Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

40 Man Roster

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,287 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 11 February 2021 - 06:15 PM

Joking aside, we have learned today that Waddell was the first off the 40. There is another reliever being added soon - who goes off the 40-man next?

Look back & be grateful, look ahead & be hopeful, look around & be helpful.

#22 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 5,303 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 11 February 2021 - 06:48 PM

"I’m excited about the starting group that we have for sure," Falvey said. "I feel like we have some good depth, some young guys coming, guys we’re excited about, guys we didn’t get a chance to see as much last year in addition to what we’ve been able to add. ... We’ll have some other conversations about other potential guys as well, and non-roster fits and others that will compete in that space, but I feel really good about our pitching right now."

So.....José Berríos, Kenta Maeda, Michael Pineda and J.A. Happ, ...... and Dobnak? Going with Dobnak? I guess that would make Dobnak the "development" prize from Falvey so far?

Jhoan Duran, Jordan Balazovic, Devin Smeltzer, Lewis Thorpe, Dakota Chalmers and Bailey Ober the depth? 

It just doesn't make me excited as I was hoping when comparing to other team's staffs that have eyes on the big prize.

#23 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 10,144 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 17 February 2021 - 07:24 PM

One more 40-man move will have to be made for Shoemaker. Who gets the axe this time? Garlick would make sense or else Gibaut.

#24 Shaitan

Shaitan

St Paul Saints

• 1,691 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 10:10 PM

One more 40-man move will have to be made for Shoemaker. Who gets the axe this time? Garlick would make sense or else Gibaut.

I haven't studied the current construction, but it's often a pitcher for a pitcher.

And last year the 40-man was very pitcher-heavy already, so it's hard to justify increasing that ratio of pitcher-to-position player.

#25 Otwins

Otwins

• 538 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 10:16 PM

Since Hamilton and Waddell cleared waivers and we were able to keep them I wager one over the internet dollar that it will be a Gibaut.

• nicksaviking likes this

#26 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 16,187 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 08:12 AM

Since Hamilton and Waddell cleared waivers and we were able to keep them I wager one over the internet dollar that it will be a Gibaut.

Gibaut was my bet last time, so I guess I'll keep riding with him as my pick.

But without having seeing any of those three pitch and solely relying on what's on the back of their baseball cards, it's hard to see how Gibaut and his high walk rates was kept over the other two. Maybe there's something sneaky about this guy that the FO is excited about tapping into.

I guess maybe his control was only an issue in his brief MLB stints and is seen as a bit of an outlier with his MiLB track record?

#27 Dman

Dman

• 2,089 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 08:59 AM

But without having seeing any of those three pitch and solely relying on what's on the back of their baseball cards, it's hard to see how Gibaut and his high walk rates was kept over the other two. Maybe there's something sneaky about this guy that the FO is excited about tapping into.

I guess maybe his control was only an issue in his brief MLB stints and is seen as a bit of an outlier with his MiLB track record?

Yeah I think they try to pass Garlic through. They honestly don't need another slow left fielder even if he is a righty.Nice for depth but not a need in my mind. 

Gibaut was with Tampa before being claimed by the Rangers so I am thinking the Twins don't think he will pass through waivers without Tampa grabbing him back.Scouting the stat line he was lights out at AAA in 2018.Fantastic K rate and WHIP, then in 2019 and 2020 it is like he suddenly lost control and was walking guys like crazy.If the Twins can fix him they might end up with an elite reliever on a waiver claim.That has to be the reason they are keeping him on the 40 man because he has looked pretty bad the last two years granted in a small sample size.

• Doctor Gast likes this

#28 Dodecahedron

Dodecahedron

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 183 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 09:57 AM

So.....José Berríos, Kenta Maeda, Michael Pineda and J.A. Happ, ...... and Dobnak? Going with Dobnak? I guess that would make Dobnak the "development" prize from Falvey so far?

If the Twins can win division crowns with #2/#3 starters like Carlos Silva, I'm not understanding the problem with #5 Dobnak. This doesn't even mention the division crowns the team won in that era with the always-changing rag-tag crew of #3s to #5s, who in retrospect probably should have been dressed in clown suits. It's not hard to see why those teams rolled over in the playoffs.

I share Falvey's enthusiasm for this pitching crew, including Dobnak. We all should. This pitching staff, if it remains healthy, is the best we have seen in a long time.

#29 Minfidel

Minfidel

• 71 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 02:00 PM

I don't think Marcus Peery exists, but if someone was added to the 40 man:It'd probably first be Gibaut, then Thorpe, Astudillo, Wade Jr, Waddell. Not sure where to put Gordon since he's only got one option left and has had problems getting on the field, but is the only backup SS on the 40 man.

I think Sidd FInch would be just the kind of reclamation project the Twins would be interested in. Would love to see what Wes Johnson could do for him. 

#30 Dman

Dman

• 2,089 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 09:02 AM

So it looks like you were right and I was wrong once again.They are sending Gibaut down so they must really like how Garlic fits to keep him on the 40 man.

#31 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 16,187 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 01:10 PM

So it looks like you were right and I was wrong once again.They are sending Gibaut down so they must really like how Garlic fits to keep him on the 40 man.

Well it may have had more to do with the fact that it worked the first two times passing relievers through waivers so they might as well roll the dice again.

