Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Wind Surge?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

play it four word

• 10,028 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 09:06 AM

One thing about Wind Surge, no one could possibly be offended. I know a couple of local power company employees who would be very upset that a baseball team would be called Linemen. Come to think of it, Indians will soon be available.

I drink Surge when i can get it, and if were a Coca-Cola distributor, i might be offended if someone implied it gave you wind.

But if i am grasping at straws, it is only to drink more Surge to drown my sorrows at being offended. Please forgive my wind.

#42 Teflon

Teflon

"That" Guy

• 617 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 07:14 PM

I personally could never get tired of that song. One of the greatest ever. Jimmy Webb and Glen Campbell were an incredible duo.

While I don't wish that name for the baseball team, I can't argue about the song. One of the best marriages of a melody to the sentiment of the lyrics - especially the line "And I need you more than want you - and I want you for all time" - always gives me chills.

• Diesel likes this

#43 Teflon

Teflon

"That" Guy

• 617 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 07:22 PM

"Wichita is the air capital of the world, and we're paying homage to the wind. It's a mighty force," Moullette said. "It's powerful to us, and timeless."

I'm not quite sure how "the air capital of the world" is determined. Maybe measuring the wind? But that would make it the wind capital of the world ... 

I think that is an acknowledgment of Cessna being headquartered in Wichita plus the nearby McConnell Air Force base.

• SkyBlueWaters likes this

#44 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Ft Myers Miracle

• 480 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 10:51 PM

How about - The Indians. I hear the name is available.
  • ashbury likes this

#45 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 757 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 25 December 2020 - 08:37 AM

If people want to change a teams name that's fine. But if you change a name please change it to a better name. The Miracles was pretty decent name a name I could get behind but they changed it to the Mighty Mussels, give me a break! So no matter what you think of Wind Surge please don't change it, I don`t trust those who'd rename it

• AZTwin likes this

#46 Teflon

Teflon

"That" Guy

• 617 posts

Posted 25 December 2020 - 01:05 PM

Given the discussion around the Wizard of Oz theme, a compromise occurred to me, The "Wichita Gales" -a gale being a big wind, such as the tornado that relocated Dorothy's house from Kansas to Oz, and also, conveniently, Dorothy's last name. 

Here are a couple of mock-up logos I made on PlaceIt.

GalesLogo1
GalesLogo2

• DocBauer and AceWrigley like this

#47 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 2,144 posts

Posted 25 December 2020 - 08:04 PM

With two young adult sons, our household already had enough flatulence wisecracks, even without the addition of the Wind Surge to the Twins system. But the older son came through with a sporty Wichita cap for me under the Christmas tree, so I’ll be repping it come spring. Go Wind Surge. 

• Nine of twelve likes this

#48 Teflon

Teflon

"That" Guy

• 617 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 11:59 AM

Given the discussion around the Wizard of Oz theme, a compromise occurred to me, The "Wichita Gales" -a gale being a big wind, such as the tornado that relocated Dorothy's house from Kansas to Oz, and also, conveniently, Dorothy's last name. 

Also - Gale Sayers, the Kansas Comet, starred for the Jayhawks before his NFL HOF career with the Bears.

3b6e8c9730a45d421550a6e38408b921.jpg

#49 SkyBlueWaters

SkyBlueWaters

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 104 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 07:18 PM

Wichita Knuckleheads-gave-me-this-hotfoot?

#50 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• 776 posts

Posted 27 December 2020 - 09:29 AM

Wichita Sandwiches.......