Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Opening Day lineup?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

I haven't been around in awhile, so I apologize if I'm duplicating a recent thread, but with ST close, I wanna start talking opening day.

In the hopes that the Twins give Podsednik a small deal to keep the OF from becoming too bad, here's my ideal lineup:

1: Podsednik - CF
2: Mauer - C
3: Willingham - LF
4: Mourneau - 1B
5: Doumit - DH
6: Plouffe - 3B
7: Parmelee - RF
8: Dozier - 2B
9: Escobar - SS

Bench - Mastroianni, Carroll, Butera, and whoever actually hits decent in ST.

Send Florimon to Rochester, but tell him to keep his bags packed.

Not going to go into pitching, because I can barely keep straight who all these guys are with minor league deals/ST invites.

If they stay don't sign Podsednik, at least for opening day I'd put Mastroianni in the leadoff spot and starting CF, and give backup OF to whomever plays better between Hicks and Benson

#2 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

1. Hicks CF
2. Mauer C
3. Willingham LF
4. Morneau 1B
5. Doumit DH
6. Plouffe 3B
7. Parmelee RF
8. Dozier 2B
9. Florimon SS

SP: Diamond

#3 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

I agree with Nick's but I think we'll see either Mastroianni or Benson in CF to open the season.

#4 ppearson50

ppearson50

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

1. Bourn CF
2. Mauer C
3. Willingham LF
4. Morneau 1B
5. Doumit DH
6. Plouffe 3B
7. Parmelee RF
8. Dozier 2B
9. Florimon SS

SP: Lohse

#5 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

So what's the argument for Florimon over Escobar?

Escobar has actually played more games in the majors, and spent a full season in AAA (which Florimon has not done), so I'd think he's a little more mentally prepared to play a full season in the bigs. Had he not been traded, he probably would have spent the entire year on the 25 man roster for the Sox. Florimon may have not even made it to the bigs if any one of Valencia/Burroughs/Hughes/Dozier had stayed healthy and played like a starter all year.

Neither guy is a candidate to be an offensive force, but Escobar seems to have a significantly lower strikeout rate (at the expense of power). In terms of offense, I'd rather have a guy in the 9 hole that gets a lot of singles than a guy who gets the occasional extra base hit but strikes out a ton. Defensively, I haven't seen either play enough to really tell if there is much difference.

#6 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,239 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

The same as the argument for Keystone Light over Busch Light.

#7 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,215 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

1. Bourn CF
2. Mauer C
3. Willingham LF
4. Morneau 1B
5. Doumit DH
6. Plouffe 3B
7. Parmelee RF
8. Dozier 2B
9. Florimon SS

SP: Lohse

I like the idea of Bourn, but only if the price is right and the plan is to trade him around midseason for prospects. I would hate to see him block Hicks and Benson for the entire season.

#8 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,239 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

I like the idea of Bourn, but only if the price is right and the plan is to trade him around midseason for prospects. I would hate to see him block Hicks and Benson for the entire season.

He would also require compensation to sign.

#9 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,029 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

He would also require compensation to sign.

But only a loss of a 2nd rounder? And an opportunity to regain the lost pick with a qualifying offer the year after, right?

#10 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,239 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

But only a loss of a 2nd rounder? And an opportunity to regain the lost pick with a qualifying offer the year after, right?

True, if you keep him the entire year.

Or maybe someone gets desperate at the deadline and you trade him for better value than the pick lost (the front office doesn't exactly have a great track record of deadline deals though).

#11 edavis0308

edavis0308

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

The same as the argument for Keystone Light over Busch Light.

Packs very little punch and is very underwhelming when compared to better alternatives if only you shelled out a couple extra bucks???

#12 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

This thread smacks of Deux es Machina. You include players who aren't even on the team and inset him as the regular CF! Your logic of using this "cheap, place-holder type" CF as a regular, but ignore the already on-hand Carroll in favor of the "failed-once" Dozier is mystifying. There is no evidence provided to support a preference of Podsednik over any of the three CF candidates on hand.

#13 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,239 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

Packs very little punch and is very underwhelming when compared to better alternatives if only you shelled out a couple extra bucks???

