Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Marcum To Mets

• Please log in to reply
295 replies to this topic

#21 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:34 AM

It's hard to get excited about the Twins, when it's plain to be seen that the F.O. isn't even trying to put a major league team on the field.

#22 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 11,530 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

I think we can all agree on the need for better pitching. I don't necessarily agree it was possible to buy much this offseason. All the guys who signed for 1 or 2 years are different shades of meh.

The others weren't coming barring a vast overpay.

So what if one year deals are for "meh" players? The Twins had the worst pitching staff in baseball over the past two years. At this point, "meh" is a vast improvement.

#23 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

I don't think signing Marcum would move the needle on attendance. But you are right the team has fundamental problems that have to be resolved and attendance will continue to drop.

#24 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,340 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

In nurse's defense, he's primarily who I had in mind when making that comment, so I'm guilty of baiting in that regard.

#25 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 5,263 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

I've given Ryan the benefit of the doubt on many things, mainly just taking a wait and see approach when it came to payroll spending, I actually am in favour of spending the money and believe it's the prudent thing to do, if only to increase the entertainment value for the fans.

Missing Baker for $6 million hurt but not the end of the world by any means.The Correia signing was a kick in the nuts, but still, however hopefully or naively, I was willing to wait. This however, if anywhere close to $10 million for one year is true, is utterly inexcusable and like a thick loogie to the face of any fan.

Marcum is nothing more than bland, middle of the rotation stuff on a good team, nothing to get to worked up about. But for a team so desperately in need of showing it's fans it actually gives a rat's ass about them, he represents an easy solution for that, and at one year does absolutely nothing to hinder anything. It's insulting.

#26 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

So what if one year deals are for "meh" players? The Twins had the worst pitching staff in baseball over the past two years. At this point, "meh" is a vast improvement.

They signed two of them and traded for another.

#27 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 11,530 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

I don't think signing Marcum would move the needle on attendance. But you are right the team has fundamental problems that have to be resolved and attendance will continue to drop.

Marcum makes the team better. A better team means more wins. More wins means better attendance.

And if the cause is so hopeless that there's no point in even trying, Willingham and Doumit should be playing somewhere else right now.

No matter how you look at it, Ryan has done a really bad job with the Major League roster this offseason.

#28 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 11,530 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

They signed two of them and traded for another.

They didn't sign two "meh" players. They signed one player whose shoulder is duct-taped to his torso and another guy who couldn't sniff mediocrity in the AL without divine intervention.

Totally acceptable moves if they're your 3rd, 4th, or 5th free agent acquisitions. But as your 1st and 2nd, they are abominable.

#29 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 5,263 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

I think we can all agree on the need for better pitching. I don't necessarily agree it was possible to buy much this offseason. All the guys who signed for 1 or 2 years are different shades of meh.

The others weren't coming barring a vast overpay.

This is true but most of the guys we have are different shades of Blech! One or two years to at least be marginally more competitive is something the team could have easliy afforded and there isn't much reason for them to have not done it.

#30 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

But there is a Major League franchise playing in Minnesota and the payroll is over $20m below what it was two years ago.

I'm with you...on your whole post, but I thought I'd point out it's even more than 20M below. We're about 32M below what payroll was 2 years ago. 112M in 2011.

#31 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

They didn't sign two "meh" players. They signed one player whose shoulder is duct-taped to his torso and another guy who couldn't sniff mediocrity in the AL without divine intervention.

Totally acceptable moves if they're your 3rd, 4th, or 5th free agent acquisitions. But as your 1st and 2nd, they are abominable.

funny

#32 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

I dont know about calling for heads but it damn sure calls for a good goddamn explanation. This excuse making BS just doesnt cut it.

#33 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

What if Marcum turns out to be great. The Twins could have resign him to be the ace long term, Now he is lost forever. You have to invest in a good pitcher when that is what you need so badly.

#34 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 11,530 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

I'm with you...on your whole post, but I thought I'd point out it's even more than 20M below. We're about 32M below what payroll was 2 years ago. 112M in 2011.

I give them a pass on 2011 because they said they were over their preferred budget mark in that season.

#35 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

I give them a pass on 2011 because they said they were over their preferred budget mark in that season.

Thanks for the clarification

#36 CDog

CDog

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

They signed one player whose shoulder is duct-taped to his torso ...

I hadn't realized this. It's great news, though! Duct tape fixes everything!

#37 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

I hadn't realized this. It's great news, though! Duct tape fixes everything!

amazing stuff, that duct tape...that and Simple Green. That stuff gets every damn stain out :-)

#38 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,340 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

Unfortunately for him the duct tape needs to be reapplied every couple of months.

Now Gorilla tape.....that stuff is amazing.

#39 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 5,263 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

What if Marcum turns out to be great. The Twins could have resign him to be the ace long term, Now he is lost forever. You have to invest in a good pitcher when that is what you need so badly.

I understand your overall point but let's keep thing a little bit in perspective, Marcum is no "Ace" and if one year turns out to be true, that 's hardly forever. Not that I believe they'll sign him next year if they have the opportunity mind you.

#40 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 9,536 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

Bummer. I had held out some small hope they would sign him.