Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Trevor Bauer to Dodgers

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,864 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 06:29 PM

Trevor Bauer 2021: 40mm

Also, 2021: 38.5mm
Nelson Cruz
Andrelton Simmons
Alex Colome
JA Happ
Hansel Robles
  • Cap'n Piranha and big dog like this

#22 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

St Paul Saints

• 2,050 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 07:37 PM

Do you really think the owners wouldn't agree to a structure whereby they must spend at least $120M, but no one could spend more than $170M, and then adjust those numbers annually based on revenue increase/decrease?

The real question is what are the owners willing to give up in order to implement a salary cap? I'm not sure why the players are to blame if owners are aren't willing to make an equally large concession. 

#23 old nurse

old nurse

• 4,147 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 08:18 PM

They also acquired Darvish......

The point the poster was trying to make was the Twins should not spend money and pocket it. 

San Diego

, LA.

It all must be one big freeway. In a week they will make you a star. 

#24 sorney

sorney

• 259 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 09:04 PM

You're right--they don't care about winning.They care about Winning (well, maybe not Cleveland.But that's what happens to a franchise when a Dolan is in charge).Baltimore and Pittsburgh could have signed Bauer, Realmuto, and traded for Lindor while giving him a $300M contract, and they would still not be serious contenders for a World Series title.

If you want to blame anyone, blame Houston.The Astros demonstrated you can tear everything down and not try to win for 3-5 years, spend almost nothing, and rebuild your organization, and then resume caring about both winning and Winning.Or blame the Rays, who have never had a payroll above $80M, are currently at $28M (less than half the league average), and yet are still a favorite to make the playoffs.

Or to be perfectly honest--blame the players.The players absolute refusal to agree to any kind of salary cap, whether individual or team, so long as it is paired with a salary floor, is why some teams can spend and others can't.Do you really think the owners wouldn't agree to a structure whereby they must spend at least $120M, but no one could spend more than $170M, and then adjust those numbers annually based on revenue increase/decrease?

Wait....blame the players?!?! They have a system in place where they get paid nothing for their training in MiLB, then, once they make the show, they are stuck with a team for 6 years before they get to actually go to a competitive market to shop their services...at which time they basically get 1 shot at a big contract....meanwhile, they are in a sport that had $10B in revenue. EVERY single owner can afford salaries...they choose not to.

• Mike Sixel, Twins33, adjacent and 1 other like this

#25 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• 2,474 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 09:15 PM

The Twins should be in the mid 150's, like the Padres. Too bad the Twins' front office took an Fox RSN deal worth half of what the Padres received. That extra $40 million would have been pretty, pretty, pretty nice!

No attendance revenue last year, and likely most of this year, coupled with your fact, means we are lucky thery have spent at all and not followed the tracks of Cleveland, Pittsburgh, etc.

#26 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,723 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 06 February 2021 - 07:16 AM

I have come to feel the same way about the Dodgers as I do about the Yankees.

It's not good for baseball to continue with a system that gives a small handful of teams an outsize spending advantage. The current revenue sharing/luxury tax system is not effective enough. The owners don't seem to grasp that individual teams are not free-standing entities. They need to look at MLB as a whole. For MLB to succeed it's necessary for each team to have approximately the same opportunity to succeed. This means more extensive revenue sharing. If each team had approximately the same wherewithal with which to operate there would be no need for salary caps or luxury taxes. Ultimately player salaries would become more equitable as well.

#27 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,612 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 05:18 PM

I've read speculation that Baltimore is tearing it down to the studs for an eventual relocation. Their stadium lease expires after this year, and they can't compete with the Nationals for the limited eyes and money in that region. 

Pittsburgh, and especially Cleveland, don't have much of an excuse to be that low in payroll. 

The Baltimore stadium is my favorite stadium whereI have attended a baseball game . I have not attended Target Field, but went to the Metro Dome several times in 87 and 88, when Mark Davidson was on the team.. 

#28 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,784 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 02:07 PM

Wait....blame the players?!?! They have a system in place where they get paid nothing for their training in MiLB, then, once they make the show, they are stuck with a team for 6 years before they get to actually go to a competitive market to shop their services...at which time they basically get 1 shot at a big contract....meanwhile, they are in a sport that had $10B in revenue. EVERY single owner can afford salaries...they choose not to.

