Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins Announce Non-Roster Invites

royce lewis trevor larnach matt canterino
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,794 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 01:47 PM

Ian Hamilton has cleared waivers and will remain with the Twins. He has been invited to spring training, so I added him back to the above.  

• big dog, DocBauer and MN_ExPat like this

#22 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 7,297 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 02:40 PM

Ian Hamilton has cleared waivers and will remain with the Twins. He has been invited to spring training, so I added him back to the above.

Great news. The kid deserves a break and some continuity in his professional life for a change. Hope he has a great year.
  • MN_ExPat likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#23 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

I had fun once... It was awful.

• 568 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia (the state, not the country)

Posted 17 February 2021 - 07:19 AM

-40 wind chill outside and we're talking Spring Training!!Can't friggin wait!!

We feel your pain. It's been nasty cold and wet down here as well this past week.I think we hit 51 two days ago.....brrrrrr!

;)

#24 big dog

big dog

• 3,223 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 08:25 AM

We feel your pain. It's been nasty cold and wet down here as well this past week.I think we hit 51 two days ago.....brrrrrr!

;)

Dislike.

Intensely.

Go pick an orange.

• MN_ExPat likes this

#25 chpettit19

chpettit19

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 268 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 09:29 AM

What about the infield? The Twins, ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, have one of the best infields in all of MLB. 100%! And Arraez as the 10th man is brilliant. Reports indicate he is on board, and his role will be a larger version of what be did his rookie year. BUT...despite talent and optimism, we have a history of ankles and knees and calves in our potentially awesome infield. While we want to roll with Arraez as an outstanding 10th man, history has shown you can't always bet on potential and want and hope. Wouldn't it make sense to have insurance? While Marwin underachieved, and found enough AB to be a starter, there was still room for Adrianza to play. Arraez takes the Marwin role. But what makes more sense for a contending team? Have a couple of experienced glove guys at AAA you have to make room for, OR hope that Gordon and Blankenhorn are ready to help when called on...and maybe they will be...OR, drop a couple $M on a veteran infielder who may play a little, or a lot, and just increase your depth and options there? Forgive my language, but I'd rather "potentially" piss away a couple $M for a proven infield option and hope for the best and let Gordon and Blankenhorn get themselves ready at St Paul.

What "proven" infield option wants to sign on for the role that's available on this roster? I know there is talk of Arraez playing LF some this year (and he may start there opening day), but if a combination of Larnach, Kirilloff, Rooker are mashing at AAA and/or the majors you're not putting him out there. Marwin got starter PAs by covering 5 positions, Arraez is going to cover 3 primarily as there just aren't enough PAs to go around in the OF. I'm not a "let the kids play and see what they can do" person, but there are 40 man concerns coming real quick with the position players.

There aren't "proven" infield options who are going to sign up to be the backup to the backup. The guys left want to sign with Baltimore or Detroit or some other bottom feeding team where they may actually get some PAs to try to earn a contract next year. It's not about the $, it's about the opportunity and roster crunch. I'd be willing to bet Gordon isn't on this 40 man roster come 2022 so maybe he's someone you dump for a veteran end of the bench "proven" guy, but what guy wants to backup Arraez who's backing up the starters? Anyone willing to sign on to that major league role is likely willing to take a minor league deal with an invite to spring training, but again, the Twins aren't the team to take that route with either. They have too much competition for someone fighting for their career. I'd love to have a Kike or Tommy La Stella or other veteran guy, but the Twins are in a weird spot and there just aren't enough PAs to go around to the guys who will likely deserve PAs.

La Tortuga will be the 26th man and fill in here and there, once or twice a week, and provide C and corner depth. Arraez backs up the infield. As you mentioned the OF is full of depth. If I'm a FA infielder this offseason I'm not looking at the Twins and saying I want to sign here. They're one of my last options as there simply isn't an easy track to playing time.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: royce lewis, trevor larnach, matt canterino