Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Who would you rout for and follow - Seattle or Colorado?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

I'm asking for a little help. I am moving to Idaho in a few weeks, and while I will continue to be a Twins fan and follow the team long distance, I'll also probably follow somebody a little closer as well. Looking at the map, Seattle and Colorado appear to be about equidistant from where I'll be living. I know next to nothing about these franchises, other than Seattle is in the AL, Colorado is in the NL, and both are historically underperformers with projected payroll this year lower than the Twins.

Any advice on which club would be the more satisfying to follow? Which one is likely to excel in the years to come?

Thanks!

Edited by IdahoPilgrim, 29 January 2013 - 02:56 PM.

#2 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

Seattle's got a much better farm system - Walker, Hultzen, Zunino, etc - so I would probably go that route. From what I understand, both have pretty nice ballparks, if you're going to travel there ever.

#3 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

I'm asking for a little help. I am moving to Idaho in a few weeks, and while I will continue to be a Twins fan and follow the team long distance, I'll also probably follow somebody a little closer as well. Looking at the map, Seattle and Colorado appear to be about equidistant from where I'll be living. I know next to nothing about these franchises, other than Seattle is in the AL, Colorado is in the NL, and both are historically underperformers with projected payroll this year lower than the Twins.

Any advice on which club would be the more satisfying to follow? Which one is likely to excel in the years to come?

Thanks!

I to am a long distance fan about 2800 miles from the twin cities, but managed to watch 155 games live .
If your a life long Twins fan , you may follow another team and know there players , but you will always follow
the Twins , because if your like me, they are in your DNA... Hope you enjoy Idaho .

#4 Tecmo

Tecmo

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

Seattle's management at least pretends they have a plan for the future, Colorado's management just feels totally clueless and inept.

#5 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

I lived in Idaho for 6 years. Allegiances are often mixed among the locals. Some relocated from the West coast, and some from other intermountain West states. They generally prefered teams from their original region. So, it's fine to stay a Twins fan--you won't be exorcized! California is generally denounced as is anything deemed "the East".

#6 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,385 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

Depends on where in Idaho... The biggest city is Boise and it's Seattle Territory... The Mariners are probably the team that will be on every night to watch. They got the majority of the state... Only the South Eastern Section that Juts out below Montana isn't exclusive Seattle territory for Media Rights... That is Colorado and Seattle Territory and not many people live there.

Apart from the TV Rights... Team against Team... Seattle would be my choice... They have better uniforms and Seattle is a pretty cool place to visit and as Jeremy said... Young Prospects that could give the organization a pretty big boost going forward.

#7 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

Thanks!

Colorado is my second favorite team...so I'd go with them.

#8 ericchri

ericchri

Generally Clueless

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

Might depend on whether you like seeing runs scored or not. If you like lower-scoring games, go Seattle (don't give up many, don't score many), where Colorado is pretty much the opposite (score lots, give up lots).

#9 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,385 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Colorado is my second favorite team...so I'd go with them.

You and I are just going to disagree on everything obviously! :roll:

#10 Dance with Disco Dan

Dance with Disco Dan

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

Seattle. One reason: their pitchers don't have to hit.

Colorado has two legit superstars right now and could be interesting for that reason but give me the DH any day.

#11 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

Thanks all for your input. I think I am leaning toward Seattle (even though I will be in the SE Idaho area where nobody lives:)); I saw last night that MLB.com rated them the highest farm system in their new prospect rankings. Besides, I'm just used to AL baseball, and I prefer a pitcher's dual to a slug-fest.

#12 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

MLB.tv makes it easy to never have to be a local fan if you don't want to while still enjoying baseball. I saw roughly 100 Braves games last season while living in South Dakota.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#13 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

Gotta agree with Nygaard. Might as well cheer for a team that's got good players coming up. Colorado is a team that never appears to be going anywhere. Seattle has looked good a few times, and it's on the coast, so there's other stuff to see if you're going to be driving a long way.

#14 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,385 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

MLB.tv makes it easy to never have to be a local fan if you don't want to while still enjoying baseball. I saw roughly 100 Braves games last season while living in South Dakota.

What you just said... Should have been followed by a Big Voiced Guy...

"Watch the 2013 Season on MLB.TV... Baseball Everywhere... Go to MLB.com and sign up Today" (Fade to Black)

#15 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

I prefer Seattle. They have top prospects that should be knocking on the door soon and should provide more story lines to follow.

#16 luke829

luke829

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

I'd go seek help from the local Sasquatch population; whoever they root for would be the team to beat.
Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

#17 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

Just be a Twins fan and then casually cheer for whichever team interests you at the moment. Being a baseball fan doesn't mean that you can only have one favorite team or that you have to live close to your favorite team. I live in Taiwan as a comparison.