Yeah, this is off.In 2020 the (normal) average MLB payroll was $158.9M, which equates out to $4.77 BILLION in player salaries, so pretty much 48%.This means that every team would average $175M to pay for all other expenses, including taxes.Obviously though, a number of teams aren't getting anywhere near $175M in excess revenue--they're probably not even close to $75M, and would still need to pay corporate taxes, all the coaches, all the team staff, stadium operating costs, draft picks, minor leaguers, and any investment in the organization, all before the owner even makes a dime.The Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, Cubs, and a few others have enough excess to pay the salaries at the top of the scale.15 to 20 organizations do not (unless they want to lose money, and again, why should owners lose money on something they're spending tens, if not hundreds of millions on annually).

• jkcarew likes this

#29 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,784 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 02:21 PM

The real question is what are the owners willing to give up in order to implement a salary cap? I'm not sure why the players are to blame if owners are aren't willing to make an equally large concession. 

I would imagine in return for cost certainty, and guaranteed profitability, the owners would be more than happy to increase the pay for all minor leaguers (say $25k for DSL, $50k for Rookie and A-, $100k for A+ and AA, and $150k for AAA).They would also, I'm sure, raise the salaries for pre-free agency major leaguers, knowing that they wouldn't have to pay more on the back end, what with team/player caps.They would probably also get rid of the service time system, and implement somthing along the lines of free agency falling after the season in which a player turns 27.They may even eliminate the qualifying offer.

• jkcarew likes this

#30 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

out to lunch

• 10,666 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 02:31 PM

I am confused...

He's getting $40M, $45M, and... $17M?

The drop off seems strange, or at least unusual, but given he has opt outs, he has a chance to change things if he wants to.

I actually hope he sticks around for the $17M season rather than opting out, as that means he found some place comfortable to stay and play, and the money is less important. Or rather i hope there isn't a corresponding decline in his talent.

#31 jkcarew

jkcarew

St Paul Saints

• 2,040 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 08:58 PM

I would imagine in return for cost certainty, and guaranteed profitability, the owners would be more than happy to increase the pay for all minor leaguers (say $25k for DSL, $50k for Rookie and A-, $100k for A+ and AA, and $150k for AAA).They would also, I'm sure, raise the salaries for pre-free agency major leaguers, knowing that they wouldn't have to pay more on the back end, what with team/player caps.They would probably also get rid of the service time system, and implement somthing along the lines of free agency falling after the season in which a player turns 27.They may even eliminate the qualifying offer.

This. The players calling the shots for the union have never prioritized MiLB...or young players...and have always prioritized and protected the unimpeded right of the veteran to be exposed to a free and completely unrestricted market. Hence, Trevor Bauer. A salary cap has been a non-starter for the union...forever...given nothing more than occasional diversionary lip-service. And the owners, as expected, have taken advantage everywhere else. It’s a powerful union...perhaps the most powerful in the history of this country. The needle moves when they look at their priorities differently.

#32 bobs

bobs

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 453 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 09:54 PM

An awful lot of money for a guy with a career ERA just over 4.00 before a 60-game 2020 season.

#33 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

St Paul Saints

• 2,050 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 05:32 PM

A dramatic increase in MiLB salary, a bump to the league minimum, ending pre arbitration, and hitting FA earlier would be a starting point. Of course an agreed up revenue split supersedes all of this. 

#34 sorney

sorney

• 259 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 07:22 PM

Yeah, this is off.In 2020 the (normal) average MLB payroll was $158.9M, which equates out to $4.77 BILLION in player salaries, so pretty much 48%.This means that every team would average $175M to pay for all other expenses, including taxes.Obviously though, a number of teams aren't getting anywhere near $175M in excess revenue--they're probably not even close to $75M, and would still need to pay corporate taxes, all the coaches, all the team staff, stadium operating costs, draft picks, minor leaguers, and any investment in the organization, all before the owner even makes a dime.The Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, Cubs, and a few others have enough excess to pay the salaries at the top of the scale.15 to 20 organizations do not (unless they want to lose money, and again, why should owners lose money on something they're spending tens, if not hundreds of millions on annually).

Sorry, I can't jump on the players are greedy train.Let's say the 48% is the correct number....isn't at least half the revenue going to the players a good thing?!?I mean, that's what we are watching, right, the players?And if it was such a tough business to run with margins so tight, you wouldn't have owners dropping $2.4B to acquire a team.

• Vanimal46 and Nine of twelve like this