Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Interesting Rule that will affect the Twins' next cuts.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:33 PM

You learn something every day, and not sure that this has always been here or whether it is part of the new CBA, but ESPN NY said in an article (talking about the Mets, but it is applicable for all MLB teams: )

Any player on the 40-man roster who is still in major league camp on March 20 cannot be optioned to the minors if they are injured and unable to perform -- regardless of when the injury actually occurred. If the player does not heal by Opening Day, he has to go on the major league DL. That means major league service time and major league salary are accumulated.

Who is in that position (and still in the MLB camp) for the Twins?
Joe Benson
Carlos Gutierrez
Liam Hendriks
Chris Parmelee
Rene Tosoni
Kyle Waldrop

Alex Burnett and Jeff Manship are on their last option season so it does not affect them
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#2 whydidnt

whydidnt

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

I don't understand why it wouldn't impact guys with just one option left. The Twins still wouldn't want to pay major league salaries to those guys if they got hurt.

#3 Neinstein

Neinstein

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:21 PM

wait. Since when did any of these guys get injured?
"You teach me baseball and I'll teach you relativity. No, we must not. You will learn about relativity faster than I learn baseball." [SIZE=2]​Albert Einstein[/SIZE]

#4 Fanatic Jack

Fanatic Jack

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

Thrylos98, Nice job finding this rule.

#5 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:45 PM

You learn something every day, and not sure that this has always been here or whether it is part of the new CBA, but ESPN NY said in an article (talking about the Mets, but it is applicable for all MLB teams: )

Who is in that position (and still in the MLB camp) for the Twins?
Joe Benson
Carlos Gutierrez
Liam Hendriks
Chris Parmelee
Rene Tosoni
Kyle Waldrop

Alex Burnett and Jeff Manship are on their last option season so it does not affect them

thrylos, are you sure this is new, or has the date just changed? I seem to remember this being an issue in previous springs as well. If you get hurt in ST, you go on the ML DL...

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:44 PM

That's not a new rule.

#7 wagwan

wagwan

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:55 AM

He did not say it was new. He said it was new to him. And I am guessing to many of us Anyway those guys are being cut then.....or if not cut Monday, we can assume they will be there opening day. What do you think? Waldrop and Gutierrez make it?

#8 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:35 AM

As I recall, it affected the Twins last year or the year before with a pitcher. I forget who it was, exactly. I don't think it really affects who makes the roster, but it probably means that a significant round of cuts will be made by the 19th.

#9 Jim H

Jim H

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

Actually the rule has been around for awhile. I don't know how much it really effects things. Occasionally someone gets sent back to the minor league camp a little earlier than they might of otherwise. If a guy has a chance to make the 25 man roster, they aren't going to be sent down. The major effect sometimes, is that the guys that fill out a particular day's roster in the later part of spring training are non 40 man roster guys. That's when you might see a Sano or Rosario or one of the young pitchers for the last inning or so.

#10 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:17 PM

As I recall, it affected the Twins last year or the year before with a pitcher. I forget who it was, exactly. I don't think it really affects who makes the roster, but it probably means that a significant round of cuts will be made by the 19th.

Pretty sure it was Glen Perkins... I seem to remember some griping that he did it intentionally after that whole grievance thing.

#11 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:14 AM

Interesting. I would think Hendriks would have a shot at opening day rotation if Baker doesnt recover in time...could end up being a tricky situation if that's the route they go and then Hendriks were to get hurt.

#12 Brandon Warne

Brandon Warne

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:14 AM

Interesting. I would think Hendriks would have a shot at opening day rotation if Baker doesnt recover in time...could end up being a tricky situation if that's the route they go and then Hendriks were to get hurt.

Not really. With early days off you can just juggle the rotation.
Follow me on Twitter: @brandon_warne (drop me a line and I'll follow back)
Check out the Minnesota Baseball Writer's Alliance Facebook page!
Finally, [COLOR=#000080]GO[/COLOR] [COLOR=#ff0000]TWINS[/COLOR]!