Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Could Dobnak be an All Star?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 24,491 posts

Posted 28 March 2021 - 02:25 PM

Dobnak signed a 5yr. Contract,

Well, didn’t see that coming.

Good for Randy.
  • Dman, DocBauer, wsnydes and 1 other like this

#42 Channing1964

Channing1964

Wichita Wind Surge

• 905 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 29 March 2021 - 01:47 AM

Absolutely he could....but so can Cave.

#43 Channing1964

Channing1964

Wichita Wind Surge

• 905 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 29 March 2021 - 01:48 AM

EXTEND THE CAVE MAN!

#44 WyoTwin

WyoTwin

GCL Twins

• 28 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 09:22 AM

I think he will have at least one all star appearance. He will start off strong at least one year.
  • Doctor Gast likes this

#45 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 16,356 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 01:53 PM

Kyle Hendricks seems to be the league's premier high-contact, low-strikeout sinkerballer at the moment. He's put up pretty good numbers for the better part of a decade despite the high contact and low strikeouts, but he's still never been an All Star.

• wabene likes this

#46 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

out to lunch

• 10,667 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 06:01 PM

Has a knuckle baller ever pitched in the all star game?

Just curious...

#47 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 24,491 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 08:36 AM

Just curious...

Oh, definitely. In just the past 15-20 years, a time when the knuckle was basically on its deathbed, Wakefield and Dickey were all stars.

#48 amjgt

amjgt

• 2,846 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 11:00 AM

I was skeptical that Wakefield had been an All Star, so I looked. Sure enough, he was an all star in 2009. His season-long stats didn't jump off the page, so I figured he had a really good first half. Nope. In fact, he barely played after the all star break.

ERA: mid 4s
K: 5.0K/9

WHIP: 1.44
ERA+: League Average

Record... yep. This is why. 11-3 in the first half

Tim freaking Wakefield... All Star. What a world.

• wabene likes this

#49 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

out to lunch

• 10,667 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 02:17 PM

Oh, definitely. In just the past 15-20 years, a time when the knuckle was basically on its deathbed, Wakefield and Dickey were all stars.

If asked to name knucklers in the 21st century, i woulda come up with those.

So yeah, i actually take Wakefield as my personal Dobnak comp, being perceived as a low ceiling workman-like pitcher. So now i definitely don't believe the allstar game is too great a stretch.

And my impression is Wakefield too had an interesting contract for a stretch: being a mutual perpetual option for the next season with the Red Sox at $1m. 

Dickey i knew had earned Ace status for a period after leaving the Twins, so not at all surprised he made the allstar game.

#50 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 2,307 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 06:53 PM

Just curious...

Didn’t look to see if they pitched, but Phil Niekro was picked five times, Hoyt Wilhelm four and Wilbur Wood three to name a few. 

• h2oface likes this

#51 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• 2,474 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 08:41 PM

I think a more realistic question is "Can Randy Dobnak be a reliable major league pitcher?"

• notoriousgod71 and wabene like this

#52 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 7,309 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 10:57 PM

Once in a while, I forget if I've commented on a post or not, lol. I guess I didn't as I ran through everything here and didn't see myself. (Unless I was self-blinded somehow). But I really enjoyed most posts. Very interesting stuff and perspectives.

The All Star game has always been a popularity contest. But it seems to me, years past, there was more immediate knowledge to the voters to make selections. I guess the saving grace the last decade or so is the staff and bench usuaĺly actually being deserving.

To the OP, can Dobnak be an All Star? Yes, based on his story and continued growth and experience. Deserving? Probably not. And I'm saying this as a fan of Dobber. He's shown in his short career...and bullet rise through the milb system...that the Twins may have a "decent" arm to work with. A guy with a floor as a 6th SP who could rise to 5th SP option with enough potential to MAYBE be a legit #4.

But you don't have to be a baseball savant to look at his new slider and how wicked it looks to realize/speculate just how good he MIGHT be with his control and GB tendancy combined with AT LEAST a few more K's. If he can maintain that new slider consistently, we are talking about a LEGITIMATE #3 SP. And that's crazy to think about, but so is his whole story. But the craziest part is, the Twins said, "try this". And he did. A few days later he used it and it was suddenly a potentially devastating pitch. Just days later! And I know the whole "ST doesn't matter" mantra. Except, he wasn't throwing it in just junk time. He was throwing it against ML hitters. Replay shows it as WICKED!

I refuse to annoit him to any level at this point. Proof comes over time. But that new pitch with the rest of his ability...how can you not be intrigued and excited about him at this point?

Just to re-interate, when have you EVER heard of a pitching coach/staff that suggested a change and a couple days later that pitcher just raked with that change? I mean, WOW, how do you describe or quantify how crazy that is? Only time will tell if he can harness that pitch with everything else he has. Much less how good he could be.

I will not predict so much growth and production to be an All Star and don't care.

But I dare say he will be amongst the top SP in GS and IP in 2021 unless health/luck blesses the Twins rotation in 2021. Because every rotation ALWAYS needs more than 5. I am also very optomistic that Thorpe is going to be important as the 7th SP and bullpen option for this season. With his head on straight and body ready to go, Thorpe is going to make a difference.

But I digress.

Dobber may never be anything more than #3 SP. He might take his new slider and become a #2 SP and dominate!

All Star? Wonderful idea. Dobber and his family would love the idea. Earning every $ of his new contract for a winning team the next several season's? Priceless!
  • Doctor Gast and Sielk like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#53 Dodecahedron

Dodecahedron

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 272 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 11:48 AM

It's not surprising people are skeptical of knuckleballers. There have been fewer than 90 pitchers who were strictly defined as "knuckleball pitchers" in MLB's ~120 years. There were only around 170 pitchers who used the pitch with any regularity. People can't get their minds around the idea. Stats-minded people can't explain it. Velocity gurus can't see anything good. Peripheral statistics, designed for standard hurlers, often do not show anything impressive. 

Sometimes you just gotta sit back and enjoy the results. In fact, I would say this is the #1 thing we should do for any player.

• glunn and Doctor Gast like this

#54 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 01:22 PM

I refuse to annoit him to any level at this point. Proof comes over time. But that new pitch with the rest of his ability...how can you not be intrigued and excited about him at this point?

I'm not disagreeing with anything you said here, just wanted to respond to the "Proof comes over time" comment, as I love Randy Dobnak and it was a personal crusade of mine to spew out the numbers showing just how consistent he had been in his rise to the majors, which was ridiculously so.

The final tally of the stat sequence I liked to throw out to show this, was the following:

Randy Dobnak, from the Midwest league all the way to the majors (may of 2018 through august of 2020), did not allow more than 4 runs in any game over a period 67 appearances.

In that time frame, he went 28-11 with 2 saves, a 2.06 ERA, .232 BAA, 1.06 WHIP, and 3.62:1 K/BB ratio over 324 innings pitched.

I know all of that is not the majors, where I agree proof could still be necessary, but that's a significant span of time to do something like that.

Count me in the category who thought Dobnak should have been handed a rotation spot before any free agent signings were made. He'll be in the rotation to stay before May is over, book it. And if that slider unlocks some strikeout potential, All-Star is certainly possible in the future.

(knocking on wood as I remember that Corey Kluber was never really a great prospect and didn't turn into a Cy Young pitcher until he had a few years of experience in the majors... with Derek Falvey running Cleveland's pitching development department...)

• glunn, Twins33, DocBauer and 3 others like this

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#55 LVTwinsfan

LVTwinsfan

The Unknown Comic

• 2,594 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 17 April 2021 - 05:42 PM

No

You know horses are smarter than people. You never heard of a horse going broke betting on people.  - Will Rogers

#56 rv78

rv78

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 345 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 09:10 PM

Was this article meant to be posted on April Fools Day?

#57 Aggies7

Aggies7

I have 1 warning point

• 12,596 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 17 April 2021 - 09:12 PM

So many things that didn’t age well on this thread

#58 BeatTheRich

BeatTheRich

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 145 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 17 April 2021 - 09:20 PM

Dobnak is a starter, not a reliever. Put Luis Arraez at catcher and see how he fares. Try Nelson Cruz as a centerfielder.

Dobnak established himself as a viable starting pitcher in spring training, only to get shunted to the back of the line on opening day.

Free Randy Dobnak. He deserves better.

• LA VIkes Fan and Doctor Gast like this

#59 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

St Paul Saints

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 18 April 2021 - 07:37 AM

In the Twins/ Angels season opener article, I stated that I didn't watch the game but by the results I thought that Dobnak was broken. I thought that because Donaldson was on the field, that he'd pull up the slack due to Simmons absence. As I watched the game video I saw that I was wrong. What I saw was Donaldson had dialed way down as not to provoke any leg problems. Therefore not making any easy routine plays which he had magnificently done in the past. I watched Donaldson look at grounders while Polanco makes valiant attempts.
My point is we can't count on Donaldson to take up the slack right now (although I hope that changes). I've changed my opinion that Dobnak is broken, our defense is broken and needs to be fixed. Dobnak had 4 SOs and did everything that was expected of him. He gave up grounders that should have been fielded.
There have been many ideal situations that Dobnak could've pitched while Simmons was on the field but didn't. Now that Simmons isn't on the field they've decided to use Dobnak, it doesn't make sense. So I don't blame Dobnak in the least. Although he's blamed, criticized and have these horrendous stats that many people like to base everything on.
  • BeatTheRich likes this