense of the conversation whilst acknowledging that the organization has run in some screwy ways before. if you want to beef with acquisitions, go right ahead. but "drive in runs" is a perfectly valid, if slightly lazy shorthand for describing how somebody can benefit a team offensively.

#7 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,309 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

If I wanted to trade a guy and keep his value high, I would say that he is "an integral part of this team", "would love to sign him long term", "he is a clubhouse leader" and all those kind of cliches that Ryan is saying about Morneau.

Plus, I would not take Ryan's word as a gospel. This is the guy who said "no more scholarships" from one side of his mouth and handed Butera one from the other side of his mouth. And this is the guy who said that his goal for the 2013 Twins is to compete (in the same article) "we're going to go into this season looking to compete"

Huge grain of salt...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#8 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

Despite all of the advanced stats to describe individual performances, it is still a team game. Players have roles. Morneau's role is to drive in runs. If he does that, all the rest of the statistics you want to hear will happen.

#9 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

I
Plus, I would not take Ryan's word as a gospel. This is the guy who said "no more scholarships" from one side of his mouth and handed Butera one from the other side of his mouth. And this is the guy who said that his goal for the 2013 Twins is to compete (in the same article) "we're going to go into this season looking to compete"

Huge grain of salt...

You might want to remember who said

[FONT=Georgia]We're away from the scholarships," manager Ron Gardenhire said Friday. "No more scholarships because[/FONT][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#888888]Posted Image[COLOR=#003366][FONT=verdana]Minnesota Twins infielder Luke Hughes on Friday, March 2, 2012, at spring training in Florida. (Pioneer Press: John Shipley)[/FONT][/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia]we don't have anybody else. You earn it or you don't earn it. Scholarship program's out."[/FONT]

the quote first of all.

Then you might want to remember that it was about staying on the big league club, not the contract itself.

#10 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

Reusse: How far will Terry Ryan take no-scholarship approach? - Minnesota Twins news | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) | Sportswire: Minnesota Twins

1st paragraph of both

Drew Butera loses his scholarship as Twins set Opening Day roster » AaronGleeman.com » Aaron Gleeman's Baseball and Minnesota Twins Blog

Edited by ThePuck, 09 February 2013 - 10:40 AM.

#11 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

the key phrase is ideal situation = if he is back to his old self , MVP form and accepts a very team friendly lowball contract.....

#12 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

Reusse: How far will Terry Ryan take no-scholarship approach? - Minnesota Twins news | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) | Sportswire: Minnesota Twins

1st paragraph of both

It seems to me that his scholarship was renewed very soon after that article was published and has been fully renewed this year with an even higher stipend.

#13 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

It seems to me that his scholarship was renewed very soon after that article was published and has been fully renewed this year with an even higher stipend.

Well, there's that point for sure...and the point that he talked about scholarships as well. Not just Gardy.

#14 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,500 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

People seriously need to get over the Butera/Scholarship thing. Once Butera was promoted, Mauer and Doumit could play every day and Butera played a good role as the backup catcher who rarely played.

As for Morneau, I think they would have dealt him last year if they had been offered anything for him. I definitely have no problem with keeping him around long-term if he looks like he can get back to nearly his old self and is willing to sign for less. I love when great players stay on one team their whole career. But the money will be the key. Also, if they don't get offered anything for him, makes no sense.

As for Willingham, same thing. He's due $7 million each of the next two years. That's very fair. If other teams don't offer something of value for him, might as well keep a productive middle-of-the-order bat.

Also, we all know that RBI are a little over-valued, but as others have said, when there are runners in scoring position, it's a good thing to knock them in.

#15 edavis0308

edavis0308

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

People seriously need to get over the Butera/Scholarship thing. Once Butera was promoted, Mauer and Doumit could play every day and Butera played a good role as the backup catcher who rarely played.

As for Morneau, I think they would have dealt him last year if they had been offered anything for him. I definitely have no problem with keeping him around long-term if he looks like he can get back to nearly his old self and is willing to sign for less. I love when great players stay on one team their whole career. But the money will be the key. Also, if they don't get offered anything for him, makes no sense.

As for Willingham, same thing. He's due $7 million each of the next two years. That's very fair. If other teams don't offer something of value for him, might as well keep a productive middle-of-the-order bat.

Also, we all know that RBI are a little over-valued, but as others have said, when there are runners in scoring position, it's a good thing to knock them in.

I don't get the love for something like Morneau's RBI total when there is a complete disregard for a two hole hitter that can OBP north of something like .300. It's mind boggling. But I digress.

