Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Toby Gardenhire will manage AAA St. Paul Saints

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,552 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 18 January 2021 - 07:52 PM

I'm surprised no one has posted this in this forum already. Here's the story from Phil Miller of the Strib.

https://www.startrib...ints/600012179/

#2 Out State Twin

Out State Twin

GCL Twins

• 34 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 08:12 PM

We thought he retired before the end of the season last year.

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,760 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 09:24 PM

It's been known... Charley Walters tweeted a "little birdie" thing after the St. Paul announcement in December, but again, it is no surprise. We'll be covering the press conference tomorrow. 

He was set to manage at Rochester last year.

He played a prominent coaching role in 2020.

He's a really good manager. 

#4 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• 2,937 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 02:53 AM

What's going on that so many sons of coaches get so many coaching jobs? Son of Saunders, Son of Pitino, Son of Gardenire. (I'm looking them up now.) Eric Mussleman, Kyle Shanahan, Chris Collins, etc. To me it's disturbing. Being "the son of" puts you in the right place at the right time while it excludes other talent that is standing outside the door and can't get in. That said, Toby Gardenhire might be a great manager, I wouldn't know. 

#5 Bill Tanner

Bill Tanner

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 55 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 08:07 AM

What's going on that so many sons of coaches get so many coaching jobs? Son of Saunders, Son of Pitino, Son of Gardenire. (I'm looking them up now.) Eric Mussleman, Kyle Shanahan, Chris Collins, etc. To me it's disturbing. Being "the son of" puts you in the right place at the right time while it excludes other talent that is standing outside the door and can't get in. That said, Toby Gardenhire might be a great manager, I wouldn't know. 

You would have sons of coaches excluded instead?  Your post assumes the applicants are all equally qualified, and that sons are chosen due to family connections.  Isn't it possible that these sons have been immersed in the game as a result of being around their manager/coach father, and as a result, are more qualified than other applicants?

• rdehring likes this

#6 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• 2,937 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 11:42 AM

You would have sons of coaches excluded instead?  Your post assumes the applicants are all equally qualified, and that sons are chosen due to family connections.  Isn't it possible that these sons have been immersed in the game as a result of being around their manager/coach father, and as a result, are more qualified than other applicants?

It's not impossible that what you say is partly true.

• ashbury likes this

#7 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 16,187 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 12:45 PM

I absolutely think having a parent as a coach/manager would give the son or daughter an advantage.

I don't know if that advantage should translate to such a large number of hires though. It does seem to be a thing more prone to happen to Minnesota sports teams. "Old Boys Club", or "Keeping in the Family", whatever you want to call it, I'm not sure I like the insularity that comes with it.

Following the Vikings, it will be interesting to see if the team promotes Gary Kubiak's kid to offensive coordinator now that dad is retiring.

• ScrapTheNickname and h2oface like this

#8 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,293 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 19 January 2021 - 04:55 PM

It's not impossible that what you say is partly true.

I tried to click only part of a Like to this post, but the site software makes it impossible.

• ScrapTheNickname and h2oface like this

Look back & be grateful, look ahead & be hopeful, look around & be helpful.

#9 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• 2,937 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 05:37 PM

I tried to click only part of a Like to this post, but the site software makes it impossible.

Well, I completely liked your post.

• ashbury and nicksaviking like this

#10 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 5,306 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 19 January 2021 - 06:28 PM

....Your post assumes the applicants are all equally qualified, and that sons are chosen due to family connections......

It might be possible that your post is assuming the assuming, and that the inference was clear to begin with without assumption.....

• ScrapTheNickname likes this