Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Indians no more

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
99 replies to this topic

#21 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,762 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 10:30 AM

I can't believe people are actually taking issue with them changing their name or chalking it up to "PC culture." Get out of the 1950s - it's actually not that scary here in the present.

• Brock Beauchamp, SQUIRREL, gunnarthor and 13 others like this

#22 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 2,147 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 12:06 PM

Shakespeare: A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

Indiana Twin: A Cleveland baseball team by any other name still stinks. 

• James and TopGunn#22 like this

#23 cmoss84

cmoss84

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 575 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 14 December 2020 - 12:37 PM

Steamers. 

• James likes this

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#24 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Offseason Hawt Taek Enthusiast

• 13,931 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 December 2020 - 12:56 PM

Has Cleveland's ownership group committed to staying in Cleveland? Sounds like an opportunity to relocate, IMO. Name change, slashing payroll, and losing their star player Lindor. We could be seeing the plot of Major League being played out in real life... 

• Cornholio likes this

#25 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,143 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 14 December 2020 - 01:13 PM

Has Cleveland's ownership group committed to staying in Cleveland? Sounds like an opportunity to relocate, IMO. Name change, slashing payroll, and losing their star player Lindor. We could be seeing the plot of Major League being played out in real life... 

Not sure what purpose the dropping of the Indians name (without a replacement) would serve in that larger ambition.

Look back & be grateful, look ahead & be hopeful, look around & be helpful.

#26 stewthornley

stewthornley

• 57 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 01:17 PM

Steamers!

#27 stewthornley

stewthornley

• 57 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 01:18 PM

And oversnark apologies to the Pensacola Blue Wahoos, who suggested my name first.

#28 tvagle

tvagle

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,883 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 01:58 PM

Steamers. 

IMG E6CF47BB847A 1

• stewthornley, DocBauer, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this

I'm going to need a Falvine definition of the word IMPACT in regards to MLB Hurlers

#29 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• 2,918 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 02:00 PM

Just saw in the New York Times that Cleveland is dropping the Indians moniker. 

https://www.nytimes....ame-change.html

No word about to what they might change. Wind Surge seems to already be taken. :)

"Wind Surge" just shows an extreme amount of creativity! It can be done, then. 

#30 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• 2,918 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 02:00 PM

Personally, I always thought there should be a team called The Blue Sox or the Green Sox. We have the Red and the White Sox. Why not the Blue Sox? This country, in this time of crisis, needs to come together around red, white, and blue collared athletic socks! Make it happen, Cleveland!

• Hosken Bombo Disco and DocBauer like this

#31 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• 2,918 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 02:05 PM

And, of course, "Vikings" is offensive and must go, to say nothing of the "Fighting Irish."

I also wondered recently about the Fighting Irish, so I looked it up. Cutting to the chase, it was an abusive term used against them which they themselves began to use in their own favor. It would be like a team of American Indians who had Redskins!" and "Indians!" yelled them, and then who used that name for their own advantage. Cleveland, Atlanta, DC ... those were never Indian-owned, operated teams. Here's an article that explains why Notre Dame is fine with their moniker. https://www.irishcen...10598-237740101

• Brock Beauchamp, nicksaviking, DocBauer and 1 other like this

#32 stewthornley

stewthornley

• 57 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 02:05 PM

A friend said he heard Buckeyes suggested, which could be cool since it would honor the city's former Negro League team, except THE OSU would probably object.My friend then offered the Woodies.The first game I ever went to, between Cleveland and Minnesota, Woodie Held played shortstop for Cleveland.Woodie Held is also on my all-name baseball team.The entire team is available upon request.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#33 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• 2,918 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 02:06 PM

I can't believe people are actually taking issue with them changing their name or chalking it up to "PC culture." Get out of the 1950s - it's actually not that scary here in the present.

Thank you.

• SQUIRREL, gunnarthor, DocBauer and 3 others like this

#34 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• 2,918 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 02:21 PM

A friend said he heard Buckeyes suggested, which could be cool since it would honor the city's former Negro League team, except THE OSU would probably object.My friend then offered the Woodies.The first game I ever went to, between Cleveland and Minnesota, Woodie Held played shortstop for Cleveland.Woodie Held is also on my all-name baseball team.The entire team is available upon request.

Buckeyes sounds great.

#35 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,623 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 02:49 PM

Personally, I always thought there should be a team called The Blue Sox or the Green Sox. We have the Red and the White Sox. Why not the Blue Sox? This country, in this time of crisis, needs to come together around red, white, and blue collared athletic socks! Make it happen, Cleveland!

There could definitely be a tie-in with the sock theme. a Penobscot, with the name Louis Sockalexis, played for the early Cleveland teams back around 1900 before they were known as the Indians.

Here’s Joe Posnanski writing in 2014: https://mlb.nbcsport...s-and-the-name/
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#36 Cornholio

Cornholio

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 56 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 03:36 PM

Lebron is from Cleveland. They could be the ‘Bronnies’. Or maybe the Lakers. Or just maybe the ‘Edmund Fitzgerald’s’ finally make it to Cleveland.

They could be the Cleveland Dockers. Or maybe Steamers. So many options.

Actually...

#37 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,927 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 14 December 2020 - 05:26 PM

The Cleveland Suckage; it just slides off the tongue.

Update your priors.

#38 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,494 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 14 December 2020 - 07:58 PM

Aren't the ones with Cleveland the gray, away jerseys? I think most teams wear the nickname at home and the city away.

I'm pretty sure they have navy Cleveland jerseys.

#39 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 7,087 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 08:20 PM

While I don't feel the Cleveland ownership is looking to pull a "Major League" franchise move, I thought I heard that a recent FO hiring by another team...might have been Donbrowski but not sure...had been working with a group to get a MLB franchise for Nashville.
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#40 mickeymental

mickeymental

• 1,401 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 12:09 PM

The american bullfrog was made the ohio state frog in 2010.

• SQUIRREL likes this