Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Adrianza signing elsewhere?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,757 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 05:17 PM

Ehire Adrianza posted a Thank You message to the Twins and their fans on his Instagram page earlier today. Can't find any reports yet on who he may have signed with, but sure would look like he is heading to another team. 

"From the bottom of my heart - THANK YOU! For welcoming me with open arms, for the four unforgettable and amazing seasons. Thanks to my family for the unwavering and continuous support. I'm forever grateful for my teammates, coaches, trainers, TWINS FANS and the front office for the trust, support and opportunity provided since day one."

Adrianza was claimed by the Twins and had four really solid seasons as the team's utility infielder. A terrific defender, especially on the left sign of the infield, he even hit a little bit, certainly more than expected. 

• DocBauer, VOMG, AceWrigley and 3 others like this

#2 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 482 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 05:24 PM

I guess we're "aiming higher" for reserve middle infielder, or we're going with in-house options. I thought eye-ray did a nice job.

• TopGunn#22, Nine of twelve and CharlieDee like this

#3 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,546 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 23 January 2021 - 05:53 PM

I guess we're "aiming higher" for reserve middle infielder, or we're going with in-house options. I thought eye-ray did a nice job.

Ay-ray

• ashbury likes this

#4 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,546 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 23 January 2021 - 05:55 PM

He performed very well for a utility player. But, as with all players, his birthdate keeps getting further away from today's date. I think the Twins are best served to find a younger player to fill this role.

• TopGunn#22 likes this

#5 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 7,182 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 06:12 PM

His glove was very good to great at 2B/SS/3B. And while not an ideal fit, he learned to play a fine 1B as well. When pressed to the OF, he was at least OK out there. And except for 2020...and I'd think we almost dismiss it like a lot of players...his bat was solid and at least "complimentary". He was a far better hitter than the "traditional" utility infielder as we've known the position over the years.

I really thought he might be brought back for about $1M as an inexpensive 11th man for 2021. In other words, regardless of a high quality SS or 10th man addition, budget constraints might have kept the team from signing an even better 11th man option and he may have been a fine/OK re-sign to fill his old role.

There remains a number of high quality/versatile FA options to fill a 10th and even 11th man roles. Hernandez and Profar are gone, but what about LaStella, for example, and then the next best 11th man option who can cover SS.

Recent events are telling me three different and distinct things:

1] The Twins are indeed very serious about adding at SS with some move of Polanco or Adrianza to the 10th man role. If this is the case, there still are a number of quality options to bring on board for a versatile 11th man to increase depth and flexibility. Just as an example: Cabrera to play 1B/2B/3B and emergency SS behind Polanco. There are others, of course.

2] The Twins are committed and convinced Polanco will be healthy and fine at SS, and are looking for a 10th man who can play around the field and bring a decent bat and then bring in someone besides Adrianza who can cover SS. Once again, names like LaStella and Cabrera rise to prominence with someone...hopefully not some journeyman AAAA player...to replace Adrianza as the 11th man who can play a good SS.

3] Unexpectedly, considering rumors and opportunity, financial strings have the Twins remaining status quo across the infield with fingers crossed and the 10th and 11th man spots will be filled by inexpensive options like Marwin and player X.

I'm fine with either #1 or #2 options. Each option brings merit and opportunity for a deep and versatile infield that could be productive. Option #3 scares the hell out of me. Do we, as I suggested in a different thread, give Marwin a muligan for 2020 as we do for so many other players, and assume he would be the solid/dependable 2019 version of himself? And do we then also assume the FO is smart enough to bring on board at least another equivalent glove man as Adrianza has been?

Am I over-reacting to a glove first decent utility infielder being gone? Probably. Am I over-reacting to the likes of Hernandez and Profar being signed elsewhere and "rumors" of other infield targets being looked at by other teams? Maybe. But infield options can't be ignored and dismissed easily. And I have a lot of faith in the FO and fully appreciate their patient approach. But there are enough question marks regarding the infield that depth is a concern. And at some point moves have to be made.
  • Dman likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#6 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,566 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 06:30 PM

He was one of my favorite players. I enjoyed his good defense and he always hustled. He was an adequate switch hitter. I wish him all the best.

