Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Reusse: Hudson Boyd In Better Shape

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,923 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:17 PM

There is lots of talk about Hudson Boyd's weight, but the might be watching a different number even more closely....

He was clocked consistently from 91 to 94 miles per hour with his fastball in high school. "I topped out at 97 a few times," he said.

The fastball was 91 to 93 last summer at Elizabethton and his strikeouts were low -- 36 in 58 innings.

"I'd like to get a little more velo [velocity] this spring," he said. "I have to work on my changeup, too. Ras showed me a few ways to throw one in instructional league this fall, and I got one that might work."

Reusse: Twins invest in Fort Myers | StarTribune.com

#2 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,102 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:44 AM

This is an interesting article. If Boyd can keep in shape, it sounds like he may have a high upside.

#3 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Queen.

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,234 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

I had to laugh that his motivation to get healthy was his upcoming 21st birthday ... the last big one to celebrate? Yeah, ok.

#4 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

It was good to see this article saying Boyd dropped some weight. I know he was already a big dude when drafted, but even at Spring Training last year you could tell he was carrying something extra.

Watched him pitch a few times there, and happened to be standing near the coaches to hear their thoughts at one point. They were not happy with him at all, visibly and audibly expressing such. Hopefully dropping some pounds will bring back some fastball life and also helps elsewhere.
Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
Spring Training Regular since 2011.

#5 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

Attached File  Boyd.jpg   13.61KB   20 downloads
Here's a photo Reusse took of him on his Twitter feed, saying he was down 30 pounds from last year.