Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Arbitration

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Draft Czar

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

Drew Butera and Twins agree to 700K deal. A little more than I thought...

#2 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

He is a waste of space , plain and simple....

#3 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 16,606 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

Dangit, I really want the payroll higher, and was hoping he got millions..../s

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 13,298 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

Fair deal... could argue he maybe should be at $650,000, but at the end of the day, what's $50,000. More and More, I'm completely on board with him being around in 2014, until Chris Herrmann is ready to be the backup catcher.

#5 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

I wanted to read the transcript where both sides entered their reasoning for a low figure or a high figure.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#6 GCTF

GCTF

The Thad

• Members
  • 2,432 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

Drew Butera and Twins agree to 700K deal. A little more than I thought...

Just so we're all on the same page..this is what Butera is paying to be on the roster, right?

Dressed in black, tossin' back a shot of rye.

#7 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

Fair deal... could argue he maybe should be at $650,000, but at the end of the day, what's $50,000. More and More, I'm completely on board with him being around in 2014, until Chris Herrmann is ready to be the backup catcher.

50,000 is what it would have cost to sign Lara in the rule 5 draft, which would you prefer on the team?
One weakness i see is from the left side of the pen, Duensing (if he isnt starting) or Robertson .Seems a little weak to me

#8 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

50,000 is what it would have cost to sign Lara in the rule 5 draft, which would you prefer on the team?
One weakness i see is from the left side of the pen, Duensing (if he isnt starting) or Robertson .Seems a little weak to me

That horse has been beaten so hard, there's only remnants of hair left Johnny :-)

#9 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,414 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

This would tell us they intend to carry 3 catchers again. How many teams do this?

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#10 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

This would tell us they intend to carry 3 catchers again. How many teams do this?

Hey, if Doumit and Mauer are both in the lineup (one at DH and one a catcher), and the one catching gets hurt, we'd have to move the one DHing to catcher, forcing the pitcher hit to hit a whole 2, 3 times for one whole game before another catcher got recalled. Could be the difference between a playoff spot and missing the playoffs :-)

Edited by ThePuck, 17 January 2013 - 12:48 PM.

#11 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,545 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

Doesn't everybody?

#12 savvyspy

savvyspy

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

What is the penalty for losing an arbitration hearing with the worst hitter in baseball for the last 50 years?? My guess is that what drives a front office to offer up $700K to Drew Butera.

#13 Todd G

Todd G

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

More than the average person makes in a year . . .

#14 ericchri

ericchri

Generally Clueless

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

Hey, if Doumit and Mauer are both in the lineup (one at DH and one a catcher), and the one catching gets hurt, we'd have to move the one DHing to catcher, forcing the pitcher hit to hit a whole 2, 3 times for one whole game before another catcher got recalled. Could be the difference between a playoff spot and missing the playoffs :-)

This argument (by the Twins, not ThePuck's) is such complete garbage. We waste a roster spot guarding against such a remote possibility, which would only likely hurt us for half a game anyway.

This just popped into my head, though I can't imagine the Twins letting it make any difference with Butera. With the new schedule, AL pitchers are going to be hitting at "random" times throughout the year now, as opposed to only during little blocks of time when the interleague games were scheduled. So are they going to have their pitchers practicing their hitting a little more regularly throughout the season, such that they'd theoretically be a little more prepared if this situation actually managed to come about?

#15 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Cham-Peen of the World

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

Who would Hermann be backing up in 2014? Mauer and Doumit?

Hermann ought to be ready to be a 3rd string catcher and sit on the bench all the time like Butera does.

#16 SweetOne69

SweetOne69

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

While Doumit is listed as catcher and can play the position, he is a DH and is more the emergency Catcher instead of a back up catcher.

#17 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Cham-Peen of the World

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

While Doumit is listed as catcher and can play the position, he is a DH and is more the emergency Catcher instead of a back up catcher.

Doumit started 59 games at catcher last season, Butera started 41. That would indicate to me that the emergency catcher is Butera.

#18 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

Butera should get paid more than that for all the work he gets in.

#19 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports that the Red Sox and Mike Napoli have reached an agreement on a one-year, $5 million contract.

Financial details are provided by CBS Sports' Jon Heyman. The Red Sox originally signed Napoli to a three-year, $39 million contract earlier in the offseason, but talks hit a snag after an issue with one of his hips was reportedly found during a pre-signing physical. The injury is not expected to keep him from being ready for Opening Day, so it's surprising that Napoli wasn't able to do better in free agency. He'll now look to re-establish his value on a new, one-year deal. If healthy, Napoli should remain a decent fantasy option throughout 2013 as Boston's everyday first baseman.

#20 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,414 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

[quote name='ericchri']This argument (by the Twins, not ThePuck's) is such complete garbage. We waste a roster spot guarding against such a remote possibility, which would only likely hurt us for half a game anyway.

Some people wear tin foil hats to protect against cosmic catastrophe which happens at about the same rate! You can buy a lot of tin foil hats for 700K.

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra