Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Could Dobnak be an All Star?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

St Paul Saints

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 27 January 2021 - 01:15 PM

Could Dobnak be an all star? With this terrific infield, I believe he could be. When Donaldson was in the line up Dobnak shined. Now that we have Simmons , Dobnak's stats & record will be very good because he's an excellent ground ball pitcher . Many aren't very excited about Dobnak, even as a 5th starter but I believe he'll surprise a lot of people

• Brandon, Dman, tarheeltwinsfan and 4 others like this

#2 jud6312

jud6312

St Paul Saints

• 1,810 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 01:27 PM

I'd say the chances of that happening are about the same as La Tortuga winning a batting title. 

I think he's got a role as a 5th starter/swing guy, but his splits last year got worse each month, which would tell me that teams were adapting to him after seeing more film on him or he was wearing out. Neither of those bode well for All Star chances.

• h2oface, jun, Vanimal46 and 6 others like this

#3 baul0010

baul0010

GCL Twins

• 38 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 02:14 PM

I'd say the chances of that happening are about the same as La Tortuga winning a batting title. 

I think he's got a role as a 5th starter/swing guy, but his splits last year got worse each month, which would tell me that teams were adapting to him after seeing more film on him or he was wearing out. Neither of those bode well for All Star chances.

Exactly what I was thinking.I'd be happy with serviceable again?All-Star seems like a ceiling that's a bit too high for Dobnak. 

• Danchat, Vanimal46, nmcowboy and 4 others like this

#4 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Wichita Wind Surge

• 531 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 03:00 PM

Do not dis The Dobnak.

• denarded, jimbo92107, Brandon and 3 others like this

#5 twins_89

twins_89

Wichita Wind Surge

• 565 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 03:17 PM

After his awful second half of last season I'll be happy if Dobnak can settle in as a competent 5th starter. At this point I am somewhat worried that the league figured out his unusual pitching profile. 

• jud6312, bighat, wabene and 1 other like this

#6 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

St Paul Saints

• 1,035 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 04:27 PM

I know that Dobnak doesn't have flashy stuff but what he does well is force grounders. When Donaldson is on the field his grounders normally don't go through. When he isn't they do, therefore Dobnak has to try to be cute & he's not good at that. So both Donaldson and Simmons are on the field, the ball isn't going to get through. So he doesn't have to try to be cute.
  • jimbo92107 and DocBauer like this

#7 baul0010

baul0010

GCL Twins

• 38 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 06:34 PM

I know that Dobnak doesn't have flashy stuff but what he does well is force grounders. When Donaldson is on the field his grounders normally don't go through. When he isn't they do, therefore Dobnak has to try to be cute & he's not good at that. So both Donaldson and Simmons are on the field, the ball isn't going to get through. So he doesn't have to try to be cute.

It didn't look like he was trying to be cute.The second half of last season it looked like he forgot how to throw strikes.He used to be slightly out of the zone and by the end of last year was missing the zone wildly.

• jud6312 and wabene like this

#8 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 5,472 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 27 January 2021 - 10:43 PM

Dobnak is fools gold, and spent already. If he is in the rotation, it will not be pretty.

• USAFChief, gunnarthor and jud6312 like this

#9 Wizard11

Wizard11

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 73 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 27 January 2021 - 11:44 PM

I like the Dobber as our 6th starter and durable long reliever.  Either way he is going to pitch some meaningful innings this year. The Twins will be a better team if they prioritize a 5th starter that can successfully get thru a major league lineup 2-3 times.  IMO this requires a higher strikeout skill set than the Dobber presents

• Twins33, tarheeltwinsfan, Vanimal46 and 3 others like this

#10 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

St Paul Saints

• 1,035 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 10:24 AM

It didn't look like he was trying to be cute. The second half of last season it looked like he forgot how to throw strikes. He used to be slightly out of the zone and by the end of last year was missing the zone wildly.

Let me clarify what I mean by cute. When Dobnak can't get ground outs he needs try to get SOs by going out of his groove and try to hit the corners ( Being cute). The problem is that Dobnak is a nobody. So he doesn't get the close ones, at the same time loses his groove and sometimes throws a little wild

#11 prouster

prouster

Wichita Wind Surge

• 813 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 07:36 AM

Could Dobnak be an all star? With this terrific infield, I believe he could be. When Donaldson was in the line up Dobnak shined. Now that we have Simmons , Dobnak's stats & record will be very good because he's an excellent ground ball pitcher . Many aren't very excited about Dobnak, even as a 5th starter but I believe he'll surprise a lot of people

I’d be really surprised if he made the All Star team, but you never know.

At the very least, the better infield defense should help him be a quality back end starter.
  • Doctor Gast likes this

#12 Dodecahedron

Dodecahedron

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 272 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 11:04 AM

I don't know if he could be an all-star (I view that as more of a popularity contest), but I think he is a good candidate to squeeze out a no-hitter over the course of his career.

• Doctor Gast likes this

#13 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

out to lunch

• 10,667 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 12:47 PM

I like this discussion.

Dobnak does stand to benefit from a better infield.

It may be a stretch, but All-Star results are not out of the the question, as it is playing to his strengths.

Likewise, La Tortuga has elite contact skills, which is an ingredient of a batting title contender. It is a stretch of a similar magnitude, but at least there's a chance.

Anyway, it'll be fun to see how the season plays out

• ScrapTheNickname, Brandon and Doctor Gast like this

#14 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 4,002 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 02 February 2021 - 01:26 PM

As others have said, I'd be happy if Dobnak can consistently give the Twins 5 innings and keep his ERA under 4.5 runs.

• LA VIkes Fan and jud6312 like this

#15 RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 226 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 04:45 PM

I think Dobnak can be a good 5th starter and will certainly benefit from the strong defense, but I don't see a lot of ceiling past that.He had a great stretch when he changed his pitch mix up and started using the slider as a weapon more but the league caught up to his new approach.

In the end I think he is a guy that is going to find the most success as a reliever so he doesn't get exposed 2nd and 3rd time through the lineup. 

• jud6312 likes this

#16 jud6312

jud6312

St Paul Saints

• 1,810 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 05:00 PM

I like this discussion.

Dobnak does stand to benefit from a better infield.

It may be a stretch, but All-Star results are not out of the the question, as it is playing to his strengths.

Likewise, La Tortuga has elite contact skills, which is an ingredient of a batting title contender. It is a stretch of a similar magnitude, but at least there's a chance.

Anyway, it'll be fun to see how the season plays out

My hope is he'll never get enough ABs to make us even think about it again.

#17 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

St Paul Saints

• 1,035 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 06:04 PM

I don't know if he could be an all-star (I view that as more of a popularity contest), but I think he is a good candidate to squeeze out a no-hitter over the course of his career.

Totally agree. All Stars Games is all political even if he does well, the odds he won't make. But wanted to draw attention for us to be surprised.

#18 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,730 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 06:24 PM

Well, if we now can field groundballs, then the Twins need to sign Brandon Kintzler as their closer. Dobnak is that nice arm to have in reserve. Is he a starter> Can he be a bullpen force? Right now, the Twins have him, Smeltzer and Thorpe battling for a roster spot with Thorpe in the lead because they can't option him out.

I wonder if the Twins wish they still had Wisler on the team.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com

#19 Fatbat

Fatbat

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 76 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 03:00 PM

If Dobber goes 12-6 with a sub 4 era... The twins will be a playoff team. Allstar in 2022 maybe🤷🏼‍♂️
  • Doctor Gast likes this

#20 Thegrin

Thegrin

• 1,177 posts
  • LocationRipon, CA

Posted 07 February 2021 - 03:45 PM

Do not dis da Tortisse! :)