Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Terry Ryan said this ballpark [Target Field] has not settled in...

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 BrentMpls

BrentMpls

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

Saying, but not saying, that concrete settling may be a reason left field is tougher to hit out of.

Also said they are still evaluating moving in the fences.

1500 1/30 with Judd.

Concrete settling is some of the craziest excuse for poor hitting out there. Can't believe he just implied it, still, here in 2013. :th_alc:

#2 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

Left field? Seems odd.

#3 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

Saying, but not saying, that concrete settling may be a reason left field is tougher to hit out of.

1500 1/30 with Judd.

Concrete settling is some of the craziest excuse for poor hitting out there. Can't believe he just implied it, still, here in 2013. :th_alc:

Jason Giambi once said the same thing.

#4 LoganJones

LoganJones

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

Did he actually say settled in in reference to the physical space? Or was he saying the park factors haven't really settled in, to give them a good idea what kind of ballpark it really is?

#5 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

Man, the Twins built a tough ballpark. Between the trees out in CF, the concrete settling and the no-man's land to the gaps... they have built a modern day labyrinth.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#6 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

Man, the Twins built a tough ballpark. Between the trees out in CF, the concrete settling and the no-man's land to the gaps... they have built a modern day labyrinth.

If we could only find Jennifer Connolly in it ....

#7 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

1500 1/30 with Judd.

Can someone explain what effect this would have or why there's even a theory that it would? I'm being serious here.

Also, does it somehow negatively affect our pitching as well and what is Josh Willingham's super power to negate the effect?

#8 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,660 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

What's wrong with left field? One of you is seriously confusing left field with right field.

#9 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

Concrete settling??? That seems crazy.

#10 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,920 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

Did the Twins spend the rest of their available budget on an excuse-making machine? It seems in full gear these days....

#11 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

They have to explain why the Twins are generally near the bottom of team HRs heat year-after-year--especially when the top HR hitter is a guy who came from a different team (Thome/Willingham).

I always chuckle when the Twins describe a young guy (draftee/minor leaguer) as a 5-tool player yet his HR total speaks so softly.

#12 S.

S.

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

The details are a bit hazy from all the mind numbing chemicals it required to watch Twins games in 2012, but I recall other teams' hitters doing just dandy with that settling concrete in Target Field,

#13 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

The details are a bit hazy from all the mind numbing chemicals it required to watch Twins games in 2012, but I recall other teams' hitters doing just dandy with that settling concrete in Target Field,

maybe if our hitters got to face our pitchers, we'd have no issues ourselves? :-)

#14 FrodaddyG

FrodaddyG

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

If we could only find Jennifer Connolly in it ....

Although I think they have their Hoggle:
Attached File  Jamey+Carroll+Minnesota+Twins+Photo+Day+T9I_bR9PRPZl.jpg   60.66KB   5 downloads

#15 S.

S.

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

maybe if our hitters got to face our pitchers, we'd have no issues ourselves? :-)

Now if we can just convince the rest of the league that the Nick Blackburns of the world are the guys you want for all 5 of your starting pitchers...

#16 FrodaddyG

FrodaddyG

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

Also, just because:
Attached File  david-bowie-138.jpg   30.94KB   69 downloads
I still think that they had a significant costume budget on that movie, yet every morning when Bowie walked in, they just threw their arms up and said "Screw it, go with what you've got on, Dave". (I may have enjoyed that movie a little too much since my childhood.)

#17 luke829

luke829

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

Concrete isn't the problem, I blame it on the torrid of insults being hurled by disatissfied fans in the stands.
Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

#18 LoganJones

LoganJones

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

Concrete isn't the problem, I blame it on the torrid of insults being hurled by disatissfied fans in the stands.

Move those fans to foul territory!

#19 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

Did he actually say settled in in reference to the physical space? Or was he saying the park factors haven't really settled in, to give them a good idea what kind of ballpark it really is?

Could somebody who actually witnessed this please answer this question? Otherwise, this will just devolve into a Terry Ryan-bashing thread.

#20 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

Could somebody who actually witnessed this please answer this question? Otherwise, this will just devolve into a Terry Ryan-bashing thread.

We have to give Kevin Correria a rest for awhile.

#21 BrentMpls

BrentMpls

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

For those interested here is the link:
Judd & Dubay | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers)

Hour 2 from 1/30

When asked if you guys knew if the ballpark was be tough for lefties to hit out of the park (TR wasn't involved in that was he?... anyway) TR says:

"Well this ballpark hasn't settled in I don't think ... I don't know about concrete settling in .. I wasn't a part of this thing all that much but we set out to make it fair..."

I just couldn't believe that I actually heard the stadium settling/concete being used as a possible excuse for poor performance, and by Terry Ryan of all people.

Too true

#22 FrodaddyG

FrodaddyG

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

Well, we can hold out hope that the RF fence settles down another 12 or so feet, rendering that high wall less of an obstacle to our otherwise fearsome Murderers' Row of lefty mashers.

#23 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 1,941 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

The latter.
Papers...business papers.

#24 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,920 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

Well, it certainly could be misinterpreted....but what other reason is Terry Ryan talking about concrete? Just a few years ago Thome had "heard about" this same issue. Seems like an organizational selling point Ryan is just now voicing directly to me.

#25 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

For those interested here is the link:
Judd & Dubay | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers)

Hour 2 from 1/30

When asked if you guys knew if the ballpark was be tough for lefties to hit out of the park (TR wasn't involved in that was he?... anyway) TR says:

"Well this ballpark hasn't settled in I don't think ... I don't know about concrete settling in .. I wasn't a part of this thing all that much but we set out to make it fair..."

I just couldn't believe that I actually heard the stadium settling/concete being used as a possible excuse for poor performance, and by Terry Ryan of all people.

Too true

So that would be to RF, not LF... :-)

#26 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 1,941 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

Well, it certainly could be misinterpreted....but what other reason is Terry Ryan talking about concrete? Just a few years ago Thome had "heard about" this same issue. Seems like an organizational selling point Ryan is just now voicing directly to me.

He's talking about how the park is settling into more of a pitchers or hitters ballpark and whether it is "fair". He answered in the context of the RF fence being too far and if it would make sense to move in fences.

What he did not do was suggest concrete had any negative impact on the team compared to the opposition. That would be a problem.
Papers...business papers.

#27 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,920 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

He's talking about how the park is settling into more of a pitchers or hitters ballpark and whether it is "fair". He answered in the context of the RF fence being too far and if it would make sense to move in fences.

What he did not do was suggest concrete had any negative impact on the team compared to the opposition. That would be a problem.

No but he's suggesting the concrete settling is part of how the field is playing. Which is something Thome regurgitated a few years back about why it's hard to hit home runs. Essentially, Ryan is verifying this weird notion that part of why lefties don't hit homeruns is because of how the concrete is or is not settling.

#28 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,507 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

Ryan is verifying this weird notion that part of why lefties don't hit homeruns is because of how the concrete is or is not settling.

And witches.

#29 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

Can someone explain what effect this would have or why there's even a theory that it would? I'm being serious here.

Also, does it somehow negatively affect our pitching as well and what is Josh Willingham's super power to negate the effect?

still wet concrete doesnt relect the heat ,dried concrete causing riasing heat to help carry the ball?

#30 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

And witches.

and days that end in 'y', but only for his lefties... :-)