Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Mason: Correia expects to eat up innings for the Twins

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

Correia expects to eat up innings for Twins

Now that he's putting the National League behind him, Correia believes the switch to the AL should pay dividends for his production on the mound.

"I think in the National League your innings get cut short because you get pinch-hit for in certain situations," said Correia, whose career-high innings total was 198 back in 2009. "So I'm looking forward to seeing how many innings I can put up in the American League for the first time in my career."

#2 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,821 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

IP/GS for all qualified starters since 2010 in AL: 6.25
IP/GS for all qualified starters since 2010 in NL: 6.15
[TABLE="width: 64"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 64, align: right"][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

edit: BTW that is a tenth of an inning, not a full out

Edited by Willihammer, 29 January 2013 - 05:28 PM.

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,290 posts

Correia was pretty impressive in the interview. The line that John quoted above, when Correia said it, myself and the other writers there all kind of nodded. It's not something that we typically think about.

#4 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

It's a good thing I read that on an empty stomach :-)

#5 FrodaddyG

FrodaddyG

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

Correia was pretty impressive in the interview. The line that John quoted above, when Correia said it, myself and the other writers there all kind of nodded. It's not something that we typically think about.

Conveniently, he forgot that he also won't be handed a free out in 1/9 of the opposing ABs in the AL. (Particularly since Butera is on his own team.)

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,290 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

I'm in agreement with the Twins Geek... the Correia bashing should stop now. We all know we don't like the signing, particularly the second year, but he is signed, so move on. Let's hope that he can find a way to eat 180 or so innings and have an ERA of 4.50 or so. It is possible. Other low-K guys have managed to have good seasons, so why not hope for that rather than continuing to bash the same deal. I mean, it's been over a month now.

#7 FrodaddyG

FrodaddyG

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

I'm in agreement with the Twins Geek... the Correia bashing should stop now. We all know we don't like the signing, particularly the second year, but he is signed, so move on. Let's hope that he can find a way to eat 180 or so innings and have an ERA of 4.50 or so. It is possible. Other low-K guys have managed to have good seasons, so why not hope for that rather than continuing to bash the same deal. I mean, it's been over a month now.

So because it was an "interesting take" we should gloss over the fact that according to the stats that Willihammer threw out there, it basically means nothing more than roughly 3 IP over 30 starts? (And if that's an average, that means good pitchers would be higher and bad pitchers would be lower, and guess which end of the spectrum Correia falls on?)

Like it or not, Correia is the "marquee" (and basically, Marquis) free agent signing of Ryan's offseason, and a symbol of what most would consider a problematic showing in that department. It's going to come up a lot when your GM's "plan" involves giving multiple years to a poor pitcher early in the free agency period, when similar or quite likely better players get cheaper and shorter deals afterwards. I can cross my fingers and hope REALLY hard Drew Butera learned to keep his eyes open when the ball is on its way toward the plate this year, but it probably isn't going to do me or the Twins a whole lot of good when he's in the batter's box.

#8 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

So we get the pirates 6th starter and they upgrade by signing kyle waldrop?

#9 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

So because it was an "interesting take" we should gloss over the fact that according to the stats that Willihammer threw out there, it basically means nothing more than roughly 3 IP over 30 starts? (And if that's an average, that means good pitchers would be higher and bad pitchers would be lower, and guess which end of the spectrum Correia falls on?)

Like it or not, Correia is the "marquee" (and basically, Marquis) free agent signing of Ryan's offseason, and a symbol of what most would consider a problematic showing in that department. It's going to come up a lot when your GM's "plan" involves giving multiple years to a poor pitcher early in the free agency period, when similar or quite likely better players get cheaper and shorter deals afterwards. I can cross my fingers and hope REALLY hard Drew Butera learned to keep his eyes open when the ball is on its way toward the plate this year, but it probably isn't going to do me or the Twins a whole lot of good when he's in the batter's box.

"Correia is the Marquis Free Agent signing of the offseason" (Well played, Sir!)

I sense a quirky commercial in the works by that clever, "play on words" Ad Agency that the Twins use for their marketing....

Edited by jokin, 29 January 2013 - 06:39 PM.

#10 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

Im afriad it will take Kevin himself to prove it to the fans before ,most back down on there opinions ....

#11 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

I can cross my fingers and hope REALLY hard Drew Butera learned to keep his eyes open when the ball is on its way toward the plate this year, but it probably isn't going to do me or the Twins a whole lot of good when he's in the batter's box.

Actually you should close your eyes, too- "Be like Drew!"- like all the others in the Twins apologists Make A Wish Foundation

#12 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 878 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

Drew Butera? You have a problem with Drew Butera? Correia I get, but suddenly we're bashing Drew Butera?

#13 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

Im afriad it will take Kevin himself to prove it to the fans before ,most back down on there opinions ....

Unlike others, I was an early (albeit slightly sarcastic) optimist, that TR outthought the other 29 GMs, sensing that KC can fool 'em for half a season and become a flippable asset in July.