I was going to say, "they both suck," but your way works too.

#14 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

True, if you keep him the entire year.

Or maybe someone gets desperate at the deadline and you trade him for better value than the pick lost (the front office doesn't exactly have a great track record of deadline deals though).

That would require thinking out of the box , which the current front office is unable to do

#15 raindog

raindog

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

1. Mastroianni CF
2. Carroll 2B
3. Mauer C
4. Willingham LF
5. Morneau 1B
6. Doumit DH
7. Plouffe 3B
8. Parmelee RF
9. Florimon SS

This is what I expect it to be. I'd bat Mauer 2nd, but I don't expect Gardy to do that.

#16 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

Only if you keep him all year. That's why I'd be more in favor of Posednik, he'd be more willing to sign on to be a "placeholder". Bourn isn't going to want to do that

#17 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,388 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

I really don't know... I can only guess... Florimon has been thought of as the opening day starter from what I've been reading. He has never been a hitter... That tells me that the Twins think that Florimon is a defensive wizard because they would go with a better hitter.

#18 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

This thread smacks of Deux es Machina. You include players who aren't even on the team and inset him as the regular CF! Your logic of using this "cheap, place-holder type" CF as a regular, but ignore the already on-hand Carroll in favor of the "failed-once" Dozier is mystifying. There is no evidence provided to support a preference of Podsednik over any of the three CF candidates on hand.

This is an opening day lineup only. I did say if they don't sign Posednik (who is on the market, and the twins have expressed interest in), that I'd put Mastroianni in his spot at #1. Mastroianni is the only CF option right now that has seen any big league action, and I'd rather him be a 4th OF that can come in and pinch run in late innings.

I think Dozier is worth a look at 2B, but with a very short leash. Carroll would be the obvious second in line there, but he's going to be 39 at the start of the season, and I'd rather not have to rely on him every day. He's also most valuable to us because he can backup 2b, 3b and SS reliably, if one of the kids is having a bad day.

#19 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

1. Mastroianni CF
2. Carroll 2B
3. Mauer C
4. Willingham LF
5. Morneau 1B
6. Doumit DH
7. Plouffe 3B
8. Parmelee RF
9. Florimon SS

This is what I expect it to be. I'd bat Mauer 2nd, but I don't expect Gardy to do that.

That seems just about right for Gardy and with Diamond pitching if healthy.

Ideal for me :

1. Hicks CF
2. Benson LF
3. Mauer C
4. Plouffe 3B
5. Parmelee 1B
6. Doumit DH
7. Arcia RF
8. Dozier 2B
9. Florimon SS

Harden SP.

This assumes Morneau and Willingham are traded for prospects. Hopefully one of them is a middle infielder who would start in place of either Florimon or Dozier.

But it will happen when pigs fly.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#20 Haddyz

Haddyz

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

You include players who aren't even on the team and inset him as the regular CF! Your logic of using this "cheap, place-holder type" CF as a regular, but ignore the already on-hand Carroll in favor of the "failed-once" Dozier is mystifying. There is no evidence provided to support a preference of Podsednik over any of the three CF candidates on hand.

Cracks me up Kwak, I was thinking the same thing when I read this post earlier today. How can you assert that. Twins wouldn't bring anyone in to play CF until last week or two of Spring Training, seeing as the other options would all have to look overmatched and overwhelmed. Mastroianni hasn't shown that in his body of work yet. Benson has. Hicks, we're sure to find out.

Florimon isn't going anywhere unless someone else is brought in a la Diaz. Dozier, I guess, could be magically better, since he claims to have figured his stuff out, but I see him as making the club as a 2B. I see Carroll supplanting all three of them, much like Punto did back in the day. Escobar only makes the club if the Twins Dozier bombs in spring training.

I don't think Butera makes the big club even with the arbitration earning of 750k. At the outset of the season, there should be two catchers... Mr. 120 games this season and Doughboy. But what am I saying, who else are they going to have to weigh the bench down?

