Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Chris Archer: Update

chris archer
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 757 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 02 January 2021 - 10:23 AM

Being traded high doesn't make Archer bad any more it makes Snell bad. I'm glad that the FO didn't bite on either.

I was wondering after reading FA ratings & reports, they never mention his surgery. Being skeptical of the surgery myself, (especially after Phil Hugh's past)I decided to dig deeper. I read recent articles & discovered that the procedure now most pitchers can make a full recovery in a few weeks.

https://www.forbes.c...sh=7d55c3775293

I became very optimistic & more enthusiastic for the FO to sign him. Archer is a very good pitcher w/ a strong arm & a lot of potential, ask any Twin who has faced him.

Wes can work w/ on his fastball, slider & pitch selection & J Santana can perfect his circle change up. He's low risk/ high reward opportunity. I can see him do very well here

#22 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 16,023 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 10:40 AM

I would have been on board for Archer prior to his surgery; I too thought there was still plenty there to work with.

But at this point I'd only take him on a minor league deal after he's DFA'd. Maybe I'm wrong, but so far there are zero successful TOS surgery rehabs, right?

#23 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Ft Myers Miracle

• 436 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 03:20 PM

I think the vascular TOS is a harder recovery than the neurological TOS that Archer had and post-surgery performance is affected less. The surgical procedures and rehabs that some athletes endure are truly amazing. Signing Archer to a low $ front-end performance-based contract could provide value if the Twins feel he could pitch as a starter. But if the fastball doesn't zip and the sinker don't sink, maybe not.

• DocBauer and Doctor Gast like this

#24 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 757 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 07:17 AM

Being traded high doesn't make Archer bad any more it makes Snell bad. I'm glad that the FO didn't bite on either.

I was wondering after reading FA ratings & reports, they never mention his surgery. Being skeptical of the surgery myself, (especially after Phil Hugh's past)I decided to dig deeper. I read recent articles & discovered that the procedure now most pitchers can make a full recovery in a few weeks.

https://www.forbes.c...sh=7d55c3775293

I became very optimistic & more enthusiastic for the FO to sign him. Archer is a very good pitcher w/ a strong arm & a lot of potential, ask any Twin who has faced him.

Wes can work w/ on his fastball, slider & pitch selection & J Santana can perfect his circle change up. He's low risk/ high reward opportunity. I can see him do very well here

I'm usually pretty busy so many times when I post things I rush & leave it incomplete, hoping to come back & edit it. In this case I couldn't. 

What I really want to say is that I've always seen Archer asaraw talent pitcher that could become the next Johan Santana. I'd like if FO would approach him let him know that they are interested & all that they have to offer him & keep TB from low balling him. Offer him a contract simular to Robles.

Archer has matured a lot from his TB days & hope he can come back fully & develop to his full potential hopefully w/ the Twins. I believe Archer could be on the IL until he's 100% or when needed, having some flexibity on the 40 man

#25 Dodecahedron

Dodecahedron

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 94 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 10:47 AM

I have not looked closely at Archer lately, but whenever I took a deep dive look at his numbers in the past, I always came out with the impression that he's not particularly great. His high K totals skew contemporary metrics too far to the positive given his actuals.

The Rays got good production out of him because that's what the Rays do.

And let's face it, the only reason Twins fans spend so much time looking at Archer is because he's closer to the middle -- and is thus a reasonable target for the frugal Twins.

Archer could be an good player to nab to fill out the middle-to-back of the rotation, but so could a lot of other players. I'm not sure if a team wanting a deep playoff run spends a whole lot of effort targeting Archer.

• mnfireman and Rigby like this

#26 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 757 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 01:38 PM

Chris Archer has an elite 4 seamer & slider plus an above average change up. Like I said before J Santana can perfect his circle change up. He gets a lot of SOs so what's his problem? It has been said that he tip off his pitches. How is he doing that?

I read a great article about "mirroring", it's throwing your pitches as close as possible to the same arm angle. Example, spina pitch one way you get a rising fast ball the other way you get a slider, little to no spin a change up. There by the hitters can't guess what's coming. Much of Bieber & Hill's success is striving to perfect this technic.

I'm not an expert but it seems that Archer could be throwing his pitches at different arm angles therefore a hitter that focuses on arm angles & Archer's pitches can be able to determine what he's throwing & unload on the pitch. If Archer can work on mirroring, have Wes up tick his FB & pitch selection & improve on his change up, he'd be awsome. 

#27 old nurse

old nurse

• 4,095 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:19 AM

If Chris Archer learns a whole new set of mechanics as a pitcher he could be good. Isn’t that every pitcher?

• ashbury, mnfireman, Rigby and 1 other like this

#28 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,798 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted Yesterday, 06:48 AM

You know the offseason has been bleak when you revisit a month-old Chris Archer thread, hoping the Twins made some kind of move.

• ashbury, old nurse and Scott51104 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chris archer