Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Sickels ranks Twins system #7

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

Up from 17 last year.
2013 Baseball Farm System Rankings - Minor League Ball
"Strengths: hitting. Oswaldo Arcia and Aaron Hicks will be ready to help the outfield sometime in 2013. Enormous upside in players like Miguel Sano and Byron Buxton, Max Kepler and Eddie Rosario. Weaknesses: lack of high upside arms although that's improved thanks to '12 draft and winter trades that brought in Alex Meyer and Trevor May. If new group of arms develops properly, this could be a top three system by end of '13."

#2 Knotholemike

Knotholemike

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

Yay!:jump:

#3 beehles

beehles

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

Great improvement. Let's hope these guys' potential blossoms into some great MLB careers down the road! Probably more excited to follow everyone down on the farm than the major leage club this year...

#4 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,333 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

The Twins need to find a way to leave Hicks and Arcia in the system so that they can be top 3 next year :)

#5 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

The Twins need to find a way to leave Hicks and Arcia in the system so that they can be top 3 next year :)

Actually, I think Arcia loses his rookie eligiblity this year but he might not. He's awfully young so the Twins might not push him. And even though Hicks and Gibson will be gone, they'll add the #4 pick and (hopefully) strong years by some of Kepler, Berrios, May or some sleepers we aren't focusing on (Harrison, Polcanco, Santana) will keep the high ranking next year. (Or Buxton can absolutely explode and become a top 5 prospect).

#6 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

Joe Benson starts at CF and doesn't give up the position all year. Someone will still come up if Morneau or Willingham are traded.....
Do or do not. There is no try.

#7 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

If Sano and Buxton progress as they should and they make a good pick at #4 it will be a top 3 system no matter where Hicks and Arcia end up.
Papers...business papers.

#8 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,950 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

If Sano and Buxton progress as they should and they make a good pick at #4 it will be a top 3 system no matter where Hicks and Arcia end up.

I disagree. They need pitching to step up to get into the top 3 (but it's still possible without Arcia and Hicks).

#9 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

Drafting Manaea, Stanek or Appel along with possible improvements from the the A ball and rk ball players can take this system to the top 3 regardless of losing Hicks, Arcia and Gibson.

#10 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

I disagree. They need pitching to step up to get into the top 3 (but it's still possible without Arcia and Hicks).

Fair enough. I was still counting Meyer and May and the potential draft pick. Obviously nothing is automatic. They could drop or they could end up #1. Should be a fun year to follow the system.

#11 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,950 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

Fair enough. I was still counting Meyer and May and the potential draft pick. Obviously nothing is automatic. They could drop or they could end up #1. Should be a fun year to follow the system.

Yeah, the minors will be more interesting than the team in Minnesota, in all likelihood. It's hard not to like what Smith and Ryan did with the minor leagues over the past 3-4 years, even if most of us spend a large portion of our time complaining about their handling of the Major League squad.

#12 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 821 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

Drafting Manaea, Stanek or Appel along with possible improvements from the the A ball and rk ball players can take this system to the top 3 regardless of losing Hicks, Arcia and Gibson.

I know it is early but sure do hope that daft offers up FOUR can't miss draft picks. We keep talking about the 3 pitchers but we pick fourth. There are a couple of toolsy Georgia outfielders who are pretty good. Hopefully one of those teams in front of us picks one of them so we can get our hands on one of the top pitchers. I would really like Manaea because he is a lefty and isn't a Boras client (I don't think anyway). If Appel is there I think we have to take him and pay him over slot. He may be the best of the bunch and could be to the majors by 2015.

#13 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,950 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

I know it is early but sure do hope that daft offers up FOUR can't miss draft picks. We keep talking about the 3 pitchers but we pick fourth. There are a couple of toolsy Georgia outfielders who are pretty good. Hopefully one of those teams in front of us picks one of them so we can get our hands on one of the top pitchers. I would really like Manaea because he is a lefty and isn't a Boras client (I don't think anyway). If Appel is there I think we have to take him and pay him over slot. He may be the best of the bunch and could be to the majors by 2015.

We still have an entire prep and college season to play before the draft. Worrying that the top three pitchers will be taken before the Twins draft at #4 is premature. A lot can and will change before June.

#14 FrodaddyG

FrodaddyG

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

We still have an entire prep and college season to play before the draft. Worrying that the top three pitchers will be taken before the Twins draft at #4 is premature. A lot can and will change before June.

Exactly. There's also a good chance there's a currently-off-the-radar high school kid who was a scrawny junior throwing 86 last year that grew 5 inches and comes in touching 98 this year. (And the Twins will do everything in their power to get him back to 86, ASAP.)

#15 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

Exactly. There's also a good chance there's a currently-off-the-radar high school kid who was a scrawny junior throwing 86 last year that grew 5 inches and comes in touching 98 this year. (And the Twins will do everything in their power to get him back to 86, ASAP.)

I know you're joking. But be careful, there are some Twins fans that will actually believe this.

#16 FrodaddyG

FrodaddyG

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

I know you're joking. But be careful, there are some Twins fans that will actually believe this.

Yeah. They'd probably be fine with it if he only got back to 89.

#17 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,160 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

Encouraging news, love the make-up of some of these hitters. Smith's aggressiveness still could pay a lot of positive dividends.

#18 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

Yeah. They'd probably be fine with it if he only got back to 89.

That only depends on if he can really get some sink on that thing.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#19 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,950 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

Encouraging news, love the make-up of some of these hitters. Smith's aggressiveness still could pay a lot of positive dividends.

I've always been a fan of how Smith ran the minor league system.

#20 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 821 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

I've always been a fan of how Smith ran the minor league system.

Minus trading a first division catcher for a soft throwing closer.