Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Chris Archer: Update

chris archer
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 772 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 12 December 2020 - 12:08 PM

Many look at Archer's stats while at PIT or maybe they got burned by him on Fantasy Baseball thus saying he's no good. Sometimes we need to look beyond the stats.There hasn't been any doubt in my mind that Chris Archer's problem was PIT coaching staff. Archer had good action on his fastball & slider w/ a circle change up. He`s also a workhorse putting up a lot of innings for both TB & PIT. My only doubt was how he would come back from his surgery. 

Looking at his twitter post he looks pretty darn good at this stage of his recovery.

FO office could sign him to a low contract w/ a lot of incentives. Wes could work w/ him to get his fastball & slider back & Johann Santana could perfect his circle change up. Also there was talk about him telegraphing his pitches, this also could be worked on. He`s low risk/ high reward, FO sign him up

#2 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 772 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 01:20 PM

Unfortunately his twitter site didn't show up on my posting, you can check it out on his twitter site if you like

#3 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,158 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 12 December 2020 - 01:41 PM

That little crow-hop in the video has to be balk. :)

• tvagle and Doctor Gast like this

Look back & be grateful, look ahead & be hopeful, look around & be helpful.

#4 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 758 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 12 December 2020 - 04:27 PM

What happens when he puts a baseball in his empty hand?

#5 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 772 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 05:25 PM

That little crow-hop in the video has to be balk. :)

I'm sure it is. It has to be part of rehab that he'll have to lose once he progresses. Crow hop is a good term for that little movement

#6 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,158 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 12 December 2020 - 06:17 PM

Crow hop is a good term for that little movement

Crow hop

• Doctor Gast likes this

Look back & be grateful, look ahead & be hopeful, look around & be helpful.

#7 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 772 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 08:04 AM

Learn something new every day!

#8 Trov

Trov

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 696 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 08:56 AM

Would I be willing to sing him to minor league deal in hopes he can come back, yes.But no major league deal.It has nothing to do with his numbers in Pittsburg, it has to with the surgery.Although I have read that many players "return" many big names in recent years have never come close to what they did before.  

Phil Huges and Matt Harvey come to mind.Both had Cy Young level seasons prior to issues and neither had any level of success after.Of course I would not say because they failed Archer will too.That is why I would only go minor league deal.Maybe if he requires a major league deal I would go min with lots of incentives.Unlike Pineda who Twins gave 2 year deal coming of Tommy John surgery.That surgery has shown many players come back after it.  

I would agree, one big part of Archer failing did have to do with less slider use.Archer used slider a ton in Tampa, then cut down a ton with Pittsburg.Twins are big on the slider.I bet if Archer does not get a major league deal the Twins will try to swoop in on a flyer deal.  

• DocBauer and Doctor Gast like this

#9 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 745 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 11:00 AM

Would I be willing to sing him to minor league deal in hopes he can come back, yes. But no major league deal. It has nothing to do with his numbers in Pittsburg, it has to with the surgery. Although I have read that many players "return" many big names in recent years have never come close to what they did before.

Phil Huges and Matt Harvey come to mind. Both had Cy Young level seasons prior to issues and neither had any level of success after. Of course I would not say because they failed Archer will too. That is why I would only go minor league deal. Maybe if he requires a major league deal I would go min with lots of incentives. Unlike Pineda who Twins gave 2 year deal coming of Tommy John surgery. That surgery has shown many players come back after it.

I would agree, one big part of Archer failing did have to do with less slider use. Archer used slider a ton in Tampa, then cut down a ton with Pittsburg. Twins are big on the slider. I bet if Archer does not get a major league deal the Twins will try to swoop in on a flyer deal.

The common denominator between Hughes and Harvey is thoracic outlet syndrome. Very few if any pitchers have come back from that. If Archer’s problems are mechanical or related to pitch selection, then there’s some hope that he can be brought back to life. I agree he’s worth a spring training invite.
  • ashbury and Doctor Gast like this

#10 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 772 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 11:22 AM

Would I be willing to sing him to minor league deal in hopes he can come back, yes.But no major league deal.It has nothing to do with his numbers in Pittsburg, it has to with the surgery.Although I have read that many players "return" many big names in recent years have never come close to what they did before.  

Phil Huges and Matt Harvey come to mind.Both had Cy Young level seasons prior to issues and neither had any level of success after.Of course I would not say because they failed Archer will too.That is why I would only go minor league deal.Maybe if he requires a major league deal I would go min with lots of incentives.Unlike Pineda who Twins gave 2 year deal coming of Tommy John surgery.That surgery has shown many players come back after it.  

I would agree, one big part of Archer failing did have to do with less slider use.Archer used slider a ton in Tampa, then cut down a ton with Pittsburg.Twins are big on the slider.I bet if Archer does not get a major league deal the Twins will try to swoop in on a flyer deal.  

The surgery rehab really troubles me too. Like you said quite a few don't come back but some do. Maybe now they have better technique to use. He probably will need lot more time & many teams won't commit until he shows more definite progress so he probably won't sign until well into the off season

#11 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,772 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 10:57 PM

I think the question with Archer is whether any team with budget constraints for '21 (as it seems the Twins might have) can afford to risk a guaranteed contract to someone coming off TOS. 

There's basically no track record of successful returns from it yet that I could find. I'm sure eventually someone will come back from it and be what they were before, but if it took more than a minor league contract and spring training invite, I'm not sure the Twins could afford to be the team to take the chance this year.

