Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Trevor Bauer to Dodgers

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Offseason Hawt Taek Enthusiast

• 14,119 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 February 2021 - 02:27 PM

3 years $102 million. $40 million year 1, $45 million year 2. Opt outs after each year.

#2 Dman

Dman

• 2,217 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 02:31 PM

3 years $102 million. $40 million year 1, $45 million year 2. Opt outs after each year.

That is crazy money and the Dodgers have a crazy good team.Looks like they don't want the Padres to catch them.

#3 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,274 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 02:39 PM

I wonder what it's like to root for a team that doesn't use money as an excuse.

It's a ridiculous amount of money and no way would I condone the Twins offering this but we're playing two different games here.

• Danchat, Otwins, jud6312 and 1 other like this

#4 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,938 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 02:58 PM

Huh. Just last week the most pro-owner poster here said the Dodgers don't use FA to get pitching.....and the Twins should be more like them........

edit: not that they can afford this exact number.....but that's not the point....

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#5 4twinsJA

4twinsJA

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 218 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 03:18 PM

This is what is wrong with MLB. There may be 3-4 teams that could sign a player to this amount of a contract. The financial playing field is not even close to being equal or fair.

• Danchat, spanman2, Otwins and 2 others like this

#6 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 14,119 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 February 2021 - 03:35 PM

This is what is wrong with MLB. There may be 3-4 teams that could sign a player to this amount of a contract. The financial playing field is not even close to being equal or fair.

I agree and hope it's addressed in the upcoming CBA. Whether that's through revenue sharing, salary cap/floor, whatever. Lots of things needs to be revamped for the future of the game. 

• KirbyDome89 likes this

#7 MNT1996

MNT1996

St Paul Saints

• 2,142 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 03:37 PM

Sure he had a great 2020 season and a couple good season for Cleveland prior to that, but I really don't think he is worth that much. I think there will be regression back to his career ERA of 3.90 and career 1.2 WHIP. 

• tarheeltwinsfan and SF Twins Fan like this

#8 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,784 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 03:42 PM

Huh. Just last week the most pro-owner poster here said the Dodgers don't use FA to get pitching.....and the Twins should be more like them........

edit: not that they can afford this exact number.....but that's not the point....

I didn't see the post, so I'm speculating here, but I'm guessing the point was that in the past two years, the Dodgers have had 9 pitchers make 10 or more starts for them (all other pitchers with at least 1 start combine for a total of 10 starts).Of those nine, eight started their career with the Dodgers, with Rich Hill being the exception.Five of them were drafted and developed, with the other three signing out of Japan, Korea, and Mexico (Ryu, Maeda, Urias), for a combined total of about $110M--each was then tied to the Dodgers for the first 6 years of their Major League Career.When taking into consideration Maeda's incentives, and the maximum possible arbitration raises for Urias, call it another $100M.

So the Dodgers would have paid, at most, ~$210M for 18 seasons of starting pitching, or not quite $12M per year.I think that's the point the poster was making--the Twins should strive to draft and develop, and then look to the international markets for their pitching.The Dodgers have won 8 straight titles, with only one true free agent splash on the pitching side (Greinke, who only pitched 3 years in LA), and it's because they have been great at getting pitching in other places.If the Twins could do the same, perhaps we wouldn't have to lament their inability to sign elite FA pitching quite so much.

• jkcarew likes this

#9 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• 2,272 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 03:44 PM

The Dodgers 3 highest-paid starting pitchers will make more than the total payroll of 12 clubs, and won't be far below the MLB-wide team average.

• Danchat, big dog, dbminn and 1 other like this

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#10 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

St Paul Saints

• 2,050 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 03:46 PM

I agree and hope it's addressed in the upcoming CBA. Whether that's through revenue sharing, salary cap/floor, whatever. Lots of things needs to be revamped for the future of the game. 

Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland all have payrolls that currently sit under the $40M mark that Bauer himself is set to earn this season. That's a problem.

• Danchat, DocBauer, SF Twins Fan and 1 other like this

#11 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,938 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 03:55 PM

I didn't see the post, so I'm speculating here, but I'm guessing the point was that in the past two years, the Dodgers have had 9 pitchers make 10 or more starts for them (all other pitchers with at least 1 start combine for a total of 10 starts).Of those nine, eight started their career with the Dodgers, with Rich Hill being the exception.Five of them were drafted and developed, with the other three signing out of Japan, Korea, and Mexico (Ryu, Maeda, Urias), for a combined total of about $110M--each was then tied to the Dodgers for the first 6 years of their Major League Career.When taking into consideration Maeda's incentives, and the maximum possible arbitration raises for Urias, call it another $100M.

