Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Pitchers and Catchers Report Date?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Wichita Wind Surge

• 527 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 12:47 PM

What is the current status of Spring Training, and the start of the season? Is there a schedule?

#2 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 2,181 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 04:57 PM

My understanding is that teams have been told to plan for their regular mid-February report dates, with ST games starting later in the month. Opening day in Milwaukee is still set for April 1. 

https://www.mlb.com/...chedule/2021-04

An earlier report said that teams at AA and below wouldn't report until MLB and AAA have left the training facilities for the beginning of the season, but I've not seen confirmation of that. Though major league schedules are posted, it doesn't like minor league schedules are listed. 

#3 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Wichita Wind Surge

• 527 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 05:22 PM

Thanks. By April 1, many of the older fans and frontline workers should be fully vaccinated. Hopefully, a V-Card (for vaccination) should get them inside.

#4 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,257 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 16 January 2021 - 06:22 PM

Hopefully, a V-Card (for vaccination) should get them inside.

Has anyone in an official capacity spoken in these terms? Being vaccinated doesn't mean you can't still be a carrier.

• SQUIRREL, adjacent, Major League Ready and 3 others like this

Look back & be grateful, look ahead & be hopeful, look around & be helpful.

#5 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 2,181 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 08:35 AM

Has anyone in an official capacity spoken in these terms? Being vaccinated doesn't mean you can't still be a carrier.

Yeah, it's hard to believe that even with vaccinations, there won't be some sort of limits on attendance for the first month or two. 

Adding, from rotoworld.com: 

According to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, the Rays are planning to open the 2021 season with a limited number of fans attending games at Tropicana Field.
The defending American League champions could be one of the few teams allowing fans in attendance when they host the division-rival Yankees for their 2021 regular season home opener on April 9. Per Topkin, seating will be limited to around 7,000 per game, with fans required to wear masks and sit in small pods distanced from other groups. According to a league memo distributed last week, teams are not required to have negative COVID-19 tests, proof of vaccines or temperature checks for fans attending games, but are requiring masks be worn, except when eating or drinking, or if they have a medical condition. Fan attendance will be subject to permission from Major League Baseball and local authorities this spring and could change if there is a significant uptick in cases amidst the ongoing global pandemic.

Further adding, from IT Snark Dept.: So 7,000 fans in Tampa. In other words, about normal. 

• PDX Twin likes this

#6 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,657 posts
  • LocationFrostbite Falls, MN

Posted 17 January 2021 - 08:48 AM

Yeah, it's hard to believe that even with vaccinations, there won't be some sort of limits on attendance for the first month or two.

The players may not even be able to be vaccinated by then, so that may also be a factor, too. We will just have to wait for announcements from the team.
  • IndianaTwin likes this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#7 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Wichita Wind Surge

• 527 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 09:31 AM

So now we will continue to shut down because of worries over asymptomatic, vaccinated persons infecting and killing other vaccinated persons (vaxxed with a 95% effective vaccine). I suspect that probability is very minimal. Open the gates and let the V-card holders in. Somewhere, there are depressed baseball fans who will live as a result. Continued lock-downs and continuing the culture of fear increases the risk from suicide, reduced cancer screenings, unchecked at-home binge drinking etc. Open the gates in April, and at least let the vaccinated in. Play Ball.

#8 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,657 posts
  • LocationFrostbite Falls, MN

Posted 17 January 2021 - 11:11 AM

So now we will continue to shut down because of worries over asymptomatic, vaccinated persons infecting and killing other vaccinated persons (vaxxed with a 95% effective vaccine). I suspect that probability is very minimal. Open the gates and let the V-card holders in. Somewhere, there are depressed baseball fans who will live as a result. Continued lock-downs and continuing the culture of fear increases the risk from suicide, reduced cancer screenings, unchecked at-home binge drinking etc. Open the gates in April, and at least let the vaccinated in. Play Ball.

Okay ... let's not go down the broader road here discussing whether or not those vaccinated can still infect an unvaccinated person. There isn't enough data yet to support that one way or another and going with our individual speculations on that isn't a productive discussion. But ... I get the missing baseball part ... I have been to ST every year since 2001, and a handful of others before then since they started training in Fort Myers. I was lucky to be down there last February, you know, before, and got to see some practice and one game. And I would hate to miss this year. However, if the players are unable to get vaccinated by then, and that is a likelihood, their health and safety would need to come first. And I want a season to be played and don't want it shut down. If access is denied or limited, I'll deal with it, but I don't want the play itself shut down. Perhaps they'll figure out the logistics that serves the best outcome for all involved - players, staff, spectators; maybe vaccinated only will be allowed and only through a certain gate, and not near players warming up in the fields outside the stadium, and seated in the upper areas only. Not sure yet what will be. I get the impatience, though.

