Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

40 Man Roster

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Coobelz

Coobelz

GCL Twins

• 22 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 12:34 PM

Love yesterdays activity, and if reports are correct we may not be done.  With a full 40 man and assuming we sign a viable #5 or another pen arm, who do you think gets cut off the 40 man?  A very quick glance and I would think Marcus Peery, who we scooped on waivers from TB, might be first in line.

Thoughts? 

• Yargwin likes this

#2 Dman

Dman

• 2,069 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 01:28 PM

Have to believe it would Ian Gibault or Brandon Wadell as they are both unproven arms that with help could be good pickups or they also could be AAAA players hard to say at this point but I think it would be one or both of them depending on how things shake out. Twins 40 man

I think you would be hard pressed to give up on anyone else.Maybe Austudillo given they have Garver, Jeffers and Rortvedt on the 40 man and another in AAA who could fill in if necessary. I would say the light hitting Gordon as well but we do not have a dearth of middle infield help in the system so they might like him for utility role.Almost anyone else you would want to work a trade and not just cut.

#3 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,257 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 04 February 2021 - 01:48 PM

who do you think gets cut off the 40 man?  A very quick glance and I would think Marcus Peery, who we scooped on waivers from TB, might be first in line.

OK, I'll bite. This isn't some Bart Simpson pun like "Al Coholic" is it? Who is Marcus Peery?

• nicksaviking, Oldgoat_MN, Danchat and 2 others like this

Look back & be grateful, look ahead & be hopeful, look around & be helpful.

#4 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Wichita Wind Surge

• 772 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 04 February 2021 - 02:17 PM

I did a search on both MLB.com and MiLB.com for Marcus Peery and came up empty.
  • ashbury and nicksaviking like this

#5 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 16,170 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 02:29 PM

I did a search on both MLB.com and MiLB.com for Marcus Peery and came up empty.

Man, it really should be him that's removed then.

If Ol' Marcus is fortunate enough to keep his spot, I'd guess Astudillo if it's a bat, Gibaut if it's an arm. Gibaut looks more interesting than Waddell, but looking at Gibaut's numbers, it looks like it's going to take an adjustment for the ages to fix his control.

• ashbury and Dman like this

#6 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,257 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 04 February 2021 - 06:19 PM

Marcus Peery:

we-got-him-john-oliver.gif

• TopGunn#22 likes this

#7 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,982 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 06:30 PM

I don't think Marcus Peery exists, but if someone was added to the 40 man:It'd probably first be Gibaut, then Thorpe, Astudillo, Wade Jr, Waddell. Not sure where to put Gordon since he's only got one option left and has had problems getting on the field, but is the only backup SS on the 40 man.

#8 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,257 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 04 February 2021 - 07:05 PM

I don't think Marcus Peery exists

After some further searching I found this intriguing reference to him from a reputable site.

Man, it really should be him that's removed then.

You make a fair point. But the more I think about it, cutting him could be a mistake.

1. The man has literally zero chance of regression in 2021.
  2. Now that his name's been established, fans will defy Covid rules and flock to the park to satisfy their curiosity.
  3. Advance scouts will be mystified and have no book on him.
  4. The commissioner's office would never approve the DFA anyway.

I say hang onto Marcus. Cut Gibaut or Waddell if need be.

#9 Coobelz

Coobelz

GCL Twins

• 22 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 07:40 PM

Yikes had a name copied for work and used that bad error on my part. Wish I had a better excuse.
  • ashbury, Twins33, nicksaviking and 5 others like this

#10 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,257 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 05 February 2021 - 09:37 AM

Yikes had a name copied for work and used that bad error on my part. Wish I had a better excuse.

I hope you took the good-natured joshing in the spirit of fun in which it was offered. I also hope the real Marcus Peery runs across this thread, and wonders "what the WHAT?"

Now that the mystery of Marcus Peery's name is solved, who is the player we actually scooped from Tampa Bay? :)

• nicksaviking and VOMG like this

#11 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,696 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 11:29 AM

Once we get into spring training, you have to potential to 60-day disable someone (which you hope doesn't happen). 

What was most impressed was that the Front Office knew what roster spots they wished to fill with free agents, and have done so accordingly.

They also have the potential to do more things like the Wade trade. Cave would be a tradable commodity. Thorpe (and Smeltzer) can be tradable assets. Any of them, I would be more than happy to get back minor league depth of guys NOT necessary to 40-man, if it means can get a free agent, to, who will contribute today.

• Dman, Coobelz and Doctor Gast like this

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com

#12 Dman

Dman

• 2,069 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 12:07 PM

Once we get into spring training, you have to potential to 60-day disable someone (which you hope doesn't happen). 

What was most impressed was that the Front Office knew what roster spots they wished to fill with free agents, and have done so accordingly.

They also have the potential to do more things like the Wade trade. Cave would be a tradable commodity. Thorpe (and Smeltzer) can be tradable assets. Any of them, I would be more than happy to get back minor league depth of guys NOT necessary to 40-man, if it means can get a free agent, to, who will contribute today.

Yeah unless Cave has a really good year I think they try and trade him next after they put Larnach on the 40 man.Hopefully Celestino has a good year and he can back up Buxton next year.Rooker, Kirilloff and Larnach can be rotated in left and right maybe platoon Rooker with Kepler and that should be plenty of depth.The year after they will have to decide if they want to add Wallner so there is always going to be someone ready for the outfield or 1st base pretty much every year.I just don't think you want more than 6 outfielders on the 40 man though.

#13 old nurse

old nurse

• 4,121 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 12:27 PM

Red Peery should be available if they dig him up

• ashbury likes this

#14 Coobelz

Coobelz

GCL Twins

• 22 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 01:35 PM

I hope you took the good-natured joshing in the spirit of fun in which it was offered. I also hope the real Marcus Peery runs across this thread, and wonders "what the WHAT?"

Now that the mystery of Marcus Peery's name is solved, who is the player we actually scooped from Tampa Bay? :)

I did...well played all who joined. It appears my question was well timed as to who is next off the 40 man with the today’s addition of Ian Hamilton

#15 LewFordLives

LewFordLives

• 176 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 01:52 PM

They may not have to do anything for at least a few days...at least until Colome and Cruz are officially added. The way the hot stove has been heating up these past few days who knows what could happen during that time.

• Dman likes this

#16 Diesel

Diesel

Wichita Wind Surge

• 653 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 02:55 PM

With the Dodgers signing Bauer, I can see the Twins push for one of their younger arms and give up some prospects in return. Urias, Gonsolin, or May would be a hefty price, but there is no way Dodgers keep that many arms, especially given their value
  • LewFordLives and Doctor Gast like this

#17 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,257 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 05 February 2021 - 02:58 PM

Red Peery should be available if they dig him up

He was barely league-average, if that, last time he appeared in the majors. Big time regression candidate, IMO.

Stick with Marcus.

#18 Cornholio

Cornholio

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 61 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 03:00 PM

Cruz and Colome  aren’t officially announced yet.

#19 LewFordLives

LewFordLives

• 176 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 03:28 PM

With the Dodgers signing Bauer, I can see the Twins push for one of their younger arms and give up some prospects in return. Urias, Gonsolin, or May would be a hefty price, but there is no way Dodgers keep that many arms, especially given their value

Or they could pay someone to take David Price.

• Otwins likes this

#20 Otwins

Otwins

• 536 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 12:18 AM

I agree with Lew Ford. I think Price is available