Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

2021 Off-Season Thread

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 16,063 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 09:29 AM

I love the way they work that offense there.If he's still available in a year it'd be a perfect hire.

Just throwing it out there, but Zimmer seems to have always gotten a vote of confidence after the team's poor seasons, but not this one. Kubiak is gone, the DB coach is gone. Zim's specialty defense stinks and the offense while good, is not meeting it's potential. 

If hypothetically the Vikings wanted Bienemy, but retaining Zimmer was their 2nd choice, this situation we have now is still how it would look until at least after the Super Bowl.

Conspiracy theory stuff for sure, just thought I'd share the crazy thought that just popped into my head.

• TheLeviathan likes this

#62 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,787 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 10:28 AM

PFF MIN Vikings

@PFF_Vikings

Vikings team pass block grade and rank since 2014:

2014: 72.4 (23rd)
2015: 67.9 (28th)
2016: 64.7 (30th)
2017: 71.9 (17th)
2018: 63.6 (27th)
2019: 63.0 (27th)
2020: 55.5 (29th)

Seriously. If I was the owner, I'd fire the FO and coaches at this point.....and people blame Cousins....

• nicksaviking likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#63 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 16,063 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 10:57 AM

PFF MIN Vikings

@PFF_Vikings

Seriously. If I was the owner, I'd fire the FO and coaches at this point.....and people blame Cousins....

Yeah, and I bet prior to that year, the Vikings were a top ten pass blocking team more years than they were not since the team was formed. This franchise had Pro Bowlers and HOFers on pretty much every roster since the franchise formed. 

Haven't even had a Pro Bowl O Lineman since 2012. And most years, with all the drop outs, the Pro Bowl is pretty easy to get in to.

Edit: I just looked it up, the team either had a Pro Bowler or future HOFer on the O Line in every season but six until Spielman took over. It would be four seasons if Matt Birk were to go into the HOF.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#64 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 17,004 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 02:30 PM

PFF MIN Vikings

@PFF_Vikings

Honestly I'm surprised a bit by that number.I'm not arguing it or even arguing that the line was good, but it didn't feel that bad.Not compared to, say, what the Bengals were going through.Among others.

#65 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,787 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 02:43 PM

Honestly I'm surprised a bit by that number.I'm not arguing it or even arguing that the line was good, but it didn't feel that bad.Not compared to, say, what the Bengals were going through.Among others.

The exact numbers may be off, but not the direction.....or general ranking.....maybe they were only the 25th worst :)

#66 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 17,004 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 04:26 PM

The exact numbers may be off, but not the direction.....or general ranking.....maybe they were only the 25th worst :)

Heh.I would've put them more in the middle of the pack.Maybe my perception is off, but I certainly thought they were better protecting as a group this year than the last few years.Dozier stunk and O'Neill took a small step back, but the others were all improved by a decent margin.

#67 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Offseason Hawt Taek Enthusiast

• 13,945 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 January 2021 - 05:56 PM

Normally I could care less about podcast interviews with current athletes because they’re nothing but a cliche factory. However, Kyle Rudolph was on Unrestriced, a new podcast that Ben Leber started. And it was anything but cliche. He’s been self aware for a while about his role on the team vs. his contract. He’s at a crossroads because he truly wants to be a significant contributor on the Vikings’ first Super Bowl title, but the Vikings want him to be more of a blocking TE. If he were 34 he would cut his salary down to 2 million and be a hybrid mentor/player. But he’s only 31 and thinks he has another 2-3 good years back in his old role of primary receiver.

At the end of the day I think he’ll be gone, and you can kind of tell he knows it. Maybe there will be a reunion when he’s in the Jason Witten stage of his career.

#68 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,787 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 06:51 PM

Normally I could care less about podcast interviews with current athletes because they’re nothing but a cliche factory. However, Kyle Rudolph was on Unrestriced, a new podcast that Ben Leber started. And it was anything but cliche. He’s been self aware for a while about his role on the team vs. his contract. He’s at a crossroads because he truly wants to be a significant contributor on the Vikings’ first Super Bowl title, but the Vikings want him to be more of a blocking TE. If he were 34 he would cut his salary down to 2 million and be a hybrid mentor/player. But he’s only 31 and thinks he has another 2-3 good years back in his old role of primary receiver.

At the end of the day I think he’ll be gone, and you can kind of tell he knows it. Maybe there will be a reunion when he’s in the Jason Witten stage of his career.

Just a player admitting the coaches are not playing to his strengths......

#69 howeda7

howeda7

• 2,212 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:58 PM

The QB market is going to be fascinating this offseason. We’re seeing the end of an era with Brees and Rivers retiring. Big Ben shouldn’t be far behind... He’s cooked like 2016-2018 Phil Hughes. It looks like McVay is getting tired of Goff, Shanahan is tired of Jimmy G, Denver hasn’t had a decent QB in a decade. Not to mention the possibility Deshaun Watson is traded.

From my eye there’s more available QB opportunity than QB talent available.

It might seem like a decade since Denver had a QB, but a decade ago they had Tim Tebow. Manning only retired 5 years ago.

#70 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Offseason Hawt Taek Enthusiast

• 13,945 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted Yesterday, 06:26 PM

It might seem like a decade since Denver had a QB, but a decade ago they had Tim Tebow. Manning only retired 5 years ago.

Yeah I forgot about Peyton’s 50 TD year. NFL fans like to joke that Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson were the worst QBs to win a Super Bowl. But 2015 Peyton Manning should get more recognition... He was cooked to a crisp that year.

#71 howeda7

howeda7

• 2,212 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:54 PM

Yeah I forgot about Peyton’s 50 TD year. NFL fans like to joke that Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson were the worst QBs to win a Super Bowl. But 2015 Peyton Manning should get more recognition... He was cooked to a crisp that year.

He could still make a play when needed. Not so much in the Super Bowl, but to beat Brady/Ben in the play-offs.