Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Lindor traded to Mets

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Wichita Wind Surge

• 780 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 07 January 2021 - 03:40 PM

Lindor trade finally finalized. After a long time of meetings, Francisco Lindor & Carlos Carrasco are no loner w/ CLE. I haven't studied the trade yet but it seems that the Mets got the best of the deal

https://www.espn.com...eveland-indians

Maybe things will start to shake loose.

#2 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 16,063 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 04:18 PM

I don't know much about the pitchers, who appear to be the Mets last two second round picks, but both infielders appear to be glove-first types.

I certainly wouldn't be excited about that end of the haul if I was a Cleveland fan.

They made the playoffs last year, so maybe that was their motivation, but it certainly seems like it would have been a better move to deal Lindor last winter while he still had two years of control left. In any case, I hope this deal helps Cleveland in no way whatsoever.

• Danchat, Dman and Doctor Gast like this

#3 Dman

Dman

• 1,972 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 04:33 PM

I don't know much about the pitchers who appear to be the Mets last two second round picks, but both infielders appear to be glove-first types.

I certainly wouldn't be excited about that end of the haul if I was a Cleveland fan.

They made the playoffs last year, so maybe that was their motivation, but it certainly seems like it would have been a better move to deal Lindor last winter while he still had two years of control left. In any case, I hope this deal helps Cleveland in no way whatsoever.

I Agree.I think the Dodgers had a pretty nice package set up for Lindor that might have made more of a difference.Even if the Mets do not resign Lindor I think they came out OK in the deal.They will definitely get a comp pick if they don't resign him and Lindor could make a huge difference for them this year.Carrasco will probably be better in NL as well.  

IMO Josh Wolfe is the headliner of this trade. I wanted to Twins to pick him but they chose someone else in the draft.Cleveland knows how to find pitchers and I think Wolfe will be a good one in time.Cleveland did a good job dumping salary so they should have some flexibility to fix their lineup with one year deal bargain players until their young guys step up.  

• wabene and Doctor Gast like this

#4 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

St Paul Saints

• 1,985 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 04:59 PM

In any case, I hope this deal helps Cleveland in no way whatsoever.

If Gimenez doesn't make big leaps you might get your wish, at least for a few years, and even then Cleveland is banking on getting above average production out of Wolf. 

Good day to be a Twins fan. Not a great day to be a baseball fan in general. 

• TopGunn#22 likes this

#5 whosafraidofluigirussolo

whosafraidofluigirussolo

• 259 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 05:28 PM

We've been hearing about Cleveland's serious need for outfield upgrades. The two MLB players they got in this deal are middle infielders, and then they got one pitcher and one outfielder who are still years away.

If the Twins don't find the backup infielder they're looking for on the free agent market, I wonder about a trade match here, even just a smaller deal like Cave or Wade for the lesser-rated of Gimenez and Rosario.

#6 TopGunn#22

TopGunn#22

• 316 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 06:08 PM

Not sure why the Cleveland Baseball Club couldn't find a better deal with the Dodgers, but this just goes to show why refusing to deal a player "within your own division" is like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

The Twins could have offered Polanco, Dhuran/Balazovic and Rooker which probably would have easily out-done the Mets trade.To me, there is no doubt Steve Cohen and his Billions will sign Lindor to a lucrative extension.That's the part of the equation that is always a question for the Twins.You don't give up a package like the Twins could have without knowing you've got Lindor for several more years.  

#7 Otwins

Otwins

• 521 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 06:29 PM

I think the Indians did ok. There isn't that much excess value in one year of Lindor at the arbitration rates. He is as good as Mookie Betts and the Red Sox got two good but not great prospects last year. I see speculation that the Dodgers offered a better package but if the Indians felt that way they would have taken it. It was widely known he was available so I assume they took the best offer. They can use some of the $30 million saved to pick up a couple cheaper outfielders. Two young former top 100 prospects, two second round picks and saved a lot of money. Not bad- not as bad as the Cubs did trading Darvish- not as good as Tampa did trading Snell. The difference in the Snell trade is there is excess value.

#8 4twinsJA

4twinsJA

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 179 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 06:48 PM

Spotrac has Cleveland 2021 payroll at 23 million at this time. Will be interesting what they do next.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#9 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,787 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 06:57 PM

Spotrac has Cleveland 2021 payroll at 23 million at this time. Will be interesting what they do next.