• nicksaviking likes this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#9 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Wichita Wind Surge

• 527 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 12:14 PM

The vaccinated will be in the stands with other vaccinated people. They will not be congregating with the players. The economic, sociological and health (suicide) risks from continuing to shut down MLB and the rest of the world outweigh the risk of the vaxxed infecting the vaxxed. Those who have yet to be vaxxed need to know there is indeed a light at the end of the tunnel. Getting vaxxed must get us out of that tunnel, or there will be permanent despair (including baseball despair!).

#10 REPETE

REPETE

• 188 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 12:16 PM

I concur with this, especially the unchecked at-home binge drinking.Open the ballparks, so our binge-drinking is held in check, limited to 6 1/2 innings!

#11 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Wichita Wind Surge

• 527 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 12:33 PM

Actually, I won’t buy a beer until the 4th inning. I’ve missed too many great plays in the rest room. Also this reduces the expense of seeing a ballgame (usually one or no beers).

#12 Teflon

Teflon

"That" Guy

• 619 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 12:40 PM

Makes sense that the first team stating they will admit fans is the only one playing in a sealed enclosure. 

• ashbury and BeatTheRich like this

#13 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,257 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 18 January 2021 - 12:58 PM

Makes sense that the first team stating they will admit fans is the only one playing in a sealed enclosure. 

Should help keep the germs out.

Look back & be grateful, look ahead & be hopeful, look around & be helpful.

#14 umterp23

umterp23

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 68 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 02:59 PM

Limited fans not only for spring training but regular season isn't a tough decision.  Outdoor sport, stadiums spacious and you can very easily set up pod seating through the stadium.  Whether you are vaccinated or not shouldn't matter.  Chiefs/Browns game yesterday had almost 17K fans in the stadium and spaced out fairly well from what I could tell from broadcast.  Players aren't going to interact with fans and you could eliminate the first few rows all the way around the fence line to keep people distant from field.  Vaccination isn't bullet proof and some folks won't do take it for personal/religious type reasons.  

#15 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 16,170 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 04:26 PM

Adding, from rotoworld.com: 

According to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, the Rays are planning to open the 2021 season with a limited number of fans attending games at Tropicana Field.

Well that's a given.

But what does Tampa's poor attendance have to do with Covid?

• IndianaTwin and PDX Twin like this

#16 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• 2,716 posts
  • LocationSilver Bay, Minnesota

Posted 19 January 2021 - 10:47 PM

Having been to spring training for the last 31 years, it looks as though I'll miss this one.Good thing the winter has been mild so far in Northern Minn.I've been trying to keep up with plans for the spring and what I do know is that some fans will be allowed to some games.I don't attend many games though I'm there every day.Season ticket holders will get first crack at tickets.The practice fields are off limits though so no interaction with the players.My friend is down there getting balls hit over the fences now by those working out.A couple of friends who work in the stadium have been told they'll be working.

It's a shame about TK's son.RIP Tom Kelly Jr.

• NoCryingInBaseball likes this

he gone!

#17 theBOMisthebomb

theBOMisthebomb

St Paul Saints

• 1,001 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 06:52 AM

I have an issue with the 'let the vaccinated in the stadium to start' comments. Being as far down on the priority list as possible and the slow start to the vaccinations here in Minnesota has me thinking maybe I won't get vaccinated until after summer is done and I might have to miss another season of action at Target Field. This does not please me.

#18 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• 1,031 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 08:51 AM

Still too early to assess what the Virus risks will be in the future.

Looks like we have peaked the Second Wave, gotten through the holiday surge and are about to ramp up vaccinations --- finally.

If the transmission rate drops into a manageable quartile, test positivity is under control in most areas, and new studies show high immunity rates from previously infected people, we have no idea what the calculus will be for policy makers.We have to get there first.

But one shot does substantially reduce hospitalizations.That will completely change the risk calculus if we no longer have to worry about out-running our care infrastructure.

Wear the mask.Stay out of confined spaces.Hunker down for another month and let's see what this looks like.I am optimistic that by late May, June, life will be around the corner toward normal with improvements happening every day, every week -- low numbers of new infections, test positivity under control and our hospitals functioning in good shape.

Let's do this!We are just exiting the worst of this pandemic.

• SQUIRREL and Major League Ready like this

#19 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• 2,716 posts
  • LocationSilver Bay, Minnesota

Posted 28 January 2021 - 04:38 PM

Heard from my friend that he's working 16 games this spring.He said all the kitchens but one will be open, no beervendors though.He's been switched from condiments to cleanup, spraying down all kinds of stuff.Not sure how many fans will be allowed to each game.

he gone!

#20 howeda7

howeda7

• 2,217 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 05:54 PM

I will be shocked if anyone reports to Spring Training before March 1st. They are dragging this out over every little thing. We still don't know what the basic rules will be.