So the Dodgers would have paid, at most, ~$210M for 18 seasons of starting pitching, or not quite $12M per year.I think that's the point the poster was making--the Twins should strive to draft and develop, and then look to the international markets for their pitching.The Dodgers have won 8 straight titles, with only one true free agent splash on the pitching side (Greinke, who only pitched 3 years in LA), and it's because they have been great at getting pitching in other places.If the Twins could do the same, perhaps we wouldn't have to lament their inability to sign elite FA pitching quite so much.

They also acquired Darvish......

The point the poster was trying to make was the Twins should not spend money and pocket it. 

#12 Brandon

Brandon

• 2,213 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 04:03 PM

40 million / 135million Twins team max payroll = 30% of our payroll would go to just Bauer.way too much for one player.

#13 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,938 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 04:14 PM

Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland all have payrolls that currently sit under the $40M mark that Bauer himself is set to earn this season. That's a problem.

It is.....those owners don't care about winning at this point.....which is, of course, their right.....

• dex8425 likes this

#14 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,784 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 04:15 PM

They also acquired Darvish......

The point the poster was trying to make was the Twins should not spend money and pocket it. 

I wasn't aware Darvish pitched for the Dodgers in 2019/2020.

I don't think any poster actually wants the Pohlads to pocket money.I think many posters understand that it's not ridiculous for people who spend well into the nine figures annually on an entity to want to make some money in the process, so no, I'm guessing that's not the point the poster was trying to make.The vilification of owners as greedy, selfish misers gleefully victimizing players and public alike is simply cartoonish, ridiculous, and laughably inaccurate.

#15 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,784 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 04:28 PM

It is.....those owners don't care about winning at this point.....which is, of course, their right.....

You're right--they don't care about winning.They care about Winning (well, maybe not Cleveland.But that's what happens to a franchise when a Dolan is in charge).Baltimore and Pittsburgh could have signed Bauer, Realmuto, and traded for Lindor while giving him a $300M contract, and they would still not be serious contenders for a World Series title.

If you want to blame anyone, blame Houston.The Astros demonstrated you can tear everything down and not try to win for 3-5 years, spend almost nothing, and rebuild your organization, and then resume caring about both winning and Winning.Or blame the Rays, who have never had a payroll above $80M, are currently at $28M (less than half the league average), and yet are still a favorite to make the playoffs.

Or to be perfectly honest--blame the players.The players absolute refusal to agree to any kind of salary cap, whether individual or team, so long as it is paired with a salary floor, is why some teams can spend and others can't.Do you really think the owners wouldn't agree to a structure whereby they must spend at least $120M, but no one could spend more than $170M, and then adjust those numbers annually based on revenue increase/decrease?

#16 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 14,119 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 February 2021 - 04:38 PM

I've read speculation that Baltimore is tearing it down to the studs for an eventual relocation. Their stadium lease expires after this year, and they can't compete with the Nationals for the limited eyes and money in that region. 

Pittsburgh, and especially Cleveland, don't have much of an excuse to be that low in payroll. 

#17 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• 2,272 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 04:50 PM

I've read speculation that Baltimore is tearing it down to the studs for an eventual relocation. Their stadium lease expires after this year, and they can't compete with the Nationals for the limited eyes and money in that region. 

Pittsburgh, and especially Cleveland, don't have much of an excuse to be that low in payroll. 

The Washington DC metro area is #6 in US population, Philadelphia (not far from Baltimore) is #8, and Baltimore is #21. 

In per capita income, DC is #1 by a mile (the difference between #1 and #2 is greater than the difference between #2 and #8), Philadelphia is #43, and Baltimore is #13.

So . . . no, not even close to being valid speculation.

Cleveland is #34 and #23, respectively, and Pittsburgh is #27 and #79.

Minneapolis is #16 and #7.

• Cap'n Piranha likes this

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#18 blindeke

blindeke

• 680 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 04:57 PM

That's nuts money. He's not that good... Max Kepler says hi!

#19 purplesoldier4u

purplesoldier4u

GCL Twins

• 26 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 04:57 PM

40 million / 135million Twins team max payroll = 30% of our payroll would go to just Bauer.way too much for one player.

The Twins should be in the mid 150's, like the Padres. Too bad the Twins' front office took an Fox RSN deal worth half of what the Padres received. That extra $40 million would have been pretty, pretty, pretty nice!

• Brandon likes this

#20 purplesoldier4u

purplesoldier4u

GCL Twins

• 26 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 04:59 PM

That's nuts money. He's not that good... Max Kepler says hi!

You're right! Even if I was to sign him, I would be looking for something around $25 million per season.

• blindeke likes this