Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

King Felix

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 FrodaddyG

FrodaddyG

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

"Reports" saying he's getting 7 years/ $175M from the M's. Somehow, I really can't find a lot to complain about with the payday. He's one of the best pitchers in the game, a total workhorse who stays healthy, and ridiculously he won't turn 27 for a few more months, so really should just be entering his peak years. As someone whose "second" team is the Mariners due to family in the area and my own Seattle residence in the past, I'm happy for him and M's fans who get to see him stay in town for the long haul.

#2 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,290 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

Wow. That's a lot of years, even for a guy Felix's age. Lots of innings on that arm already (but as you said, he's been a real workhorse... He could be a rubber-armed guy like Sabathia and innings don't matter).

#3 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

I'm glad a team like the M's tied him up. I always thought I'd see him in pinstripes.

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

I'm glad a team like the M's tied him up. I always thought I'd see him in pinstripes.

Agreed, and I love it. That's what the Yankees have done the last 10-13 years. Sign the big dollar, big name free agents. Then they're good for a couple of years, and then they all get old and the yankees are terrible for awhile.

#5 luke829

luke829

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

I can't wait till this headline hits the NY papers, man what an uproar there will be. And then of course you'll have your have the pro-Yankee pundits on ESPN putting their spin on the matter.
Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

#6 FrodaddyG

FrodaddyG

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

Wow. That's a lot of years, even for a guy Felix's age. Lots of innings on that arm already (but as you said, he's been a real workhorse... He could be a rubber-armed guy like Sabathia and innings don't matter).

That's what he's always seemed like to me. He's got a big, strong frame and rather effortless delivery. Obviously any pitcher is one pitch away from a UCL deciding it doesn't want to cooperate, but Felix seems about as durable as they come. Still can't believe he's still 26. He's been around FOREVER already.

Same here. I may have a bigger grin on my face for this contract than the Mauer one, just because my gut tells me there's slightly less of a chance of it being a total albatross by the end of it. Both made me very excited to see mid-market teams lock up a face-of-the-franchise superstar through their prime, though.

#7 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,836 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

and then they all get old and the yankees are terrible for awhile.

Irony isn't your usual stock in trade here. Unless I missed a year while spot-checking, the most terrible the Yanks have been since 1992 is .540 winning percentage.

#8 FrodaddyG

FrodaddyG

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

Irony isn't your usual stock in trade here. Unless I missed a year while spot-checking, the most terrible the Yanks have been since 1992 is .540 winning percentage.

I yearn for the Twins to get back to that kind of terrible.

#9 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

Terrible in the eyes of their fans and that NY media!

#10 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

He is one of the best young pitchers in baseball but a contract like that is always a substantial risk.

Twins fans complain about the return on the Santana trade (for good reason) but the fact of the matter is, the Twins have been much better off not having Santana rather than signing him to the deal he got from the Mets. Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't do....

#11 FrodaddyG

FrodaddyG

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:45 PM

Terrible in the eyes of their fans and that NY media!

If only they could lower their standards to those of Twins fans! Damn their consistent winning and resulting high expectations!

#12 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:11 AM

If you want a ace you got to pay like a ace. There is risk with young pitcher too, Pineda and he is no ace and probably never will be.

#13 FrodaddyG

FrodaddyG

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:44 AM

If you want a ace you got to pay like a ace. There is risk with young pitcher too, Pineda and he is no ace and probably never will be.

I fully expected a link to a Ft. Myers newspaper article about the change of brand in urinal cakes at the Twins' facilities.

#14 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,339 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:47 AM

I yearn for the Twins to get back to that kind of terrible.

I yearn for the return of quality word filters.

#15 FrodaddyG

FrodaddyG

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:16 AM

I yearn for the return of quality word filters.

Book that.

#16 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:09 AM

I fully expected a link to a Ft. Myers newspaper article about the change of brand in urinal cakes at the Twins' facilities.

Written by Bill Smith?

#17 FrodaddyG

FrodaddyG

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:14 AM

Written by Bill Smith?

I think Smith would be more concerned with actual cakes.

#18 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:50 AM

U can't have your cake and eat it too. No risk no gain. 3 years ago the Twins were ranked higher than the Yanks.

#19 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 3,323 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

I like it. Good for Ms fans.

#20 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

The M's really have had a nice offseason. They brought in some needed bats and were able to lock up their ace for 7 more years. Maybe our front office should take notes.

#21 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 3,323 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

Well, we're all jumping the gun.

M's saying no agreement was reached.

#22 FrodaddyG

FrodaddyG

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

Well, we're all jumping the gun.

M's saying no agreement was reached.

Sounds like it's probably just details being hammered out. Maybe the money changes slightly, but I'm guessing it ends up within $5M of the announced extension value. (Still not bad money if you can get it.)

#23 Kobs

Kobs

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

Twins fans complain about the return on the Santana trade (for good reason) but the fact of the matter is, the Twins have been much better off not having Santana rather than signing him to the deal he got from the Mets. Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't do....

You're basing that on what, exactly?

#24 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

You're basing that on what, exactly?

Santana got injured I'm guessing. The best move the Twins could have done is not trade him and let him walk for picks. They did a terrible job scouting those prospects. Anyone with a brain would have seen how horrendous Gomez's flaws were and the no-upside of the pitchers involved in the deal. There is a reason everyone on the board was screaming, even worse when we actually go to watch those guys.
Do or do not. There is no try.