#12 Trov

Trov

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 696 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 10:46 AM

The common denominator between Hughes and Harvey is thoracic outlet syndrome. Very few if any pitchers have come back from that. If Archer’s problems are mechanical or related to pitch selection, then there’s some hope that he can be brought back to life. I agree he’s worth a spring training invite.

Thoracic outlet syndrome is what Archer got surgery for as well.That is why I am worried.The pitch selection may have been an issue too, but I am hesitant to go after anyone right now with thoracic outlet syndrome, until some prove they fully recover or anywhere close to recover.It could be that many of the pitchers also get it later in career and so return is less due to that issue, but more due to age as well.That is why I would be willing to take very low risk waiver on him, but would not count on him at all. 

• nicksaviking, DocBauer and jud6312 like this

#13 mnfireman

mnfireman

• 342 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 09:25 PM

Let's just go with NO going forward. Archer has never put up numbers that have matched the hype, SABRmetrics, peripherals, potential, etc... that everybody thinks he should. Call me old school, out-dated or whatever, performance matters to me and he has not performed. Do not go after him. Period.

• LA VIkes Fan, alphanumeric, Dman and 2 others like this

#14 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 745 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 07:25 AM

Thoracic outlet syndrome is what Archer got surgery for as well. That is why I am worried. The pitch selection may have been an issue too, but I am hesitant to go after anyone right now with thoracic outlet syndrome, until some prove they fully recover or anywhere close to recover. It could be that many of the pitchers also get it later in career and so return is less due to that issue, but more due to age as well. That is why I would be willing to take very low risk waiver on him, but would not count on him at all.

You’re right. For some reason I was thinking Tommy John. I agree, a spring training invite would be worth it, but nothing more than that.

#15 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 772 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 06:26 PM

Let's just go with NO going forward. Archer has never put up numbers that have matched the hype, SABRmetrics, peripherals, potential, etc... that everybody thinks he should. Call me old school, out-dated or whatever, performance matters to me and he has not performed. Do not go after him. Period.

If you tie a teenager's right arm behind their back & put him in the middle of Lake Minnetonka & tell him to swim to shore. He swam to shore but he didn't make the swimming team because he didn't meet the normal time of a normal swim. You have to take into consideration underlining conditions or you`ll miss out on many opportunities. The teams that really know Archer are the most interested in him (TB, PIT, Cubs) maybe they know something we don't. You said that he hasn't lived up to his hype. Hype is based on potential & no one lives up to their hype until they fully develop their potential. Berrios hasn't lived up to his hype, should we get rid of him? No, because 1 day he will. If TB didn't asked too much for Archer & the Twins were able to land him instead of PIT. Wes Johnson could've developed him into a pitcher that lived up to his hype. If you look only at specific performance w/o taking into consideration underlining conditions you'll be very disappointed. 

Should the Twins sign him? It depends if he can recuperate from this surgery. Should the Twins keep an eye on him? It'd be foolish not to  

#16 AZTwin

AZTwin

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,118 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 11:43 PM

This boards obsession with loving Archer (and hating on Rosario) is bizarre. Archer was never that great of a player and this board has always wanted to give up the farm for him.
  • mnfireman and alphanumeric like this

#17 old nurse

old nurse

• 4,096 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 05:57 AM

This boards obsession with loving Archer (and hating on Rosario) is bizarre. Archer was never that great of a player and this board has always wanted to give up the farm for him.

A dozen people does not make a board

• diehardtwinsfan, Carpetboy and wabene like this

#18 twinfan

twinfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 175 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 03:31 PM

I've always liked Archer's arm but his major league career has never panned out. I'd give him 5 mil for a 2 year contract if he is healthy. Right now that is the big question.

• Doctor Gast likes this

#19 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 772 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 01:32 PM

#1 I'm a Rosario fan. No one on this thread slammed on him. I would not judge anyone w/ little to no reason.

#2 The main focus on this thread is keep an open mind on Archer. If you think pitching coaching has no bearing on pitchers or PIT ex-pitching coach is the greatest, maybe you should contact FO& convince them to fire Wes Johnson &hire PIT ex-pitching coach, I'm sure he'd be cheap (just kidding)

#3 Archer has good stuff that can be improved. The only concern is if he can come back from his injury. So far it has been smooth & the teams that know him the best are the most interested. San Diego bet heavily on Snell so TB will be interested in some pitchers to eat innings. TB knows Archer the best, they know how to scout & develop pitchers so there is probably where Archer will end up

#20 The Wise One

The Wise One

• 1,908 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 02:30 PM

#1 I'm a Rosario fan. No one on this thread slammed on him. I would not judge anyone w/ little to no reason.

#2 The main focus on this thread is keep an open mind on Archer. If you think pitching coaching has no bearing on pitchers or PIT ex-pitching coach is the greatest, maybe you should contact FO& convince them to fire Wes Johnson &hire PIT ex-pitching coach, I'm sure he'd be cheap (just kidding)

#3 Archer has good stuff that can be improved. The only concern is if he can come back from his injury. So far it has been smooth & the teams that know him the best are the most interested. San Diego bet heavily on Snell so TB will be interested in some pitchers to eat innings. TB knows Archer the best, they know how to scout & develop pitchers so there is probably where Archer will end up

Tampa knew Archer best and sold high. Keeping an open mind is to see what he has done the last few years. There is no logical reason for Tampa to bring back Archer unless it is a minor league deal. That is an open mind, not wishful thinking

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chris archer