Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Nishioka Among Twins Second Roster Cuts

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,481 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:21 AM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...ond-Roster-Cuts

#2 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:55 AM

Glad to see them making the first hard decision they need to make this year. I hope they continue to make them (Butera would be next on my list of decisions that are hard for the Twins to make, but that show they are going to start making them). It's clear Nishioka is not currently a MLB player. And, I'll admit, I thought it was a good gamble to take (having never seen him, I went on faith that the scouts saw something there).
Lighten up Francis....

#3 dberthia

dberthia

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:18 AM

Agree completely with "mike wants wins". It's not fair to the team to keep folks like Nishi and Butera on a big league roster. I'm hopeful that they're going to continue to keep making the right decisions this year by dropping Butera. Sad to say it, but I think it's time to encourage Morneau to retire as well. It's a damn shame it's come to this, but again, it's really not fair to the team to keep him on the big league roster.

#4 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:23 AM

Understandable decision with Nishioka, who seems to be having trouble learning the MLB basics of fielding. Nobody wants to see a guy get hurt out there because he doesn't know how to protect himself turning a double play. I just hope Nishi is able to learn and regain his confidence. He could still be a good utility man, possibly a starting 2B.

#5 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:42 AM

Agree with jimbo, I'd love to see him learn and succeed.
Lighten up Francis....

#6 J-Dog Dungan

J-Dog Dungan

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

So that means that these guys are left to fight for the last few roster spots:
Pitchers:
Alex Burnett
Terry Doyle
Jeff Gray
Liam Hendriks
Matt Maloney
Jeff Manship
Kyle Waldrop
Jared Burton
Sam Deduno
Phil Dumatrait
Casey Fien
Brendan Wise
Bench Players:
Drew Butera
Danny Lehmann
Rene Rivera
J.R. Towles
Sean Burroughs
Ray Chang
Brian Dinkelman
Brian Dozier
Pedro Florimon
Mike Hollimon
Luke Hughes
Chris Parmelee
Joe Benson
Matt Carson
Rene Tosoni

The ones,to me, that are looking promising on this list are Hollimon, Parmelee, Rivera (ish), Maloney, Waldrop, Manship, Burton.
The next guys that should be cut in my mind should be: Burnett(send to AAA), Butera (send to AAA), & Chang (send to AA/AAA),

#7 JakeE141414

JakeE141414

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:55 AM

The Dozier vs. Hollimon decision will be interesting. It obviously doesn't make sense for Dozier to make the club if he won't be a starter, but Hollimon could easily fill in the utilitly infielder role. Also, one of the Twins' beat writers mentioned this morning that it is possible the Twins would go sign a backup middle infielder.

#8 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:20 AM

Why doesn't it make sense for Dozier to make the club as a backup? If he's better than Holliman, why not bring him up? Will you use the same logic next year, and waste two years of his prime in AAA? Because logically, that's what you are saying?
Lighten up Francis....

#9 J-Dog Dungan

J-Dog Dungan

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:23 AM

My bad, Tosoni was optioned out as well

#10 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 840 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:40 AM

I like the idea of letting Dozier start at shortstop and giving Carroll second base. Casilla could slide into a utility type role

#11 Jim H

Jim H

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:43 AM

I guess everyone was right about Nishioka. My question is will the Twins try to sell his contract to a Japanese team? If he isn't a utility man and Dozier is considered to be the medium term answer at short-what real value does Nishioka have to the Twins? I don't know if it is possible to sell his contract to a Japanese team, or what Nishioka's wishes might be. I can't see that playing at AAA will do him a lot of good, but I suppose I could be wrong.

#12 Dilligaf69

Dilligaf69

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:58 AM

I like the idea of letting Dozier start at shortstop and giving Carroll second base. Casilla could slide into a utility type role

I could live with this.. at least to start. They could always go back to their original plan. But as always you have to remember this is still ONLY spring. It's alot different when the real games start, we have seen plenty of good springs turn into not so good summers. I will say that I think Lexi plays better when he's playing everday although in theory he's perfectly suited for a backup utilty role because he can play 2B/SS and has ZERO power. All in all I think the Twins could roll the dice here and start Dozier at SS and Carroll at 2B which is probably a better spot for him anyway. Either way we should see Dozier barring "injury" come May/June.

#13 ltwedt

ltwedt

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:58 AM

Good to see that the Twins are making hard decisions - I also hope that they will look at escaping their obligations to Nishi any way they can - ie., selling his contract to a Japanese team, if that is a possibility. You can't teach "good hands", and isn't he a bit old to teach fundamental infield play and position responsibilities? Also like Dozier a lot! If Carroll is going to display Butera-like ability at the plate, give the SS job to him - like, NOW!

