Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

La Velle: Twins Could Offer Joe Saunders An Option Year

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

Some post-TwinsFest notes and a free agent update | StarTribune.com

But they've also had little contact....

There were reports a couple weeks ago that things were heating up between the Twins Joe Saunders but that wasn't the case. In fact, the sides have had little contact in recent weeks.

#2 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

Does anyone else find it bizarre that Joe Saunders is drawing so little interest? He's nothing special but he's been a pretty solid inning-eater throughout his career and those guys tend to get paid in FA (see: Jeremy Guthrie). No injury concerns that I'm aware of but maybe I missed something?

#3 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,326 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

I'll chalk this one up to "agent dramatically overplayed his hand and got caught with limited suitors."

If he had Correia's agent he could have signed for 3 years and $36 million at the start of December. :)

#4 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,917 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

Does anyone else find it bizarre that Joe Saunders is drawing so little interest? He's nothing special but he's been a pretty solid inning-eater throughout his career and those guys tend to get paid in FA (see: Jeremy Guthrie). No injury concerns that I'm aware of but maybe I missed something?

I do... I find it even more bizarre that Marcum signed for 1 year 4 million.

#5 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,879 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

Between Marcum and Saunders, I have no idea what to think anymore. The thought that the Twins may have missed a chance to have both Marcum and Saunders for the price of Corriea and Pelfrey just makes me want to drink away this season.

#6 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,788 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

Marcum, 1 year, 4 million, Joe Saunders, nothing and somehow we have Kevin Correia for 2/10.........that's bizarre.

#7 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

I think it's a case of those speculative FA dollars (extra revenue next year) drying up. Teams were spending like crazy at the beginning but that's leveled off. Part of that is due to a lot of big trades going down where competitive teams added payroll and rebuilding teams cut payroll but then didn't spend that money.

#8 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,368 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:08 AM

Between Marcum and Saunders, I have no idea what to think anymore. The thought that the Twins may have missed a chance to have both Marcum and Saunders for the price of Corriea and Pelfrey just makes me want to drink away this season.

I will buy the first round my friend.