Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Sickels ranks Twins system #7

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

Up from 17 last year.
2013 Baseball Farm System Rankings - Minor League Ball
"Strengths: hitting. Oswaldo Arcia and Aaron Hicks will be ready to help the outfield sometime in 2013. Enormous upside in players like Miguel Sano and Byron Buxton, Max Kepler and Eddie Rosario. Weaknesses: lack of high upside arms although that's improved thanks to '12 draft and winter trades that brought in Alex Meyer and Trevor May. If new group of arms develops properly, this could be a top three system by end of '13."

#2 Knotholemike

Knotholemike

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

Yay!:jump:

#3 beehles

beehles

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

Great improvement. Let's hope these guys' potential blossoms into some great MLB careers down the road! Probably more excited to follow everyone down on the farm than the major leage club this year...

#4 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

The Twins need to find a way to leave Hicks and Arcia in the system so that they can be top 3 next year :)

#5 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

The Twins need to find a way to leave Hicks and Arcia in the system so that they can be top 3 next year :)

Actually, I think Arcia loses his rookie eligiblity this year but he might not. He's awfully young so the Twins might not push him. And even though Hicks and Gibson will be gone, they'll add the #4 pick and (hopefully) strong years by some of Kepler, Berrios, May or some sleepers we aren't focusing on (Harrison, Polcanco, Santana) will keep the high ranking next year. (Or Buxton can absolutely explode and become a top 5 prospect).

#6 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

Joe Benson starts at CF and doesn't give up the position all year. Someone will still come up if Morneau or Willingham are traded.....
Do or do not. There is no try.

#7 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,261 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

If Sano and Buxton progress as they should and they make a good pick at #4 it will be a top 3 system no matter where Hicks and Arcia end up.
Papers...business papers.

#8 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,871 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

If Sano and Buxton progress as they should and they make a good pick at #4 it will be a top 3 system no matter where Hicks and Arcia end up.

I disagree. They need pitching to step up to get into the top 3 (but it's still possible without Arcia and Hicks).

#9 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

Drafting Manaea, Stanek or Appel along with possible improvements from the the A ball and rk ball players can take this system to the top 3 regardless of losing Hicks, Arcia and Gibson.

#10 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,261 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

I disagree. They need pitching to step up to get into the top 3 (but it's still possible without Arcia and Hicks).

Fair enough. I was still counting Meyer and May and the potential draft pick. Obviously nothing is automatic. They could drop or they could end up #1. Should be a fun year to follow the system.

#11 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,871 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

Fair enough. I was still counting Meyer and May and the potential draft pick. Obviously nothing is automatic. They could drop or they could end up #1. Should be a fun year to follow the system.

Yeah, the minors will be more interesting than the team in Minnesota, in all likelihood. It's hard not to like what Smith and Ryan did with the minor leagues over the past 3-4 years, even if most of us spend a large portion of our time complaining about their handling of the Major League squad.

#12 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

Drafting Manaea, Stanek or Appel along with possible improvements from the the A ball and rk ball players can take this system to the top 3 regardless of losing Hicks, Arcia and Gibson.

I know it is early but sure do hope that daft offers up FOUR can't miss draft picks. We keep talking about the 3 pitchers but we pick fourth. There are a couple of toolsy Georgia outfielders who are pretty good. Hopefully one of those teams in front of us picks one of them so we can get our hands on one of the top pitchers. I would really like Manaea because he is a lefty and isn't a Boras client (I don't think anyway). If Appel is there I think we have to take him and pay him over slot. He may be the best of the bunch and could be to the majors by 2015.

#13 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,871 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

I know it is early but sure do hope that daft offers up FOUR can't miss draft picks. We keep talking about the 3 pitchers but we pick fourth. There are a couple of toolsy Georgia outfielders who are pretty good. Hopefully one of those teams in front of us picks one of them so we can get our hands on one of the top pitchers. I would really like Manaea because he is a lefty and isn't a Boras client (I don't think anyway). If Appel is there I think we have to take him and pay him over slot. He may be the best of the bunch and could be to the majors by 2015.

We still have an entire prep and college season to play before the draft. Worrying that the top three pitchers will be taken before the Twins draft at #4 is premature. A lot can and will change before June.

#14 FrodaddyG

FrodaddyG

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

We still have an entire prep and college season to play before the draft. Worrying that the top three pitchers will be taken before the Twins draft at #4 is premature. A lot can and will change before June.

Exactly. There's also a good chance there's a currently-off-the-radar high school kid who was a scrawny junior throwing 86 last year that grew 5 inches and comes in touching 98 this year. (And the Twins will do everything in their power to get him back to 86, ASAP.)