Also, there still seems to be quiet a few signable relievers available, so any team looking to get a nibble from one of these guys may be less inclined to waste a 40-man spot:

Jesse Chavez (37)
Tyler Clippard (36)
Shane Greene (32)
Jeremy Jeffress (33)
Ian Kennedy (36)
Juan Nicasio (34)
Roberto Osuna (26)
Brad Peacock (33)
AJ Ramos (34)
David Robertson (36)
Ryan Tepera (33)
Tyler Thornburg (32)
Edinson Volquez (37)

Jose Alvarez (32)

Also starters like Trevor Cahill, Tyson Ross and Zack Godley who may be looking at a relief roll.

• Dman likes this

#32 Coobelz

Coobelz

GCL Twins

• 22 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 01:15 PM

Well it may have had more to do with the fact that it worked the first two times passing relievers through waivers so they might as well roll the dice again.

Also, there still seems to be quiet a few signable relievers available, so any team looking to get a nibble from one of these guys may be less inclined to waste a 40-man spot.

Jesse Chavez (37)
Tyler Clippard (36)
Shane Greene (32)
Jeremy Jeffress (33)
Ian Kennedy (36)
Juan Nicasio (34)
Roberto Osuna (26)
Brad Peacock (33)
AJ Ramos (34)
David Robertson (36)
Ryan Tepera (33)
Tyler Thornburg (32)
Edinson Volquez (37)
Jose Alvarez (32)

Also starters like Trevor Cahill, Tyson Ross and Zack Godley who may be looking at a relief roll.

#33 Coobelz

Coobelz

GCL Twins

• 22 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 01:21 PM

They’re doing a helluva job obtaining quality upside depth.,.Gibaut, Waddell and Hamilton all clearing waivers. St. Paul is gonna have a nice little pen this summer. I do agree with the above quote that one more quality reliever/SP would be nice to round things out.

Also, being mindful of character issues, Osuna on a Pineda like 2 year deal might be worth considering.

#34 Dman

Dman

• 2,089 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 02:01 PM

Also, there still seems to be quiet a few signable relievers available, so any team looking to get a nibble from one of these guys may be less inclined to waste a 40-man spot.

Jesse Chavez (37)
Tyler Clippard (36)
Shane Greene (32)
Jeremy Jeffress (33)
Ian Kennedy (36)
Juan Nicasio (34)
Roberto Osuna (26)
Brad Peacock (33)
AJ Ramos (34)
David Robertson (36)
Ryan Tepera (33)
Tyler Thornburg (32)
Edinson Volquez (37)

Jose Alvarez (32)

Do you think Garlic stays on the 40 man or will the Twins make another move?I guess they are a little short on quality outfielders at AAA so maybe making sure they hung onto him was the greater priority.

Maybe I am over thinking this stuff too much but I believe Tampa just traded with the Rangers for some pitching depth so maybe the Twins thought now was a good time try and get Gibaut through waivers but were more concerned Tampa might grab Garlic?Or do you think they honestly want to keep Garlic on the 40 man because they plan to use him during the season?

While I know the Twins don't have a ton of power righties ready to step in it seems a bit odd to think they want to carry another outfielder when there is a log jam in left field with Cave, Rooker, Arraez, eventually Kirilloff and Larnach.Is Garlic just Rooker injury insurance or do you think the Twins would platoon both of them against Lefties?Just not sure what the thinking is and like I said might be over thinking it but I am curious as to why they wanted to keep Garlic on the 40 man.

#35 KFEY93

KFEY93

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 175 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 03:58 PM

If the Twins can win division crowns with #2/#3 starters like Carlos Silva, I'm not understanding the problem with #5 Dobnak. This doesn't even mention the division crowns the team won in that era with the always-changing rag-tag crew of #3s to #5s, who in retrospect probably should have been dressed in clown suits. It's not hard to see why those teams rolled over in the playoffs.

I share Falvey's enthusiasm for this pitching crew, including Dobnak. We all should. This pitching staff, if it remains healthy, is the best we have seen in a long time.

Because winning divisions (poor ones at that) is not the end goal. Its winning play off games, series, and getting to and winning a WS. Thats why. 

• h2oface and jud6312 like this

#36 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Wichita Wind Surge

• 531 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 07:42 PM

Don’t forget the K. No - I’m not talking about strike-outs, I’m actually writing anyways. And I’m writing about spelling. It’s Kyle Garlick. Like he’s licking a fish.
  • ashbury and IndianaTwin like this

#37 Dman

Dman

• 2,089 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 09:10 PM

Don’t forget the K. No - I’m not talking about strike-outs, I’m actually writing anyways. And I’m writing about spelling. It’s Kyle Garlick. Like he’s licking a fish.

lol Thanks I totally messed that up.

#38 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,287 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 20 February 2021 - 10:12 AM

It’s Kyle Garlick. Like he’s licking a fish.

What's your advice for Kirilloff, who is frequently rendered incorrectly? :)

#39 Sielk

Sielk

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 206 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 10:27 AM

What's your advice for Kirilloff, who is frequently rendered incorrectly? :)

Maybe people just have to learn the correct spelling...

It never ceases to amaze me how many different and often rather creative misspellings of Kirilloff's name can be found around the internet. I wonder how many home runs he has to hit before people get his name right. If ever. ;)

• ashbury likes this

#40 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,287 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 20 February 2021 - 11:11 AM

Maybe people just have to learn the correct spelling...

deadpool.jpg

• Sielk likes this