4th OF - Mastroianni (Hicks should earn the spot).
Backup INF - Carroll (Situational as Plouffe, Florimon and Dozier will be on rotation)
3rd guy?! - Maybe it is between Butera and Escobar. This should be a basher, masher, crasher type. Don't think that'll happen either.

The Twins keep 12 pitchers for sure, but this year, with Pressley and Harden, along with a few others... I actually think it will be 13. Especially given the Twins don't want to start out 5 or more games behind in the first few weeks.

#21 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

Podsednik?

I watched him play about 15 times last 2 seasons (once in ST 2012 against the Twins) when he was with the IronPigs. His fielding skills are still decent but not as good as Mastroianni's at this point and his hitting is Buterrible.

I'd pass
-----

#22 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,388 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

Instead of Scotty Pods... And I've always been a fan of his when he wasn't with the White Sox... Instead of Pods... I'd rather the Twins picked up someone who can jack one.

If Florimon is gonna start and it looks like he is. Someone has to be available on the bench to hit for him when we are down in the ninth. I don't see that guy right now... Mastro... Ain't it... Carroll ain't it... I like Mastro and Carroll but they are not a late inning type.

Is this how someone like Clement gets in the door? Carlos Lee would be a consideration if he came cheap.

If Clement comes in for this role... He would take Butera's spot most likely.

#23 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

If Clement comes in for this role... He would take Butera's spot most likely.

Butera's scholarship got renewed for 2013 when the Twins decided to offer him arbitration and pay him $700K instead of refusing and signing him to a MiLB contract with a ST invite (which would have been the thing to do.) He is not going anywhere, unless Gardy goes.
-----

#24 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

This team isn't going to go out and add anyone for CF unless there is an injury. This is what I hope the lineup is and I think it has a good chance:

CF Mastroanni
2B Carroll
C Mauer
1B Morneau
LF Willingham
DH Parmalee
3B Plouffe
RF Benson
SS Florimon

#25 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

I see zero need to acquire an outfielder from outside the organization, especially with all the talent coming up in the next few years.

The battle for SS seems essentially a wash - Escobar has a more versatile glove, while Florimon has a stronger arm and more pop in the bat. Sadly, both have sub - .240 averages.

I could see the Twins jumping Joe Benson over Aaron Hicks purely for contract reasons. Benson's a little more experienced, and he may have a little more power right now. That's one of the best competitions to follow this spring. If Hicks bangs a couple homers, then all bets are off.

Pitching... Diamond and Worley will be good, and then we start rolling the dice. At least eleven men are going to vie for the last three starting slots in the rotation, and that's not counting the spring cattle call and Sam Deduno, who isn't listed on the roster but has pitched well in the winter leagues. Will one or two of these many candidates show solid stuff this spring? Probably. Will it last? Probably not. I expect a lot of movement in the 3, 4, and 5 slots this year. Situations like that usually don't turn out very well.

Edited by jimbo92107, 02 February 2013 - 06:45 PM.

#26 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

Butera's scholarship got renewed for 2013 when the Twins decided to offer him arbitration and pay him $700K instead of refusing and signing him to a MiLB contract with a ST invite (which would have been the thing to do.) He is not going anywhere, unless Gardy goes.

Not that they should have done that, but in the scheme of things, $700k is nothing to a major league team. If they have to cut him to make room for another player, they'll do it and their budget won't exactly be broken.

I'd love to see Clement have some real success. He's got the talent, and although time is not on his side, if he puts it together, he could really hit.

#27 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,951 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

I think Dozier earns himself the SS job in ST.

1. Mastro CF
2. Carroll 2B
3. Mauer C
4. Willingham LF
5. Morneau 1B
6. Doumit DH
7. Plouffe 3B
8. Parmelee RF
9. Dozier SS

#28 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

Don't you think we should have spring training first?

#29 FrodaddyG

FrodaddyG

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

Don't you think we should have spring training first?

Yes. Speculation is pointless. The forum will be closed until opening day.

#30 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

I'd love to see Clement have some real success. He's got the talent, and although time is not on his side, if he puts it together, he could really hit.

Call me a cynic, but Clement reminds me a lot of Sean Burroughs (minus the eating from garbage cans before detoxing drama)
-----