#14 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:06 AM

I gotta think the chances of Dozier making this team are close to nonexistant. There is no way, barring injury, they hand him a starting job based on a couple of extra hits in spring training - and they shouldn't. And I agree - you don't want Dozier on the bench in MLB - you want him playing in AAA, getting ready for a starting job in MLB. But I'll be honest, I have no idea who else they're going to take. I assume Plouffe (if he's healthy), Hughes (ditto) and 3rd catcher....Lord, I wonder if Hollimon really has a chance. I'm starting to think he does.

#15 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:30 AM

We'll see how Hollimon's playing time changes after this move. Thus far he's only gotten 15 AB all spring and I think he's only started once or twice -- that's just not the treatment you give to a guy you're taking a hard look at for a roster spot. I maintain that the Twins might not take a true "utility guy" north. They've got some guys who can back up SS in a pinch, and could call someone up quickly in the event of an injury.

#16 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,481 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:36 AM

There is no way, barring injury, they hand him a starting job based on a couple of extra hits in spring training - and they shouldn't.

They woudln't base it on a couple of hits... they would be basing it on things like his leadership qualities, his personality, his ability to handle it, his numbers in 2011 and the improvements shown. Many things but it won't be anything about 15-20 at bats. I just think that they brought in Carroll, and they're giong to give Casilla one more try, and hopefully Dozier tears it up in Rochester and takes one of their jobs in June. I think that'd be great.

However, the same qualities that veterans and coaches talked about with Mauer all those spring trainings ago are the same qualities that the coaches, front office and teammates are saying about Dozier now. Granted, Mauer was 20 and Dozier is 24, so they're not comparing them in terms of prospect status, but about their ability to help the team win.

#17 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,481 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:38 AM

We'll see how Hollimon's playing time changes after this move. Thus far he's only gotten 15 AB all spring and I think he's only started once or twice -- that's just not the treatment you give to a guy you're taking a hard look at for a roster spot.

Exactly. What he's done to this point is stay on the big league roster for another week. his 8-15 start keeps him getting looks. What he does from this point forward will determine whether he will be a serious contender. I think he's only made one start. He hasn't yet played SS, I don't think. Last year he played 3B, SS, 2B and LF. Didn't hit well, but did hit a lot of homers. He's already 28-29, so he can be a utility guy at this stage. He does have big league experience too, albeit limited, but that can't hurt. I'd still categorize it as a long shot.

#18 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

Burroughs
Chang
Dinkelman
Dozier
Florimon
Hollimon
Carson

for the 25th roster spot. Dozier won't make the team as a backup, and he shouldn't. Casilla's not losing his spot out of the gates, and Carroll is not going to be signed and then placed on the bench because of some bad spring training. I don't think Dinkelman is still around for any really reason besides it is nice to have super utility guys for games in spring. So Burroughs (L), Chang ®, Hollimon (S), and Florimon (S) in the IF (and Hollimon as third LF), and Carson ® in the OF are left for serious Twins 25th spot consideration. I still am intrigued most by Carson's power in this group, but Hollimon has to be right there at the top. I don't think it is a long shot anymore.

#19 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:57 AM

But yeah, cheers to the Twins making the right decision for Nishioka and themselves. My guess is that he and Dozier play the middle infield positions at Rochester with Florimon as the reserve. First injury to an infielder, and it is likely Nishioka's name that gets called.

#20 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,674 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:09 AM

I'm with John, I don't see Dozier making it this year baring injury. He needs to be playing every day, and he won't be doing that in Minnesota this season unless someone gets hurt. I'm confused though why everyone seems to think that we need another utiltiy infielder. I thought that is what Luke Hughes was going to be. He's also a decent bat. Plouffe can switch back to the middle if needed, and I wouldn't be surprised in the least if this allows them to either carry an extra pitcher or to make a spot for Parmalee... I really think this is what they are doing. Chris continues to hit. He could carry 1B/DH roles with Justin. Doumit moves into a C/1B/DH/RF role, and Revere spends more time on the bench/spot starting/pinch running/defensive sub.

#21 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:12 AM

The only cut that surprised me was Bates. Win Nishoka being where he needs to be, that opens 2 spots (I assume that Hughes and Plouffe are in) for the Bench. Given that Hughes can back up all infield positions other than SS, and Casilla can back up SS, it is not necessary that they get another middle infielder up North. I thought that Bates had a chance, but apparently the Twins feel like Morneau is fine.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#22 Teflon

Teflon

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:29 AM

Here's a novel idea - don't keep a third catcher. What's the worst thing that can happen? You have to sacrifice the DH spot for a couple of at-bats in a game if Mauer gets hurt and Doumit moves to catcher? (Gosh - you could even pinch hit in that situation for the pitcher, couldn't you?). Does this one possibility really justify carrying a stiff on the roster for 162 games?

