Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Shorten Target Field Fences NOW

aaron hicks chris parmelee darin mastroianni justin morneau ryan doumit
  • Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 mnfanforlife

mnfanforlife

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

[COLOR=#3E3E3E]With our pitching looking well below par, we will need a fabulous defense to keep us competitive in 2013. But wait a minute, we are committed to starting a first-baseman in RF and we will keep our best DH in LF, so that our other DH can catch or play 1B.

?????????????????? How in the heck did we get into this mess?????????????????????

We still have Morneau because he was about as valuable as Francisco Liriano at the trade-deadline and on the market last off-season. If he had been dealt, Arcia would have a legit shot in RF instead of the joke we are sending out there everyday this coming year. Nothing like having a big, slow guy covering a third of that spacious outfield in Minnesota.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#3E3E3E]Oh wait...we have TWO big slow guys covering TWO-THIRDS of our outfield this year. But its ok, because we have a really good 4th outfielder that is ready to start for us. And if he doesn't work we have a rookie that has never hit .300 in a full season of minor league ball.
[/COLOR]
I will stop the sarcasm now.

[COLOR=#3E3E3E]Our pitching is going to suffer mightily as a result of this outfield defense. If we move the fences IN, we allow our big slow guys a chance to cover the decreased surface area. RIght?
Makes about as much sense as our roster for 2013.

[/COLOR]

#2 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

Yep, bring the fences in so rather than doubles the players hit home runs. Bring them in far enough so they can put seating in. Hardhats required.

#3 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Outfield defense is way down my list of priorities that need an upgrade.

Is Willingham-Mastro/Benson/Hicks-Parmelee a worse alignment than Young-Span-Cuddyer?

#4 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,788 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

Is Willingham-Mastro/Benson/Hicks-Parmelee a worse alignment than Young-Span-Cuddyer?

Nope....I'd rather have a glove swinging from a rope than Delmon..

#5 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

It would give them more room to add bars, you know to keep the fans drunk and unaware of the score

#6 mnfanforlife

mnfanforlife

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

Umm, how many outfielders are you bringing to Minnesota?? Are you starting Benson in CF??? And yes, having Parm and Willi (a 1B and a DH) covering 2/3 of the outfield is wayyy worse than Young/Span/Cuddyer.

#7 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,879 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

You tailor the team to fit the stadium, not the other way around.

#8 mnfanforlife

mnfanforlife

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

You tailor the team to fit the stadium, not the other way around.

Yessir, I was being quite sarcastic in my request to shorten the fences. How do you think the FO has done at tailoring this team to fit the stadium?

#9 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 609 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

You cannot have 2 DH's in your OF and hope not to get destroyed.

#10 BrentMpls

BrentMpls

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

I can't tell from your post if you are serious or not, but I would be against this change. Opposing teams have no trouble hitting it outta the park as is.

#11 mnfanforlife

mnfanforlife

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

You cannot have 2 DH's in your OF and hope not to get destroyed.

This is well articulated. I must say...quite refreshing and clear.

#12 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,879 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

Yessir, I was being quite sarcastic in my request to shorten the fences. How do you think the FO has done at tailoring this team to fit the stadium?

Horribly. The pitchers don't strike anyone out, have marginal groundball skills, and there's no defense behind them even if they did induce a groundball. As for the outfield, well... They're going to roam that OF like a bunch of drunks at Mardi Gras.

Chances are it's going to be a long season.

#13 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

Does anyone know whether there is a rule against moving the fences game-to-game? A home grounds crew might cut the grass shorter or leave it longer depending on the home and away player's ability to bunt, and hit ground balls... so would this be any different really? Not a suggestion, but just curious if there is rule?
Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

#14 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

The Twins haven't tailored a team to fit any stadium because they suck at everything but the minors is stacked with plus defenders in the OF.

#15 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

Do they Twins have a chance to play 500? Maybe if they had sign Bedard.
Astros signed LHP Erik Bedard to a minor league contract.

It's a nice low-risk move for the Astros, who could spin Bedard for a prospect at the trade deadline if he gets off to a decent start. The veteran lefty posted a 3.12 ERA over his first 10 outings in 2012 for the Pirates before falling apart. He was released by Pittsburgh in August.

#16 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

A joke in RF? You did see his results in extended playing time in AAA right? The kid just needs a legit shot. He was in the OF before moving to 1b. I think he will be ok out there, can't be much worse than Cuddyer or Young.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#17 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

Umm, how many outfielders are you bringing to Minnesota?? Are you starting Benson in CF??? And yes, having Parm and Willi (a 1B and a DH) covering 2/3 of the outfield is wayyy worse than Young/Span/Cuddyer.

