Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Notebook: Twins Attend Corey Kluber Showcase

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 7,093 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 07:42 PM

I agree, that's a very strong inference, in the context of other rumors. The Twins' strategy looks like it was always to allow the first wave of high-demand free agents go elsewhere, and to circle back to the remaining free agents who haven't had their demands met, and ask them whether they have reconsidered now, and try to get the most bang for the buck.

As opposed to, the most bang period.

Appreciate the sentiment Ash. But the RP is filled with a number of intriguing options. The SP options are Bauer...however you feel about him...and a TON of interesting options that don't excite, but have value.

Does not taking a $10M-ish flier mean they are going cheap? (And I've been in for $8-10M as a shot for some time on Kluber). Or does it mean they think Oddo, Walker, Richardson, etc, as good and safe an option? Or are they really looking at trade options similar to the moves they have made for Odorizzi and Maeda the last 2 yrs?
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#22 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,158 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:46 AM

From a well-known newspaper columnist this morning:

The Twins wear me out with their inactivity. The trick over at 1 Twins Way seems to be floating the notion that the Twins are “in on” every free agent and trade possibility … and then doing nothing. This perpetuates the narrative — based on hope more than reality — that they will spend to improve the team. ...Getting pantsed by the Yankees on Corey Kluber is just the latest example of phony window shopping by the local nine.

Oh wait, my bad. The columnist is Dan Shaughnessy of the Boston Globe and he was talking about the Red Sox.

Didn't know where else to put this amusing parallel.

Look back & be grateful, look ahead & be hopeful, look around & be helpful.

#23 tony&rodney

tony&rodney

Ft Myers Miracle

• 353 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 05:08 PM

There are many very good players still available. Among free agents below Bauer, we can look at Rosenthal, Hand, Soria (a fav), Yates, Clippard, Walker, Odorizzi, Hill, Paxton, Semien, Simmons, et al. So there are players to sign. There are trades too.

Kluber just seemed possible and he is so much fun to watch. The Twins have a core and holes and while there is time to wait, there is also a time to act. That time is up in a month. March is not usually a time to add free agents. I think we all want a team that can compete through/past the first and second rounds of the playoffs.

2019 was a fun season for the Twins and their fans but we have rarely seen a trio of teams as weak as Kansas City, Detroit, and Chicago were that year. In order for the Twins to compete at the top level this coming season there will need to be 3-5 significant additions. Kluber was a personal favorite of mine but now I will wait to see what happens next. There is still time.