#23 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,481 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:31 AM

I don't disagree, Teflon... could have a guy up from Rochester the next afternoon.

#24 Neinstein

Neinstein

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:45 AM

Here's a novel idea - don't keep a third catcher. What's the worst thing that can happen? You have to sacrifice the DH spot for a couple of at-bats in a game if Mauer gets hurt and Doumit moves to catcher? (Gosh - you could even pinch hit in that situation for the pitcher, couldn't you?). Does this one possibility really justify carrying a stiff on the roster for 162 games?

I actually thought that would be the plan after signing Doumit. The very idea of having a 3rd Catcher sitting around game after game. Save that seat for someone who can do some real damage to the ball.
I will be very annoyed if they keep on a 3rd Catcher.
"You teach me baseball and I'll teach you relativity. No, we must not. You will learn about relativity faster than I learn baseball." [SIZE=2]​Albert Einstein[/SIZE]

#25 Teflon

Teflon

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:54 AM

I don't disagree, Teflon... could have a guy up from Rochester the next afternoon.

Exactly. I think a bat like Parmelee's would be more valuable to the team than a third catcher. He can spell Morneau at 1B, DH, maybe even slip into RF for J-Willi from time to time.

#26 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

Another note for this point: Willingham entered the league as a catcher. They could move him behind the plate for a couple of innings if needed without losing the DH. If he starts putting the Catcher's gear on later in ST, that would be an indication that they will only have 2 catchers.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#27 roger

roger

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:49 PM

We'll see how Hollimon's playing time changes after this move. Thus far he's only gotten 15 AB all spring and I think he's only started once or twice -- that's just not the treatment you give to a guy you're taking a hard look at for a roster spot.

I maintain that the Twins might not take a true "utility guy" north. They've got some guys who can back up SS in a pinch, and could call someone up quickly in the event of an injury.

If they do bring a utility man north, there is some talk about Floriman getting into the mix for the utility spot. He has seen reasonable playing time of late.

Kudos to Mr. Ryan for making the right decision regarding Nishioka!

#28 Jim H

Jim H

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:50 PM

Ryan said on the radio today that Plouffe wasn't a candidate to be backup SS. He said Plouffe could back up at 1B. He also said Plouffe had to make the team. Gladden basically asked Ryan if thought Nishioka could learn how to play big league SS in AAA if he couldn't in 2 ST and a full big league season. Ryan said he didn't expect anything but was hopeful. No other questions were asked about the backup SS although Gladden said after Ryan left, that Ryan preferred Dozier to play everyday. Gladden speculated that Castilla could be the backup SS. Since Gladden said it, I would assume that won't happen but who knows.

#29 StormJH1

StormJH1

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:06 PM

Willingham - He has 15 MLB games as a catcher and none since 2006. I struggle to imagine the Twins asking the biggest free agent signing in their history and (by default) their most dangerous right handed bat to start catching games again at age 33, unless it's an absolute emergency (such as Doumit/Butera breaking his ankle and then Mauer getting Lyme Disease or something on the same night). Nishioka - Well, it had to be done, and I can't say I expected them to do it, but it basically frees up a roster spot that was just going to be a dead bench spot for weeks or months otherwise. Look, at the end of the day, there was a lot of reason to believe this guy could have worked out. People blast the Twins for screwing this up, but there's just no way of knowing if a guy is going to go "Irabu" or not. Heck, had Nishioka even been as serviceable as Kaz Matsui during his Mets years, he probably could've kept his starting job on this roster. (Matsui was actually pretty good for Colorado, later on, he was just ALWAYS injured). Other teams have tried and whiffed on international prospects, even the really good teams...it was just a much more pronounced failure for this organization b/c they don't usually even try things like this.

#30 StormJH1

StormJH1

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:08 PM

I agree, and so do most fans, but Gardy is terrified of that. And the irony of it is that the 3rd catcher would be someone like Butera and the Twins have probably had pitchers (Santana comes to mind) that were better hitters than Butera is!

It's an absurdly rare situation that isn't that big of a deal when it comes up, and the flip side of it is that there will be several times late in games this year when Gardy needs another pinch hitter, and instead of a Parmalee or Burroughs type guy, it will be Butera and they won't be able to use him.