Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins Revise Spring Training Schedule

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Wichita Wind Surge

• 573 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 04:37 PM

Only playing five teams: Red Sox, Orioles, Pirates, Braves and Rays. Limited seating, masks ...

#2 Number3

Number3

Wichita Wind Surge

• 564 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 08:43 AM

Makes perfect sense Covid or no Covid. Playing meaningless games and spending hours and hours riding buses or driving personal vehicles (for the privileged) makes little sense. Takes way too much time from the golf course.

• Otwins likes this

#3 KFEY93

KFEY93

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 192 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 08:52 AM

Only playing five teams: Red Sox, Orioles, Pirates, Braves and Rays. Limited seating, masks ...

Sitting out side in spread out limited seating....still need to wear masks. The fact no one else finds that pointless and insane scares me. 

• Jerr and jamisea like this

#4 KFEY93

KFEY93

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 192 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 08:53 AM

Makes perfect sense Covid or no Covid. Playing meaningless games and spending hours and hours riding buses or driving personal vehicles (for the privileged) makes little sense. Takes way too much time from the golf course.

I more concerned with pitchers getting full stretched out and loose for the regular season. I guess BP sessions can help

#5 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Wichita Wind Surge

• 573 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 09:11 AM

Many of us over 65 have received at least the first shot of Pfizer or Moderna. I’m fully vaccinated on March 1rst and hope to catch the March 4 game in Fort Myers. The vaccines are 95% effective 10 to 14 days after second dose. Study in Britain showed AstraZeneca vax greatly reduced transmission of virus (unlikely the other vaxxes are less effective). The need for masks and distancing for the fully vaxxed with no symptoms is dropping - soon, no new normal.

#6 Squirrel

Squirrel

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,898 posts
  • LocationFrostbite Falls, MN

Posted 16 February 2021 - 09:33 AM

I more concerned with pitchers getting full stretched out and loose for the regular season. I guess BP sessions can help

They are still playing the same number of games, but are just playing the same cluster of teams who are closest, something they have been doing for a while, but now not even the occasional ‘far away’ team. If you look at their schedule, only two off days, which is typical. So pitchers should still be able to get their pitching in.
  • KFEY93 likes this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#7 Dodecahedron

Dodecahedron

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 245 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 09:54 AM

Sitting out side in spread out limited seating....still need to wear masks. The fact no one else finds that pointless and insane scares me. 

This policy makes all the sense in the world. There are interactions that happen before and after people get to their seats, where people will be in very close contact. 

Heck, if the Twins were playing anywhere except the affluent part of Florida, most people would probably be wearing masks anyway and the team wouldn't even have to point out the policy.

• Craig Arko and RaoulDuke like this

#8 umterp23

umterp23

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 78 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 10:03 AM

Many of us over 65 have received at least the first shot of Pfizer or Moderna. I’m fully vaccinated on March 1rst and hope to catch the March 4 game in Fort Myers. The vaccines are 95% effective 10 to 14 days after second dose. Study in Britain showed AstraZeneca vax greatly reduced transmission of virus (unlikely the other vaxxes are less effective). The need for masks and distancing for the fully vaxxed with no symptoms is dropping - soon, no new normal.

defining many over 65 ... wouldn't say many.  My parents live in MD and are 85 and 87 years healthy and they aren't even close to getting vaccine.  They keep being told you are on the list, but maybe by the end of March.  My in-laws in western PA are 79 years old and their 1st dose is mid-march.  So the rollout, not rolling in many states effectively.  PA has 4 phases and my wife and kids are phase 4 which have been told may not be till the holidays at the earliest.  

#9 Squirrel

Squirrel

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,898 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 10:17 AM

defining many over 65 ... wouldn't say many.  My parents live in MD and are 85 and 87 years healthy and they aren't even close to getting vaccine.  They keep being told you are on the list, but maybe by the end of March.  My in-laws in western PA are 79 years old and their 1st dose is mid-march.  So the rollout, not rolling in many states effectively.  PA has 4 phases and my wife and kids are phase 4 which have been told may not be till the holidays at the earliest.  

My Mom is 91, lives in Florida, and her first dose is tomorrow. So yeah ... distribution is still being ramped up but isn't quite there yet. I won't get my first dose in IL who knows when. I am priority group 2, however, we are still in 1b with 1c next, so, depending on what they do with distribution, I'm not likely to see vaccination for a few months yet. Mask wearing is the best effective means, for now, to keep it in check. Yeah, it's outdoor seating and yeah, people will be distanced 'in pods,' but, people will be coming and going to get to their seats, and getting into the park and through the concourse, I can see the mask requirement and I think the Twins are wise to do their due diligence. We don't know the efficacy in transmission rates yet, so, due diligence is wise, imo.