Four outfielders. Pick one of the three I have in CF and then another bench outfielder.

And... Young and Cuddyer are a DH and a 1B, and we lived with that for two seasons at TF.

Edited by Boom Boom, 22 January 2013 - 09:28 AM.

#18 mnfanforlife

mnfanforlife

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

Four outfielders. Pick one of the three I have in CF and then another bench outfielder.

And... Young and Cuddyer are a DH and a 1B, and we lived with that for two seasons at TF.

Okay...i understand now. In my opinion...we start Benson in CF with Mastro being the 4th OF....I guess we have no choice but to start a 1B in RF this year.

Young is a DH for sure, But I thought Cuddyer was slightly above average defensively in RF. No?

#19 mnfanforlife

mnfanforlife

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

A joke in RF? You did see his results in extended playing time in AAA right? The kid just needs a legit shot. He was in the OF before moving to 1b. I think he will be ok out there, can't be much worse than Cuddyer or Young.

Parmelee is NO JOKE at the plate, but he has outgrown his potential to be a solid defensive outfielder.

#20 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

Okay...i understand now. In my opinion...we start Benson in CF with Mastro being the 4th OF....I guess we have no choice but to start a 1B in RF this year.

Young is a DH for sure, But I thought Cuddyer was slightly above average defensively in RF. No?

No, Cuddyer has pretty much always been a bad RF. We liked to talk up his throwing arm, but outside of that he was basically stationary out there.

That's not to say I think the 2013 outfield defense will be good. I'm more concerned about balls scooting through the infield or flying over the wall, though.

#21 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

A bad IF defense is hard to overcome and will cost you lots of games. A bad OF defense, at the major league level where everyone can catch pop flies, just doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

#22 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,762 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

At the farm, the Twins might have the most athletic outfielders in all of baseball. So do we move the fences back once Hicks, Benson, Buxton, Kepler, Roberts and Arcia are up?

Besides, RF isn't all that big and there is next to no foul territory. There probably should never be an arguement about bringing the fences in, especially to protect the poor defense that will be playing there for hopefully less than half a season. One could possible argue to lower the RF wall because it penalizes line drive hitters, but the dimensions should remain.

#23 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

Cuddyer had a good arm (that's it), but that "throwing arm" doesn't make any outs chasing fly-balls in the OF, and he was not "rangy" in the slightest. This equals a well below average OF.

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#24 SurroundedByTigers

SurroundedByTigers

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

I was an early advocate for moving in the fences at Target. Moving in the fences would force our pitchers and pitchers throughout the organization to become better at throwing strikes and keeping the ball down. Why were our pitchers better in the Dome? Because they threw strikes, kept the ball down, and the organization attempted to find people who could throw with some velocity. Sounds strange, but moving the fences in a little bit might on the surface make people think it would help the offense. But I believe it would force the organization to go back to the fundamentals, and that's getting better pitching and better defense, and those 2 factors keep you in games and in pennant races.

#25 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,115 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

A pitcher who no team was willing to give a major-league contract is the difference between making .500 or not for the Twins?

#26 LimestoneBaggy

LimestoneBaggy

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

Nope....I'd rather have a glove swinging from a rope than Delmon..

I may have gotten in trouble laughing out loud at work. I think it's about time to start a thread on things I'd rather have in left field than Delmon....and no, I don't care how long its been since he's been gone.

#27 mnfanforlife

mnfanforlife

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

It's a nice low-risk move for the Astros, who could spin Bedard for a prospect at the trade deadline if he gets off to a decent start. The veteran lefty posted a 3.12 ERA over his first 10 outings in 2012 for the Pirates before falling apart. He was released by Pittsburgh in August.

Yes, Bedard was worth a shot this spring training

#28 mnfanforlife

mnfanforlife

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

A bad IF defense is hard to overcome and will cost you lots of games. A bad OF defense, at the major league level where everyone can catch pop flies, just doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

Whoa now Chief, it will be more than just pop-ups heading towards the outfield in Minnesota.

#29 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,423 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

I'm not sure talking about anything swinging from a rope is appropriate.

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#30 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,324 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

I'm not sure talking about anything swinging from a rope is appropriate.

Soap?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aaron hicks, chris parmelee, darin mastroianni, justin morneau, ryan doumit