Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Top 20 Minnesota Twins Assets of 2021: Part 3 (6-10)

trevor larnach byron buxton mitch garver ryan jeffers jorge polanco
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Wichita Wind Surge

• 735 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 08:23 PM

Yes, I would trade any of them for Buxton because to have 'real' value, one actually has to be on the field. I floated the idea two years back that he might be the Jacoby Ellsbury of Twins--loaded with speed, agility, hitting prowess and leather skills but someone who spends the majority of the time on the DL. Buxton giving the Twins even 100 games in good health (not 70% OK) seems like a 20 to 1 longshot at this point. Let the poison arrows fly.
  • MNT1996 likes this

#22 James Rivah Twins Fan

James Rivah Twins Fan

• 35 posts
  • LocationVirginia/North Carolina

Posted 08 January 2021 - 05:12 AM

I agree with not trading Larnach. Somebody will get hurt in the outfield and he'll reward that decision and then he'll rise up these rankings big time. Fitting all of our outfielders into a lineup is a good problem to have. Starting pitching is what we really need but I hope we don't trade Larnach or Kirilloff to get it.

• wabene, MNT1996 and SkyBlueWaters like this

#23 SkyBlueWaters

SkyBlueWaters

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 111 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 04:31 PM

Nick Nelson writes that Larnach is"the prime example of a player who'd have much more value to another team than to the Twins, making him a trade candidate."

My concern with this is Buxton' inability to stay healthy. I agree with those above who see Larnach as insurance if Buxton gets hurt again. 

Kepler isn't as flashy as Buxton in center, but he can play the position and an outfield of Kiriloff, Kepler and Larnach could be pretty good--possibly very good at the plate.

• wabene likes this

#24 prouster

prouster

Wichita Wind Surge

• 769 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 05:15 PM

With all due respect, I cannot imagine any GM giving up more for Garver than Buxton.

#25 railmarshalljon

railmarshalljon

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 75 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 08 January 2021 - 11:33 PM

I think you might be confusing quality of player with asset value. A 4 WAR player that cost $35M is probably a better player than a 3 WAR player at $5M. However, the 3 WAR at $5M is a more valuable asset because the $30M delta can be invested in Cruz / Odorizzi and a RP.

The equation that best represents value is WAR/$ weighted by years of control. No matter how you slice it or dice it, funds are NOT unlimited and production per dollar equates to value when trying to construct a team (assets). Another way of looking at it is that players who produce a high WAR to cost ratio make it possible to sign players like Donaldson or free agents in general where the cost per WAR is very high.

Steve Cohen might not agree...

You can't change the past, but you can still ruin your future.

#26 wabene

wabene

Wahoo

• 1,282 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 09 January 2021 - 09:52 AM

Won't disagree that Kirilloff and Larnach have ceilings equal to Kepler, at least their bats. I do believe, however, that Kepler's bat has another level yet to be seen. But most player's also must play a defensive position and it is in the field where Kepler's value far exceeds either Kirilloff or Larnach.

I think we need to pump the brakes on Kirilloff's and Larnach's perceived lack of defensive ability. Maybe we should watch them play a little. Kirlloff seems as cool as a cucumber and looked great sliding for the catch in a playoff elimination call-up. Larnach is 6'5" with a slightly thicker build than Kepler. He might surprise with his athleticism. I'm excited to watch.
  • SkyBlueWaters likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trevor larnach, byron buxton, mitch garver, ryan jeffers, jorge polanco