Not spend money would be my guess, at least not more than 50-60 million total, I'd guess. 

• railmarshalljon likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#10 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

St Paul Saints

• 1,985 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 11:41 PM

Not spend money would be my guess, at least not more than 50-60 million total, I'd guess. 

Sad. 

Playoff berths 4 of the last 5 years. The only season they didn't make it they won 93 games. 2 CY winners and a WS appearance during that stretch too. It's a tough optic when a team like Cleveland "can't," produce even a league average payroll to keep talent around. 

• Danchat, Dman and Vanimal46 like this

#11 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Wichita Wind Surge

• 780 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 08:12 AM

I Agree.I think the Dodgers had a pretty nice package set up for Lindor that might have made more of a difference.Even if the Mets do not resign Lindor I think they came out OK in the deal.They will definitely get a comp pick if they don't resign him and Lindor could make a huge difference for them this year.Carrasco will probably be better in NL as well.  

IMO Josh Wolfe is the headliner of this trade. I wanted to Twins to pick him but they chose someone else in the draft.Cleveland knows how to find pitchers and I think Wolfe will be a good one in time.Cleveland did a good job dumping salary so they should have some flexibility to fix their lineup with one year deal bargain players until their young guys step up.  

The more I look at this deal the more I think the CLE didn't do so bad. I believe 1 of the 1st thing Cohen did was to try to obtain Lindor. It took him this long to finalize it because CLE wanted Wolfe & NYMmaybe didn't want to give him up. CLE does have a great eye for pitchers, any pitcher that they're interested in has to be good

• Dman likes this

#12 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Fort Walton Beach Jets

• 1,400 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 08:34 AM

I'll miss the smiling, eccentric Lindor, but I won't miss the clutch dingers he seems to hit against the Twins. It seemed like every series with the Indians he always did something to crush Twins fans.

• Otwins, big dog and Nine of twelve like this

#13 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Offseason Hawt Taek Enthusiast

• 13,944 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 January 2021 - 09:01 AM

Hard to complain as a Twins fan when a rival team in the division decides to give up. We're re-living the 2004-2010 AL Central, where only the White Sox, Twins and Tigers seem to be the only teams that care about winning. 

• gunnarthor likes this

#14 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Wichita Wind Surge

• 760 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 08 January 2021 - 09:47 AM

I thought all four Mets' players were being traded for Kindle and I thought it was a little bit too much. But then I read that the Mets also got Carrasco. Bad trade for Cleveland.

#15 Dman

Dman

• 1,972 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 05:14 PM

The more I look at this deal the more I think the CLE didn't do so bad. I believe 1 of the 1st thing Cohen did was to try to obtain Lindor. It took him this long to finalize it because CLE wanted Wolfe & NYMmaybe didn't want to give him up. CLE does have a great eye for pitchers, any pitcher that they're interested in has to be good

You are right after looking at the players more closely the one young great defensive shortstop could be Lindor like if his bat comes around. Rosario looks like a nice utility piece and Wolfe is a very good get.My hunch is he wont disappoint.It is a nice package for one year of an All Star and they will have the best chance to sign Lindor long term.With prospects it always hard to say how things will turn out but Cleveland did well.

#16 tony&rodney

tony&rodney

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 355 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 09:44 PM

When a team's entire payroll (Cleveland) is close to the salary of one player (Cole), baseball has a problem.

The owners and players need to get it together.

I'm not arguing the return for Lindor. The players the Mets exchanged are solid and may help.

Rosters of constantly shifting players are a marketing dilemma, even if the team wins. There needs to be some financial balance and fans need to feel an affinity for their team.

The MLBPA and the owners are the experts here and they need to consider their product and ways to create better competition between the teams as well as marketing their stars.

#17 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Wichita Wind Surge

• 780 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 06:25 AM

I see speculation that the Dodgers offered a better package but if the Indians felt that way they would have taken it. It was widely known he was available so I assume they took the best offer.

I believe CLE went w/ Mets is because Cohen was determined from the beginning to get Lindor & LAD stillare up in the air w/ Turner. CLE wanted a solution quick