#18 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:27 AM

Rockies are my 2nd team, it's a different game in a different league and it is nice to get to know the players in the NL as well.

#19 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:26 AM

Just be a Twins fan and then casually cheer for whichever team interests you at the moment. Being a baseball fan doesn't mean that you can only have one favorite team or that you have to live close to your favorite team. I live in Taiwan as a comparison.

Have you watched the Japanese league at all? I'd be curious as to your thoughts on how the game there compares to the way it is played here.

#20 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

I'd go seek help from the local Sasquatch population; whoever they root for would be the team to beat.

I cheer for the Braves

#21 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:30 AM

Thanks all for your input. I think I am leaning toward Seattle (even though I will be in the SE Idaho area where nobody lives:)); I saw last night that MLB.com rated them the highest farm system in their new prospect rankings. Besides, I'm just used to AL baseball, and I prefer a pitcher's dual to a slug-fest.

That's where I lived (Idaho Falls). Many "immigrated" to there and brought their team allegiances with them. You could even form your own fan club fo the Twins (or whoever) and start your own flock. What I'm saying is that you aren't locked into being a Seattle or a Colorado (or whatever) fan.

#22 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

Have you watched the Japanese league at all? I'd be curious as to your thoughts on how the game there compares to the way it is played here.

The ratio of baseball games that are on TV here. MLB - 2x: Taiwan league - 1x: Japanese - 0x: Korean - 0x

Taiwanese baseball isn't very good at all. They're skinny and I really don't bother watching tbh.

#23 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

What you just said... Should have been followed by a Big Voiced Guy...

"Watch the 2013 Season on MLB.TV... Baseball Everywhere... Go to MLB.com and sign up Today" (Fade to Black)

You've not heard me speak, apparently. I AM the big-voiced guy.

#24 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

That's where I lived (Idaho Falls). Many "immigrated" to there and brought their team allegiances with them. You could even form your own fan club fo the Twins (or whoever) and start your own flock. What I'm saying is that you aren't locked into being a Seattle or a Colorado (or whatever) fan.

I will of course remain a Twins fan first, and I may look into MLB.TV, but I also like just listening to a game on the radio or watching on live (real) TV - hence my interest in following a (more) local team as well.

I'll be in Pocatello, just down the road from Idaho Falls - home of Idaho State, alma mater of Jared Allen (one of my new parishioners is already lobbying me to join/start a Vikings fan club).

#25 TwinVike61

TwinVike61

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

You also will have other options to watch minor league games in person...Idaho Falls Chukars are the Royals rookie league team and the Salt Lake Bees are the Angels' AAA team.

#26 BigSkyTwinsFan

BigSkyTwinsFan

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

Sounds like you've made your mind up with Seattle. Lots of good reasons already mentioned to follow the Mariners. I've been living the same dilema for the past 15+ years, located a couple of hundred miles north of your future location. I think you'll find more Mariner followers than Rockies followers in this part of the world. For me, the choice of which club to follow was mostly influenced by ability to catch a Twins game in person. Obviously, there are a couple of opportunities/year to catch the Twins in Seattle, and only infrequently in Denver. Also, retractable roof in Seattle ensures you will see the game if you travel. Also, it's nice to watch games where you have a high level of interest/knowledge of both teams. The most important thing, however, is that while you can follow the Mariners, you pull for the Twins.

#27 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

I will of course remain a Twins fan first, and I may look into MLB.TV, but I also like just listening to a game on the radio or watching on live (real) TV - hence my interest in following a (more) local team as well.

I'll be in Pocatello, just down the road from Idaho Falls - home of Idaho State, alma mater of Jared Allen (one of my new parishioners is already lobbying me to join/start a Vikings fan club).

Hint: never join a football team fan club with your congregants. No good can come from it!

One thing you can do is get 2-3 people to share an MLB.tv account, and you can always get their radio service as well. Depending on your TV, you may be able to plug your computer right into your TV to watch the game live or use a wireless connection to stream on your TV. You can also take the radio service and mlb.tv on your mobile anywhere. It's not as well-known as it should be, but one thing major league baseball is incredibly far in the lead on in major sports leagues is internet media usage. It is really quite remarkable when you get into all the things MLB's IM (interactive media) division offers, it's tremendous.

#28 East Coast Twin

East Coast Twin

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

You also will have other options to watch minor league games in person...Idaho Falls Chukars are the Royals rookie league team and the Salt Lake Bees are the Angels' AAA team.

I'll second that. Bees games are a blast and Salt Lake City is only 150 miles from Pocatello.