I'd love to come down off of Sarcasm Hill and admit I was wrong about Correia, but to bury heads in the sand and pretend that this wasn't a spectacularly bad deal on paper- and not just doubling down, but tripling down on the Marquis Blunder of 2012, is just silly.

#14 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

"I think in the National League your innings get cut short because you get pinch-hit for in certain situations," said Correia.

Certain situations such as being behind when the fifth inning rolls around, sir?

Oops, we're supposed to stop with the snark. Sorry.

#15 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

I'm in agreement with the Twins Geek... the Correia bashing should stop now. We all know we don't like the signing, particularly the second year, but he is signed, so move on.

So when someone starts a thread about Correia, people are allowed to say only positive things? Even when his explanation for previous struggles isn't really backed up as a general rule by evidence? In addition to Willihammer's stat above, last year AL & NL starters averaged an identical 5.9 IP/GS. It's not like people are randomly bringing him up to bash him.

To be fair, when you look through Correia's game log, you can see that there were several games where he was pulled while pitching fairly well with his pitch count still around 80-90. But the fact that the Pirates were so apt to remove him in these situations says something about their level of faith in him, not to mention the status of the games (teams usually pinch-hit when they're losing).

It's a two-sided coin in the same way as Terry Ryan's remark about Correia's innings being low because he was removed from the rotation.

#16 FrodaddyG

FrodaddyG

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

Drew Butera? You have a problem with Drew Butera? Correia I get, but suddenly we're bashing Drew Butera?

In the down times, even the golden goose can lose a little luster.

#17 IronMike

IronMike

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

I really don't think this signing is as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Twins need quality starts. Kevin did that in 57% of his starts. That was above average and only slightly below Diamond who led Twins.

#18 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

When did we stop?

#19 edavis0308

edavis0308

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

Certain situations such as being behind when the fifth inning rolls around, sir?

Oops, we're supposed to stop with the snark. Sorry.

(Chanting) one of us. One of us.

#20 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,816 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

It would be awesome if he was good this year. Hope can be a wonderful thing.

#21 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,290 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

I understand that, but it has been over a month of straight bashing Correia. How about now accepting that he is signed and hope for the best. At least until the reality sets in in the regular season.

#22 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

I understand that, but it has been over a month of straight bashing Correia. How about now accepting that he is signed and hope for the best. At least until the reality sets in in the regular season.

Reality set in when we signed him, that's the biggest problem. I accept it but I don't like it.

#23 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

Suddenly? Where have you been?

#24 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

Rumor has it Matt Capps is also willing to eat for the Twins in 2013.

#25 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,863 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

I've been reading Seth's stuff for awhile. I probably read one of his first blogs... its been that long...

I think the reason I spent as much time reading his blogs was his sense of the ballplayer and I think I watch baseball the same way that he writes. I don't know but I always felt kinda connected in that way. I've never been to a minor league game but I've learned to rely and trust what Seth writes about them. His passion for the players is second to none.

The main reason I trust Seth is this: I know that Seth isn't going to throw a player away to make a point.

I believe that Seth doesn't see the numbers produced by players as much as he see the player themselves and I respect that and feel the same. These individual stories and the struggle to make or stay with the big club is reality TV at its finest.

Each player... an individual fighting for a career... I really have hard time being hard on a player because of that. I understand the reason for the comments and its ok but I will always side with Seth on issues like this.

#26 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

Pitchforks and torches on a message board are a perfectly fine way to vent about a bad baseball player. There would be nothing to vent about if 10M wasn't wasted on his roster spot.

#27 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

Aren't most people actually slamming Ryan for being stupid enough to sign him in the first place, as opposed to Correia himself? It's kind of like most people not slamming Punto so much as slamming Gardy's irrational need to play him WAY more than he ever should have? :-)

#28 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

Also, I think the Correia fury would probably die down if we didn't have a weekly spin job by the organization trying to sell the fanbase on their offseason crown jewel.

#29 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

I think last month i posted (and believe any and all twins fans hope the same) that ,now Correia is a twin i hope he is the next R.A.Dicky,
i dont believe he will be but i can hope..sorry seth best i can come up with as far as hope and praise

#30 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

Aren't most people actually slamming Ryan for being stupid enough to sign him in the first place, as opposed to Correia himself? It's kind of like most people not slamming Punto so much as slamming Gardy's irrational need to play him WAY more than he ever should have? :-)

Or maybe slamming Ryan (and the Twins) for pursuing a policy of salary reduction at the expense of quality entertainment for the fans?

You are correct than Correria should not be blamed--he did not wrong the Twins in any way--and Correria should not be flamed because he doesn't measure-up to the fan's expectations. Any "Correria bashing" should not take place until: the season has started and Correria has had an adequate number of games to assess his performance and his performance has been well below the level that he has previously performed. Ergo, Correria must be worse than his previous body of work. If Correria merely equals his previous level we may bash Ryan for signing him, but not Corriera because Ryan should have known what he was "buying from the used car lot."