• Dman and Heiny like this

#7 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,909 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 06:52 PM

Too bad. Adrianza sure did look like a good choice as the 11th man. I am concerned that his leaving does limit our options a little bit since we will have to have at least a glove first SS on the bench is not a new starting shortstop. I’m thinking that his leaving strongly suggests that the Twins seriously considering one of the free agent SS, with the consequent shuffle of Polanco to second base and Arraez to the utility role or vice versa. The injury issues regarding those two may be whats really prompting this move.
  • TopGunn#22, Dman and DocBauer like this

#8 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,909 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 08:05 PM

I figure we have roughly 25m in remaining payroll space. Gets us to roughly 120m. I’d like to see the Twins trade for James Taillon from Pittsburgh (2.5m), sign one of the FA SS (my preferences Semien (12-15m) or Simmons 7-8m), and either sign Cruz/Osuna (15m) or spend that $ on one or two quality bullpen arms, maybe Hand or Rosenthal (8-10m), and Soria (5m). For Tallion, Cave plus an MiLB guy not from our top 10, plus one A ball lottery ticket.
  • TopGunn#22 likes this

#9 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Wichita Wind Surge

• 862 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 24 January 2021 - 07:57 AM

I had hoped that FO would bring him back. I believe we need him more than Gonzalez. Adrianza is better at SS and cheaper. I hope that they aren't abandoning the upgrading at SS. Polanco is an all star but I think he makes a much better Brian Dozier than a Javy Baez.
I've advocated an upgrade last year (up grade at SS, Polanco at 2B, Arraez at 1B & keep Sano at 3B) . To me he seemed over stretched at SS, going down hill after the All Star game and pulling up with sore ankles. His production is still dropping and still has sore ankles. IMO we'll regret it if we continue to limp around w/ Polanco at SS , sometimes if you over stretch something it never comes back. We have some options at SS, we need to take advantage of. I`d rather have many years of Polanco as an all star 2B than a few years of trying to get by at SS

My suggestion at SS is Adrianza as sub, Polanco at 2B & Baez as SS.
Reasons for Baez

#1) Cubs are very motivated to trim salary & retool
#2) Baez trade value is low due to last year of arbitrations & had a poor year at the plate. (should take a couple of lower expendable prospects)
#3) Baez's. kinship to Berrios. This would produce great camaraderie which could favor to the club house atmosphere & extensions of both Berrios & Baez. I'm in favor of extending Baez because his extraordinary talent & our lack of depth there

We need FO to step up, be persistent & creative ( go to a 3rd party if we don't have exactly what the Cubs want) to not miss out on this opportunity.
  • TopGunn#22 likes this

#10 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,269 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 08:15 AM

I'd rather have Adrianza than Marwin to be honest.

• nicksaviking, Otwins and Dodecahedron like this

#11 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Wichita Wind Surge

• 862 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 24 January 2021 - 08:39 AM

Getting back to the original statement. I don't think that Adrianza hasn't gotten any offers. I believe that's the problem. He's been hoping to return to the Twins but hasn't been called from FO while hearing that Gonzalez was contacted. I believe he's given up hope of returning. Which is too bad.

#12 Dodecahedron

Dodecahedron

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 181 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 10:30 AM

He performed very well for a utility player. But, as with all players, his birthdate keeps getting further away from today's date. I think the Twins are best served to find a younger player to fill this role.

Won't it be Marwin though?

#13 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 16,176 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 11:15 AM

They need someone to play SS, even if Polanco keeps the starting gig. So yeah, I agree, Adrianza makes more sense even if only be default.

#14 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 24,166 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 01:55 PM

Without a doubt but my first choice would be to send both packing.

Nothing against Adrianza, he was pretty good in the role while with the Twins, but it's probably time to move on from both him and (definitely) Marwin.

#15 LewFordLives

LewFordLives

• 177 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 03:39 PM

https://www.mlbtrade...s-contract.html

Looks like it's the Braves on a minor league deal.

#16 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,757 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 04:48 PM

yup, minor league deal with the Braves. He'll make $1.5 million in the big leagues. 

#17 Eris

Eris

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 255 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 07:10 PM

I think this is Nick Gordon’s last option year. Just guessing that Gordon will be given every opportunity to show that he can contribute. Given the offensive performance of Gonzalez and Adrianza last year, that part of the bar is quite low. I don’t know about his positional flexibility beyond SS and 2B.