#15 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

Exactly. There's also a good chance there's a currently-off-the-radar high school kid who was a scrawny junior throwing 86 last year that grew 5 inches and comes in touching 98 this year. (And the Twins will do everything in their power to get him back to 86, ASAP.)

I know you're joking. But be careful, there are some Twins fans that will actually believe this.

#16 FrodaddyG

FrodaddyG

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

I know you're joking. But be careful, there are some Twins fans that will actually believe this.

Yeah. They'd probably be fine with it if he only got back to 89.

#17 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

Encouraging news, love the make-up of some of these hitters. Smith's aggressiveness still could pay a lot of positive dividends.

#18 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

Yeah. They'd probably be fine with it if he only got back to 89.

That only depends on if he can really get some sink on that thing.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#19 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,871 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

Encouraging news, love the make-up of some of these hitters. Smith's aggressiveness still could pay a lot of positive dividends.

I've always been a fan of how Smith ran the minor league system.

#20 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

Minus trading a first division catcher for a soft throwing closer.

#21 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

I think it's fairly safe to say that many of the guys Ryan is now counting on may not have been there if he was in charge when they were acquired.

#22 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

He also mishandled younger players Garza, Bartlett, and Young. If it wasn't for the international signings we'd all be singing a different tune.

#23 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,350 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

Assuming that you are not being factitious, what did you like about Smith's regime?

#24 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:19 AM

Not only is this way premature, but why the hell would you pay Appel over slot? He's a senior in college. Where's he gonna go? Indy?

#25 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,236 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:03 AM

Not only is this way premature, but why the hell would you pay Appel over slot? He's a senior in college. Where's he gonna go? Indy?

St Paul Saints

#26 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,871 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:21 AM

I consider that a mishandling of the major league roster.

#27 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,871 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

Assuming that you are not being factitious, what did you like about Smith's regime?

Smith went hard after Sano when everyone was skeptical that the Twins would be competitive in the international market. Now, the Twins have an elite prospect due to Smith opening the checkbook and allowing the scouting department to go after a guy they really wanted.

Would JR have done the same thing? It's possible but there's nothing in his previous tenure or his current tenure to believe that's the case. That's what I liked about Smith. He wasn't afraid to go hard after the international market and make a real splash in an attempt to improve the franchise. He also drafted what many consider to be the Twins' third best prospect, Hicks. He also drafted Gibson, a ballsy but smart move after Kyle had dropped way down the list after breaking his arm (I think it was his arm). People seem to forget that the Twins minor league system improved (by a lot) under Smith's tenure as GM. It was under Ryan that the Twins were left in a spot where Nick Blackburn was a "top prospect" (though it was under Ryan that the Twins picked up Arcia). The Twins farm was really bad in 2007/2008 and its current strength is largely due to the work of Bill Smith, not Terry Ryan. Most of the guys we're excited about right now were acquisitions under Smith's stewardship.

On the other hand, outside of the 2009/2010 offseason, Smith's handling of the Major League roster was abominable. Trading the Twins' two best pitchers before the 2008 season, moving Hardy for Hoey, Nishioka, etc... Nearly every move was a disaster. The Capps/Ramos trade was bad but it wasn't even close to Smith's worst move as GM. The Twins got some quality time out of Capps, more than they can say about Hoey, Nishioka, and the pile of garbage they got in return for Santana.

#28 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

This org is overflowing with toolsy OFers... I'd be OK with a college toolsy MI or a P, but another outfielder would be down right stupid. There won't be 4 strasburgs in this draft. Once you get to the 4 pick, there will be a number of similar type players, so spare me BPA...

#29 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

More on the farm system. In his fangraphs chat today, Mike Newman was asked:

Regarding the AL Central, which team do you think has the best prospects, which has the worst? Posted Image

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="class: chatmsgtime"]12:14
[/TD]
[TD="class: chatmsgtext altcaster_text"][TABLE]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Mike Newman:
Worst is still the Chicago White Sox and will continue to be for the near future at least. As for the best, Minnesota hands down. They have a ton of talent in the low minors and traded for a bunch more. It's a sneaky good system right now.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

#30 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

Another snippet from Mike Newman on maybe my favorite Twins prospect:

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]"Comment From Fred

Your thoughts on Max Kepler? Do you think a breakout season coming off a breakout season is in the cards for him? [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Posted Image
[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="class: chatmsgtime"]1:26
[/TD]
[TD="class: chatmsgtext altcaster_text"][TABLE]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Mike Newman:
I would not make a top-100 list without Max Kepler in it. Very nice player with an above average skill set across the board. He's a good bet to break out in 2013."
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

And he likes Kepler more than Bubba Starling of the Royals.

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)