Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Pitchers most likely to make MLB debut for Twins in 2021

pitchers
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 4twinsJA

4twinsJA

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 174 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 08:24 AM

I thought it would be interesting to start discussion on Twins pitching prospects. Twins only had one pitcher make MLB debut in 2020, Colina. I made a top 10 list of pitchers most likely to make MLB debut for Twins in 2021. 1) Duran, on 40 manroster, top pitching prospect, easy choice. 2) Chalmers, on 40 man roster for second year. See Chalmers as wild card with no MiLB last year, ranked here mostly because he is on roster. 3) Ober-recent 40 man addition. probably not huge upside but could see callup for spot start. 4) Balazovic on 40 man and top prospect. See Twins wanting Balazovic to get plenty of innings at AA and AAA this year, maybe late season call up. 

That's last of pitchers on roster, 5) Jax mosy likely with would have made debut last year with normal season. 6) Hackimer every bullpen needs a sidewinder. 7) Barnes has AAA experience and LHP. 8)Sammons it is time for him to at least get a chance. 9) Cano a sleeper pick, 10) Bray sentimental pick, looking forward to Seth's interview tonight. I did have Wells on list before rule 5 draft.

Next five probably a year away- Canterino, Enlow, Sands, Winder, and Vallimont.

#2 big dog

big dog

• 3,143 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 10:36 AM

Personally I hope we only have one or two pitchers make their debut this year. Any more than that means bad, bad news. I'd love to see Duran up.

#3 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,682 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 10:18 PM

They need innings. But could see the Twins doing a rotation of guys in and out, although we have to remember that you have to stay at AAA for more days these days once sent out. Be interesting to see if the season in 2021 is shortened, or if more double-headers are added. That could be a plus with your minor league team so close. The question is who is on the 40-man that will be out of options and will have to go thru waivers if you decide to add a non-roster guy like, say, Jax.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com

#4 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,900 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 10:35 PM

Duran seems like the only one who could potentially grab a rotation spot at some point in the year. We've got 3 locks for the rotation and Dobnak, but not much else after that. Rocco avoided using Smeltzer at all costs last year (which was probably wise on his part), so I suspect he's just an emergency spot starter. They'll need to add some veteran depth.

This is assuming Colina will be a reliever, as from what I've read he profiles more as one than a starter.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pitchers