That said, I'm happy to see that there will be ST, and that there will be fans allowed there at all. If I am able, I will try to get a pair of tickets for when I'm there (you will have to purchase tickets in pairs or in fours, no single tickets), and I will gladly don my mask, if that's what it takes, to go to a live baseball game! :)

• Craig Arko, BeatTheRich and umterp23 like this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#10 Dodecahedron

Dodecahedron

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 245 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 10:47 AM

My mother in law, who is very high risk and 77, has not received a vaccine.

She has not left the house since July and our kid is doing remote classwork primarily because of her grandmother's health issues. Her school district has the option to attend classes in person or remotely, thank goodness. We are blessed in that we were able to give her a full apartment in our house, so she has been fine even though she cannot go anywhere. And the best part is, other students can go to school if they do not have a similar living situation.

I got the virus early on (March/April), and I can tell you it's not something to take lightly. I am on blood thinners anyway, and I think that's what kept me from having a serious reaction. Precautions like masking are a minor inconvenience and are a good idea. You may not care if you die (give me freedom or give me death over a virus? mmkay, but I don't think the virus is listening to your demand), but you have friends and family who would not be pleased about losing you.

/rant

• Craig Arko and RaoulDuke like this

#11 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Wichita Wind Surge

• 573 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 09:41 AM

For those who have received the vaccine and are not symptomatic, the ballparks should open up. Play ball.
  • KFEY93 likes this

#12 Squirrel

Squirrel

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,898 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 10:12 AM

For those who have received the vaccine and are not symptomatic, the ballparks should open up. Play ball.

Okay, putting on my moderator cap ... This is not a covid vaccination discussion. Some discussion is necessary because of restrictions still in place for ST, whether or not you agree with it, but, the ballpark IS opening up, and that is something to get excited about, albeit, continued adherence of CDC advice. Things are looking hopeful, but we aren't there yet. While early data is looking promising that the vaccines will also limit transmission, it is not conclusive and research and medical experts still warn that masks and distancing for the foreseeable near future are recommended. The Twins are following the science. Stop suggesting otherwise.

For everyone else ... talk about ST, will you or won't you go, that's what this topic is about.

#13 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,942 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 17 February 2021 - 10:23 AM

I'm a 63-year old diabetic. Had my first shot about 3 weeks ago and get the second next week. This was pretty much through dumb luck.

After I recover from the second shot, I fully intend to continue all the protocols as before because a ) 95% is not 100%, and b ) it's not just about me. For some inexplicable reason, I care about the safety of my fellow human beings. Even all of you.:lol:

• RaoulDuke likes this

Update your priors.

#14 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,942 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 11:09 AM

For everyone else ... talk about ST, will you or won't you go, that's what this topic is about.

I will not be going. May listen to some radio broadcasts as background noise.

Update your priors.

#15 chaderic20

chaderic20

• 106 posts
  • LocationWaukee, IA

Posted 17 February 2021 - 11:24 AM

I will not be going. May listen to some radio broadcasts as background noise.

Has the radio broadcast schedule been released anywhere yet? I haven't been able to find anything. I'm ready for some sounds of spring!

#16 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,942 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 11:30 AM

Has the radio broadcast schedule been released anywhere yet? I haven't been able to find anything. I'm ready for some sounds of spring!

Not that I know of.

• chaderic20 likes this

Update your priors.

#17 Thegrin

Thegrin

• 1,177 posts
  • LocationRipon, CA

Posted 17 February 2021 - 12:52 PM

I would love to attend Spring Training, but it seems odd to trade beautiful California weather for iffy Florida weather.:)

#18 Squirrel

Squirrel

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,898 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 01:03 PM

I would love to attend Spring Training, but it seems odd to trade beautiful California weather for iffy Florida weather.:)

I'll trade iffy IL weather for iffy FL weather this time of year :)

• IndianaTwin likes this

#19 KFEY93

KFEY93

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 192 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 02:59 PM

They are still playing the same number of games, but are just playing the same cluster of teams who are closest, something they have been doing for a while, but now not even the occasional ‘far away’ team. If you look at their schedule, only two off days, which is typical. So pitchers should still be able to get their pitching in.

Ah, good to know! Thanks! 

#20 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 2,292 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 04:28 PM

I'll trade iffy IL weather for iffy FL weather this time of year :)

And IT clicks “like” before heading to the garage one more time to get the bike back on the rollers...

But hey, 31 degrees by Saturday, so hopefully roads will be clear enough to give it a try outside!