Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

MLB Recognizes Negro Leagues as Major Leagues

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 745 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 11:57 AM

Major League Baseball announced today that they officially recognize the Negro Leagues as major leagues. A terrific decision that goes toward remedying the fraught history of the sport. I thought it would be appropriate to start a thread where everyone can discuss it.
  • SQUIRREL, Teflon, Craig Arko and 3 others like this

#2 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,262 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 01:27 PM

Before everyone jumps all over me as a racist, how can MLB possibly hope to accomplish this?

Statistics keeping was shoddy at best in these leagues so how are you going to be able to come up with stats?

There were also different levels of the Negro Leagues so it's like saying minor league stats count too.

Some teams were basically the Harlem Globe Trotters as they just did things for entertainment rather than actual baseball.

I've been to the Negro Leagues Museum at least six times and love their history and always come away saddened and inspired at the same time but I don't think their statistics should be included until it is known with certainty that they are accurate, which sadly may never happen.

I have the Negro Leagues stratomatic cards and the guy (Scott Simkus) that poured over all these box scores said in an interview that it was impossible to know for certainty the actual statistics these players accrued.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#3 PDX Twin

PDX Twin

Portland Beavers

• 1,606 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 December 2020 - 01:54 PM

It is possible to recognize them as "major," yet not pool them for establishing records. To the extent that statistics allow, they could give them a separate analysis and let people decide whether X home runs in the Negro Leagues is equivalent to X home runs in the traditional major leagues.

• DocBauer and Nine of twelve like this

Triples are more fun than home runs; stolen bases are more fun than strikeouts; singles are more fun than walks.

#4 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 745 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 03:15 PM

Before everyone jumps all over me as a racist, how can MLB possibly hope to accomplish this?

Statistics keeping was shoddy at best in these leagues so how are you going to be able to come up with stats?

There were also different levels of the Negro Leagues so it's like saying minor league stats count too.

Some teams were basically the Harlem Globe Trotters as they just did things for entertainment rather than actual baseball.

I've been to the Negro Leagues Museum at least six times and love their history and always come away saddened and inspired at the same time but I don't think their statistics should be included until it is known with certainty that they are accurate, which sadly may never happen.
I have the Negro Leagues stratomatic cards and the guy (Scott Simkus) that poured over all these box scores said in an interview that it was impossible to know for certainty the actual statistics these players accrued.

How comfortable are you including stats from the American Association or the earliest days of the National League? Isn’t this about finally recognizing—in an official capacity—the fact that the men in the Negro Leagues were playing baseball at the game’s highest level?

#5 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,158 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 16 December 2020 - 03:23 PM

It is possible to recognize them as "major," yet not pool them for establishing records. To the extent that statistics allow, they could give them a separate analysis and let people decide whether X home runs in the Negro Leagues is equivalent to X home runs in the traditional major leagues.

There have been similar determinations made on leagues in the 1800s, where additional criteria like playing to a predetermined schedule and then executing that plan without one team or another dropping out also factored in, besides just the strength of the competition. It's quite tricky and nuanced, even when there isn't the additional complex factor of race. All in all I am comfortable with this change in denotation, but I'm sure it won't please everyone (nor would have the status quo), as with the decision to call "major" the Union Association of 1884, only 100x moreso.

Look back & be grateful, look ahead & be hopeful, look around & be helpful.

#6 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,158 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 16 December 2020 - 06:19 PM

Someone on a facebook group I belong to posted the following opinion. His name is Roy Rossi and I don't believe I know him personally. Because it is heavy on specifics, I thought some folks here might find his words interesting. If you don't recognize the player names mentioned last... that's the point.

I think it is great that this finally getting done. For the all time greats like Satch, Josh, Cool Papa, Willie Mays, and Henry Aaron it doesn't really move the stick because there greatness is already assured. Where it helps I think is for the lesser know greats like John Beckwith, Bruce Petway, Oliver "The Ghost" Marcell, Dick" Cannonball" Redding, Grant "Homerun" Johnson and other deserving players stronger consideration for the Hall of Fame. People can become more aware of these great baseball players and they get the recognition they deserve.
  • Brock Beauchamp, TNTwinsFan and DocBauer like this

Look back & be grateful, look ahead & be hopeful, look around & be helpful.

#7 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,504 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 16 December 2020 - 07:50 PM

Of course the Negro Leagues were major leagues. This was the highest attainable level for Black professional baseball players. 

#8 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 24,081 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 07:20 AM

If statistics are what you’re most concerned about, I think you’re coming at this from the entirely wrong angle.

But yes, stats are going to be an issue with the negro leagues, though I don’t think it matters all that much. The sport and its history is much more than a collection of numbers.