Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Saunders

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#1 edavis0308

edavis0308

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

Mariners. One year deal. Mlbtr.

#2 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

Anything on the dollars? He must have determined that he had a better chance to build value next year with the Mariners. He sat on the Twins offer for a few weeks.

#3 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

Can't wait for the same old arguments to fly about how the Twins could of had__________________ for only ___ million. If he signs cheaply for Seattle I hope the Twins leak what their offer was. Perhaps they could do it through Thyrlos' source

#4 edavis0308

edavis0308

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

No dollar amount yet.

my guess is we never actually made a formal offer (ok not really)

#5 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

im guessing his 2 year 15 million dollar deal was a hoax ...

#6 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

It's all good. We're already set, with Correia, Pelfrey, and Co. We have it on good authority from Twins brain wizards so powerful that even their vaguest impressions and wildest guesses are more accurate than mountains of empirical evidence. The bald guy said that, so it must be true.

#7 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

Oh well, there's plenty of other mediocre lefties in the sea. (Well not really)

#8 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:42 PM

Mission accomplished! Three (new!?) pitchers and an $80MM budget to start the season.

#9 NoCryingInBaseball

NoCryingInBaseball

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:11 AM

Dang...I was hopeful that the Twins would go after Saunders for a chance to keep Correia out of the roster...

#10 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:23 AM

According to mlbtrrumors, "The short commitment will allow Saunders to build value at pitcher-friendly Safeco Field and look for a multiyear deal again next winter."

#11 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:26 AM

Yea, but they still have payroll flexibility....so that's still goodness.

#12 Gernzy

Gernzy

• Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:31 AM

We made Saunders a one year offer. This is another case of a pitcher just not wanting to come here.
I bent my wookie...

#13 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,951 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

Gernzy what was the $$ we offered?

dollars and years

there are two parts to that

#14 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,748 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:37 AM

It's just too damn cold.

#15 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 828 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

Probably wanted 2 years to come here. Also Seattle is looked at as being better than the Twins.

#16 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,951 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:53 AM

Also Seattle is looked at as being better than the Twins.

Justin Upton begs to differ

#17 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

Disappointing, but the Twins said all along that they just didn't feel he was interested in pitching for them. Maybe climate or chance to contend. Maybe wanted to pitch for a team that trains near his home in AZ. Who knows? All of that could certainly be overcome with an offer that blows all others away and the Twins obviously have the money to do that, but while I like Saunders more than most people around here, even I can't really argue convincingly that he's worth going overboard with an offer to get. Would have been nice to have another lefty in the rotation, though.
[COLOR=#0000cd]I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at[/COLOR][COLOR=#800000] Knuckleballsblog.com[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd] while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd][COLOR=#800000]MetroSportsReport.com[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd].[/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000cd]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#b22222]~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~[/COLOR]

#18 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

There's one source reporting the deal is a one year contract in the $5-7 million range, with an "option year", but no report of whose option or if there's a significant buyout if the team has the option.

At any rate, it's safe to assume that Seattle gave Saunders the impression they have money and aspirations, since they extended Felix for 5 years to the tune of $135 million within hours of signing JoeJoe.

#19 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

There's one source reporting the deal is a one year contract in the $5-7 million range, with an "option year", but no report of whose option or if there's a significant buyout if the team has the option.

At any rate, it's safe to assume that Seattle gave Saunders the impression they have money and aspirations, since they extended Felix for 5 years to the tune of $135 million within hours of signing JoeJoe.

Since everywhere else reports that Hernandez to a 175 million dollar contract I would really doubt your source, given your reporting of the Hernandez contract.

#20 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

Since everywhere else reports that Hernandez to a 175 million dollar contract I would really doubt your source, given your reporting of the Hernandez contract.

The reports is he's getting paid 20M the next two seasons...so add that to the 5 year extension, and it's 175M over 7 years...

