Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins Daily 2021 Top Prospects: #9 RHP Matt Canterino

matt canterino
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 SarasotaBill

SarasotaBill

• 204 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 10:47 AM

I wonder if his "knee jerk" motion provides the same benefit as the hesitation movement of Japanese pitchers?

#22 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 16,169 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 12:48 PM

This Twitter link shows Canterino throwing another fastball at 97 with no pirouette. I hope he can manage 93-95 as a starter. That's plenty if his off-speed stuff is good.

Presumably the velocity uptick corresponded to some mechanical adjustments. Maybe easing off the quirkiness killed two birds with one stone.

• dbminn and MN_ExPat like this

#23 JLease

JLease

Wichita Wind Surge

• 927 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 02:29 PM

"max effort delivery" feels like a buzzword that doesn't have enough context and real research behind it yet. How many supposed "max effort" guys have actually had TJ in relationship to the total number, and how do you quantify who qualifies? This is like Verducci's theory that guys who increase their inning totals too much from year to year are more likely to get injured: it sounds good, it makes intuitive sense...but is there actual data to support it, or are we living in the land of anecdotal evidence?

Until he actually gets hurt or his mechanics fall apart consistently, I'm not going to worry about it for him. I'm excited that he's added velocity on the fastball and honing his secondary offerings and seems to like working with the Twins on some analytics. Him missing a year really stinks, because he was likely to have risen pretty quickly, and I'd really rather he be starting at AA, working against more advanced hitters and so forth.

If he can work consistently in the mid-90's with the fastball and pair it off with a sharp curve, that's a great basis to be mixing with. Looking forward to seeing what he can do, and really hope he can stick as a starter.

• DocBauer, MN_ExPat and rdehring like this

#24 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 7,167 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 07:57 PM

I'm with JLease on this. I don't even pretend to be an expert on a pitcher's motion and whether or not it's "max effort", which has always been a bit of a misnomer to me because aren't pitchers usually looking for max delivery/effort? I quibble over semantics deliberately merely to make a point.

Yes, he has a herky-jerky movement initially, but then there is a brief pause before he delivers. And while some don't like what appears to me as a 3/4 delivery, it appears his motion is fluid once he gets past that brief pause. He himself has stated it's part of his timing mechanism. And while arm injuries can happen to any pitcher, at any time, in their career, it also happens for position players. For something that has worked so well for him so far...and seems smooth to me past that initial leg kick...I can't find myself concerned at this point.

I think he has a chance to be a fast-riser and I will be disappointed if he doesn't spend at least a half year at Wichita after beginning the season at Cedar Rapids. With all due respect, hope and optimism to Duran and Jordy Blaze, I wouldn't be shocked if he was our top pitching prospect going in to next season.
  • MN_ExPat and rdehring like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#25 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Wichita Wind Surge

• 772 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 16 February 2021 - 07:29 AM

Remember Luis Tiant? As I remember, he did "okay" with many weird movements in his delivery.

#26 rdehring

rdehring

St Paul Saints

• 2,289 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 08:21 AM

I'm with JLease on this. I don't even pretend to be an expert on a pitcher's motion and whether or not it's "max effort", which has always been a bit of a misnomer to me because aren't pitchers usually looking for max delivery/effort? I quibble over semantics deliberately merely to make a point.

Yes, he has a herky-jerky movement initially, but then there is a brief pause before he delivers. And while some don't like what appears to me as a 3/4 delivery, it appears his motion is fluid once he gets past that brief pause. He himself has stated it's part of his timing mechanism. And while arm injuries can happen to any pitcher, at any time, in their career, it also happens for position players. For something that has worked so well for him so far...and seems smooth to me past that initial leg kick...I can't find myself concerned at this point.

I think he has a chance to be a fast-riser and I will be disappointed if he doesn't spend at least a half year at Wichita after beginning the season at Cedar Rapids. With all due respect, hope and optimism to Duran and Jordy Blaze, I wouldn't be shocked if he was our top pitching prospect going in to next season.

Your mentioning starting in Cedar Rapids this spring, Doc, got me thinking about minor league schedules.

Does anyone know what the schedules are going be this summer? Will AAA begin around April 1 along with MLB? Will the minor league players not in big league spring training not report until after April 1 when big league camp is over? If so, can't see AA and the lower leagues beginning until May. Read somewhere several months ago that the minor league seasons will be extended into or thru September. 

Does anyone have actual reports if these decisions have been made?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: matt canterino