Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Feinsand: Twins Interested in Marwin Reunion

marwin gonzalez
  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,379 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 07:49 PM

The Twins reportedly have expressed interest in re-signing free agent utilityman Marwin Gonzalez. MLB.com's Mark Feinsand shares the report and co-credits Twins beat writer Doh Young Park on the scoop:

Ugh.

• Danchat and wabene like this

#2 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• 1,122 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 09:02 PM

Ugh is right. Please........no........

• CTTwin likes this

#3 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 16,176 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 09:17 PM

Of all the reunions the team could do, this one makes the least amount of sense. He can't play SS, Adrianza is also gone and they seem to have indicated they know the team would be better if Polanco didn't have the gig full time.

But I think at this point of the off season, Gonzalez is quite possibly only in line for one of those two-way MiLB deals. Even if he does end up getting a better offer than that, it's closing in on February, the Twins would probably be foolish if they didn't at least let him know they'd be interested in a non-guaranteed deal with a spring training invite.

• Twins33, Dman and DocBauer like this

#4 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 7,182 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 09:17 PM

Nick I'm going to see your "ugh" and raise you an "ugh"!

The Twins have a big decision to make and that is trusting in Polanco and his ankle and adding a nice 10th man option, along with a solid 11th man option...OR...signing one of the THREE quality FA SS available and shuffling Polanco/Adrianza to the 10th man role. And this decision is as big as Cruz vs ?, or another SP. But a decision needs to be made!

All 3 FA SS intrigue me for different reasons. All 3 upgrade the roster. They just bring different things to the table. And if you make that move, there are STILL a number of very interesting options just sitting out there to be added as an 11th man option on the cheap. For example, once again, Cabrera, Gyorko, Frazier, Miller, etc.

They trust Polanco's ankle? Then grab Hernandez, Profar or LaStella as a 10th man and you can STILL grab a nice 11th man like I just listed. Personally, I like Profar's OK defense but better offense than Hernandez.

As far as Marwin goes..and I'm not trying to put lipstick on a pig here...i thought his defense was still fine in 2020. His bat in 2019 wasn't quite was hoped for but was solid. But while his 2020 bat was nothing but atrocious, how can we dismiss 2020 for so many players, not just on the Twins, and not give him at least SOME benefit of the doubt as well?

NOT my choice, but I'm just saying.
  • ScrapTheNickname and Dman like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#5 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,269 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 09:32 PM

At least it's rumors that we have a GM.

#6 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,280 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 20 January 2021 - 10:00 AM

Marwin's pretty close to AAAA caliber by this point.

• nicksaviking and Danchat like this

Look back & be grateful, look ahead & be hopeful, look around & be helpful.

#7 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 24,166 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 10:23 AM

No thanks.

#8 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 16,176 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 10:41 AM

Marwin's pretty close to AAAA caliber by this point.

I have to think the Twins know that though too. 

Don't you think the Twins would only be poking around to let him know they'd give him a spot on the St. Paul taxi squad. This year's Ronald Torreyes or Gregorio Petit?

#9 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,280 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 20 January 2021 - 11:38 AM

I have to think the Twins know that though too. 

Don't you think the Twins would only be poking around to let him know they'd give him a spot on the St. Paul taxi squad. This year's Ronald Torreyes or Gregorio Petit?

If he's nowhere on the 40-man on Opening Day then it probably doesn't matter. That isn't how I interpret a hot-stove rumor using the word "reunion", though.

#10 4twinsJA

4twinsJA

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 198 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 11:40 AM

Better get Cave and Wade signed to long term contracts before Twins lose them.

#11 mudcat14

mudcat14

• 558 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 07:03 PM

I'd much rather re-sign Adrianza at a fraction of the cost of Marwin.  

• ashbury, Shaitan and wabene like this

"Hey!You F**ked Up.You trusted us." - Otter to Flounder in 'Animal House'

#12 jud6312

jud6312

St Paul Saints

• 1,803 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 07:14 PM

Is this to make anyone else they bring in look good by comparison?

#13 yeahyabetcha

yeahyabetcha

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 73 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 06:11 AM

I don’t quite understand the venom towards Marwin on this site. I get 2020 was a down year and maybe he is cooked, but before that was pretty decent as a super utility guy. Keke had a down 2020 as well and probably not the career Marwin has had, but yet it seems most are all in favor of signing him.

#14 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,280 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 22 January 2021 - 09:32 AM

They went out and signed Happ for the rotation without rumors slipping out. Then for the utility slot on the roster, there needs to be hints handed out that the team has "interest" in a player? If they are interested, just sign him!

#15 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Wichita Wind Surge

• 758 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 10:57 AM

I want a fantastic defensive shortstop signed. Big need. Whether its a no bat guy that starts half our games, or a guy we plug in there and move Polanco and Adrianza around. Whatever, but the SS defense must be better.

#16 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 16,176 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:41 AM

They went out and signed Happ for the rotation without rumors slipping out. Then for the utility slot on the roster, there needs to be hints handed out that the team has "interest" in a player? If they are interested, just sign him!

Maybe it was a goodwill gesture for Marwin; see if they can help drum up some interest for him.

Or the opposite, Marwin's people leaked and embellished it to drum up interest?

Whatever the situation, a MLB deal doesn't make much sense. I'll be critical if that happens, otherwise I'm just going to assume this is white noise that stands out only because the room has been so quite.

• ashbury likes this

#17 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 16,176 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:52 AM

I want a fantastic defensive shortstop signed. Big need. Whether its a no bat guy that starts half our games, or a guy we plug in there and move Polanco and Adrianza around. Whatever, but the SS defense must be better.

People seem to like the idea of a offensively challenged player who fills a defensive need, but everyone grows tired of that in short order. I mean, this is the Marwin Gonzalez thread. His bat was never all that great but he could play all over the field so most folks were happy about the signing. When his bat went cold people fell out of love with him quick.

Just like Jason Castro, Joe Mauer, Aaron Hicks or Pedro Florimon. Plus defense never ends up keeping the mob at bay when your bat doesn't produce.

#18 Shaitan

Shaitan

St Paul Saints

• 1,684 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 01:27 PM

I'd rather they move on, but I do think they need an insurance plan with Donaldson. 

Marwin has started a lot of games at 3B the past two seasons -- different scenarios each season, but an indication of why these role players are so important.

I don't see an obvious candidate on the current roster to play 30-60 games at 3B if needed.

• yeahyabetcha likes this

#19 LewFordLives

LewFordLives

• 177 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 01:33 PM

IF...this is true, then I start to wonder if maybe the front office has some hard payroll limitations this year. If you need a super utility guy for cheap, then Marwin is as good as anyone. I was hoping that maybe they would set their sights a little higher.Whoever the utility guy is, he will get significant playing time.

#20 twinfan

twinfan

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 205 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 04:55 PM

I have no problem with a return of Marwin because he can play multiple positions. He should do better offensively in 2021 than last year. Maybe a .244/.302/.433 slash line for 85 games as a fill-in and pinch hitter.

• yeahyabetcha likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: marwin gonzalez