#16 Jim H

Jim H

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

Durability is certainly important. It is largely what put Blyleven in the Hall of Fame. He hardly ever went to the All Star game, never came close to a Cy Young, only won 20 games once during an era when there were many 20 game winners a year. Certainly, the strikeouts and shutouts were important, but equally talented comptemporaries didn't make the Hall because they weren't as durable as Blyleven.

Now, we aren't taking about Blylevens here, but if Ryan believes Corriea and Pelfrey are likely to be more durable than roughly equilivent, equally available, and similarily affordable options, then yes, it made sense to target them. The real problem for us, is we don't really know who was really available to the Twins. We also don't necessarilly agree on roughly equilivent, and probably don't care about affordable. It is also true that likely more durable, doesn't mean will be more durable.

#17 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,207 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

I would argue IP is the single most important stat for a starting pitcher. By far.

#18 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,309 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

I would argue IP is the single most important stat for a starting pitcher. By far.

As would be minutes played for basketball players and plays in for football players?
(all 3 manager's/coach's choice stats...)
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#19 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

what?

#20 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,767 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

Ok, argue away, I'm very interested.

#21 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

'Q: What are you demanding of this new rotation? A: Health. If we're healthy, I think we'll be OK. '

So it makes sense he traded for a pitcher who was hurt last year (Worley) and signed a guy coming off TJ surgery (Pelfrey) and, of course, a guy with a healthy track record of Harden...

#22 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

In an abstract sense, yes. After all, all pitching stats are only relevant when compared to IP.

As a stat on its own, no way.

#23 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,207 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

Are runs and outs not the two most important stats in baseball? IP is the measure of how many outs you get.

I will agree that ks, bbs, hrs tell you quite a bit about performance but they are much less useful in smaller samples. Any good starting pitcher will say that their goal in the start of the season is to hit x amount of innings and everything else takes care of itself.

#24 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,207 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

As would be minutes played for basketball players and plays in for football players?
(all 3 manager's/coach's choice stats...)

This is a terrible comparison.

#25 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,580 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

Unless the team has absolutely no options or the manager is insane. IP will tell you that a pitcher is decent because if he's not... He won't be given any more innings to throw.

Yes there are a ton of different variables to that... it's not cut and dried but nothing really ever is... In a very simple way... IP is a good measure to cut thru a lot of bull and determine if a pitcher has been healthy and at least somewhat effective. If he ain't healthy and he ain't effective... It will show up in IP.

I kinda agree with the point that drjim is making. At least the point that I think he is making.

#26 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

If I wanted to trade a guy and keep his value high, I would say that he is "an integral part of this team", "would love to sign him long term", "he is a clubhouse leader" and all those kind of cliches that Ryan is saying about Morneau.

Huge grain of salt...

With the amount of criticism you repeatedly dish out regarding Butera, assistant coaches, etc, I do wonder if you have a fundamental understanding of what things are actually important to making a baseball team win.

In the mind of Twins' personnel, Butera has done his job and met their expectations over the last few of years. To them he has earned the job and it is not a scholarship. You can disagree and lament his crappy bat all you want, but that's how it is. Probably best to come to terms with this reality.

#27 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,207 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

Unless the team has absolutely no options or the manager is insane. IP will tell you that a pitcher is decent because if he's not... He won't be given any more innings to throw.

Yes there are a ton of different variables to that... it's not cut and dried but nothing really ever is... In a very simple way... IP is a good measure to cut thru a lot of bull and determine if a pitcher has been healthy and at least somewhat effective. If he ain't healthy and he ain't effective... It will show up in IP.

I kinda agree with the point that drjim is making. At least the point that I think he is making.

This is a good summary. I would never say IP is the only stat that matters, but it is a really quick way to determine health and effectiveness. It is always the first stat I look at for starting pitchers.
Papers...business papers.

#28 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,921 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

Once Butera was promoted, Mauer and Doumit could play every day and Butera played a good role as the backup catcher who rarely played.

Once the ink was dry on Doumit's contract, it was clear the Twins would carry a third catcher and it would be someone like Butera. In a day and age where teams often carry only 13 position players, someone like Doumit strikes me as a false bargain. Sign a good-field no-hit catcher, and you have to compensate with a bench player who will pinch-hit for this catcher when you are behind; in other games, this bench player can handle a different role. When you sign a good-hit no-field catcher, your bench option is to get another catcher. This is why the Twins were able to "out bid" any other team for Doumit's services.

The scholarship to Butera is just shorthand for this larger strategic choice.

#29 FrodaddyG

FrodaddyG

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

This is a good summary. I would never say IP is the only stat that matters, but it is a really quick way to determine health and effectiveness. It is always the first stat I look at for starting pitchers.

Because it's usually on the far left of the stat line?

#30 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,207 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

Because it's usually on the far left of the stat line?

I was thinking more end of the year.
Papers...business papers.