''Bob Nightengale of USA Today reported that an anonymous source who was "familiar with the contract details" indicated a deal would be finalized before Spring Training that would make Hernandez the highest-paid pitcher in Major League history with an average annual contract value of $25 million.

Mariners pitchers and catchers are scheduled to report to camp Tuesday in Peoria, Ariz.

Hernandez is already scheduled to make $19.5 million this coming season and $20 million in 2014 in the final two years of a five-year, $78 million contract he signed in 2010.

Nightengale's report said the new deal would replace the final two years of that contract and extend for another five years.'

Edited by ThePuck, 08 February 2013 - 09:28 AM.

#21 LoganJones

LoganJones

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

Bummer, but not end of world situation. Time to look into trading for Capuano.

#22 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:34 AM

Sinker's story on this signing:

Reports: Lefty Saunders picks Mariners instead of Twins | StarTribune.com

#23 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

Several times in recent weeks, Twins officials have said that the roster as currently constructed, even with changes already made this winter, could change more before the start of the regular season. With Saunders no longer an option, we'll see what else the team will pursue -- or whether they will.

To me, this is the icing on the cake. And not a good cake. A crap cake. With putrid frosting.

#24 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,239 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

Nothing wrong the source, or his reporting of the contract, just your comprehension.

#25 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

Here is the source for the Felix deal:

Felix Hernandez, Seattle Mariners agree to $135.5 million contract extension, according to sources - ESPN

They're a going concern on the east coast, and while hardly infallible, they're right at least often enough to keep paying the ConEd bill.

Here's the link to the blogger in his footie pajamas you appear to imagine I'm citing regarding Saunders:

Lefty Joe Saunders to sign a one-year deal with Mariners USA Today.

It's obviously not completely solid without the story on the option, but it is a team source the reporter cites.

Posting this more for the other folks on the thread, since you seem generally undaunted by pieces that don't fit your puzzle.

Edited by LaBombo, 08 February 2013 - 11:09 AM.

#26 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

To me, this is the icing on the cake. And not a good cake. A crap cake. With putrid frosting.

Depending on how much you want Saunders next year, there's maybe a silver lining here for you if Saunders' (team) option year doesn't pan out:

"According to many reports, Saunders had been seeking a three-year deal, but pitching at Safeco may be the next best thing. The Baltimore Sun's Eduardo A. Encina wrote that pitching at Safeco "sets him up well for a good season before heading back into free agency."

If Saunders plans to go to a franchise next year that doesn't understand park effect, then I think the Twins stand an excellent chance to be near the top of a very short list.

#27 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

Why would they sign him next year, if they refused this year? Face it. They lied to us all when they said they would aggressively pursue pitching, or Ryan failed at his job. Either way, bad news.

#28 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,951 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

The other thing is, the Ms moved in their fences all around Safeco's left side, including a big slice of left center.

http://www.google.co...9QEwAQ&dur=1242

#29 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

Why would they sign him next year, if they refused this year? Face it. They lied to us all when they said they would aggressively pursue pitching, or Ryan failed at his job. Either way, bad news.

My point was that it's silly to say, as the Baltimore reporter did, that Saunders is going to pitch in what everyone knows to be an extreme pitchers' park, hope it boosts his numbers, and then get a nice contract because everyone suddenly forgot that Safeco is an extreme pitchers' park.

But if anyone could fall for it, I'd like the chances of a franchise that chose "makeup" over a decade of evidence of mediocrity in evaluating Correia, or one that employs a personnel guy who doesn't like Edwin Jackson now because of what he saw as a scout when Jackson was in high school 12 years ago.

I didn't want Saunders. I wanted a front office that would make offseason moves that, not for even a moment, would give cause for anyone to feel just the slightest disappointment that we didn't get Joe Saunders. And I haven't even hoped for the Twins to be 2013 contenders since before the 2012 season ended.

#30 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 922 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

They lied to you, mike. And tomorrow they're going to come over and kill your dog.