Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Snell to the Padres?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,659 posts

Posted 27 December 2020 - 10:24 PM

It appears that the Rays are trading LHP Blake Snell to the Padres for four players...

#2 tvagle

tvagle

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,884 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 12:47 AM

Twins equivalent something like:

Balazovic - Patino

Jeffers - Mejia

Enlow - Wilcox

Canterino - No young catcher so pay the pitching price

In this guys opinion, that'd be an overpay, unfortunately, SD just set the market for SP trades pretty high

• GNess likes this

I'm going to need a Falvine definition of the word IMPACT in regards to MLB Hurlers

#3 baul0010

baul0010

Elizabethton Twins

• 19 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 09:34 AM

I would have paid that!Unless there's a reason snell only goes 5 innings per start.

#4 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 24,081 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 10:19 AM

Baseball would be so much better if Tampa didn't have to operate within the confines they operate.

• nicksaviking, beckmt, benchwarmerjim and 4 others like this

#5 Chachi

Chachi

Elizabethton Twins

• 17 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 10:34 AM

Baseball would be so much better if Tampa didn't have to operate within the confines they operate.

I think I understand what you are saying - but they are quite effective at operating in the world they live in.I can't say for sure they would remain as good at or committed to their development machine if given different resources.This trade restocks and augments their 'next wave' we'll be admiring soon. 

Let's say they sign Snell to a massive contract and he flops for whatever reason - the odds are they then face the same difficult reality of the MLB middle-class revenue teams that suffer the noose of a massive and non-productive investment and don't have the +4 prospects they just acquired to fall back on.Would that make baseball so much better?

• Nine of twelve likes this

#6 T_J

T_J

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 214 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 11:19 AM

I think the comps above are off. The Twins have the assets to have made this trade easily and they sat on their hands.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#7 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Offseason Hawt Taek Enthusiast

• 13,937 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 December 2020 - 01:01 PM

I think the comps above are off. The Twins have the assets to have made this trade easily and they sat on their hands.

Not the assets the Rays wanted, obviously. The headliner for the Rays return is a top 20 starting pitcher prospect. The Twins don’t have that.
  • ashbury, jorgenswest, Shaitan and 1 other like this

#8 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,770 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 01:24 PM

Not the assets the Rays wanted, obviously. The headliner for the Rays return is a top 20 starting pitcher prospect. The Twins don’t have that.

I thought the plan was to draft hitting, and trade for pitching.......are you suggesting that doesn't always work?

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#9 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Ft Myers Miracle

• 446 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 01:30 PM

One less "Ace" picher we have to face.

#10 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Ft Myers Miracle

• 446 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 01:33 PM

So now the Padres have also signed Ha-Seong Kim; it's not going to leave anybody for the Bluejays.

• dbminn and tvagle like this

#11 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,912 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 03:50 PM

They’re now closing in on a trade for Darvish, reports say. Preller is a madman, and on paper this is an insanely good rotation. They’re doing all they can to keep up with LA.
  • dbminn likes this

#12 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 24,081 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 05:17 PM

I think I understand what you are saying - but they are quite effective at operating in the world they live in.I can't say for sure they would remain as good at or committed to their development machine if given different resources.This trade restocks and augments their 'next wave' we'll be admiring soon. 

Let's say they sign Snell to a massive contract and he flops for whatever reason - the odds are they then face the same difficult reality of the MLB middle-class revenue teams that suffer the noose of a massive and non-productive investment and don't have the +4 prospects they just acquired to fall back on.Would that make baseball so much better?

I'm sure the Rays would rather keep *some* of their players instead of needing to trade every single one to keep a bottom-of-the-barrel payroll. 

And imagine how could they could be, given their predictive performance acumen, if they could keep the players they want to keep.

• Mike Sixel, beckmt and Nine of twelve like this

#13 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,504 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 28 December 2020 - 07:30 PM

I'm sure the Rays would rather keep *some* of their players instead of needing to trade every single one to keep a bottom-of-the-barrel payroll. 

And imagine how could they could be, given their predictive performance acumen, if they could keep the players they want to keep.

To me the solution to the problem is to change revenue sharing to require the high-revenue teams to share more of their revenue with low-revenue teams, but that's a whole different thread.

#14 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Ft Myers Miracle

• 446 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 08:48 PM

Padres acquire the whirling Darvish for half their minor league system. In other news, Padres GM A.J. Preller has offered Petco Park to the country of India for the Taj Mahal. When asked if having to play games in the Taj Mahal might prove to be a logistic impossibility, Preller responded with, "C'mon man, it's the Taj Mahal."

#15 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Offseason Hawt Taek Enthusiast

• 13,937 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 December 2020 - 10:48 PM

Padres acquire the whirling Darvish for half their minor league system. In other news, Padres GM A.J. Preller has offered Petco Park to the country of India for the Taj Mahal. When asked if having to play games in the Taj Mahal might prove to be a logistic impossibility, Preller responded with, "C'mon man, it's the Taj Mahal."

A mid rotation starter in the last year of his deal and 4 teenage lottery tickets is “half their minor league system”??

It was a salary dump for the Cubs. A pretty embarrassing salary dump from an iconic baseball brand. This is a bad look for MLB.
  • Mike Sixel and tvagle like this

#16 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Ft Myers Miracle

• 446 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 10:52 PM

A mid rotation starter in the last year of his deal and 4 teenage lottery tickets is “half their minor league system”??

You must have missed the sarcasm font.

• tvagle likes this

#17 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,770 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 10:57 PM

They still have six of their seven top prospects, all of whom will likely be in the top 100....

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#18 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 772 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 29 December 2020 - 06:01 AM

Twins equivalent something like:

Balazovic - Patino

Jeffers - Mejia

Enlow - Wilcox

Canterino - No young catcher so pay the pitching price

In this guys opinion, that'd be an overpay, unfortunately, SD just set the market for SP trades pretty high

TB got the best end of the deal but I was expecting even more lopsided trade.

You over shot the value a little on each Twins prospect which all together you under valued the Padres prospects by quite a bit. 

The Twin package you presented is a fair offer for Snell which means TB wouldn't take. I wouldn't trade these prospect of ours for Snell because I believe Snell's over valued & I'd hate to give up our promising future for him.

#19 old nurse

old nurse

• 4,096 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 06:02 AM

It is better to have moved on a player too soon than too late. The trade trees would lead me to think that the only bad trade they made was the Shields and Davis trade

#20 old nurse

old nurse

• 4,096 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 09:39 AM

You must have missed the sarcasm font.

You have to remember that people have met others along the way and know them better. They may have sounded just like your post

• Vanimal46 likes this