Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Jake Odorizzi, What's going on w/ him?

jake odorizzi
  • Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#1 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

St Paul Saints

• 1,024 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 10 December 2020 - 10:56 AM

Since the beginning there was a lot of FA talk surrounding Jake &thattherewas a lot of interest from various teams. Thought he'd be gone by now but so far nothing.Is he waiting for a bigger haul? Now there are a lot of trade rumors for starters w/ already some deals.  Where does that leave our friend Odo? The way things are going, it doesn't look good for him. Will he have to settle for less than what he deserves? Does the Twins have a shot at him? Please share your thoughts.

• glunn, DocBauer and Channing1964 like this

#2 whosafraidofluigirussolo

whosafraidofluigirussolo

• 282 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 02:22 PM

It's true that Odorizzi's name has been in a number of rumors without any deal happening so far - but many more starting pitchers have not signed yet than have signed. It'd be hard to conclude that the market has moved on from him.

• DocBauer, dbminn and Doctor Gast like this

#3 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 16,334 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 04:52 PM

I'd bet several clubs were interested in him as a bounce back candidate expecting him to take a typical bounce back contract of like one year plus an option.

I'd guess Odorizzi has set loftier goals than these clubs were expecting.

• ashbury, glunn, DocBauer and 3 others like this

#4 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,725 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 06:05 PM

Looking at the right price on a multi-year deal, at least two years and an option. Then he will go down from there.

• DocBauer and Doctor Gast like this

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com

#5 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 7,302 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 12:28 AM

Our FO tends to play very close to the vest.

They were heralded a couple years ago for some very smart late signings that didn't turn out. But they seemed smart at the time.

They traded virtually nothing for Odorizzi and that turned out pretty darn good.

The Maeda trade was not on the radar and it looks pretty darn good despite giving up a good young BP arm.

There is a method to their madness that usually makes sense.

But I am surprised there has been no rumors about Oddo. They traded for him for a reason. He turned in a great 2019. While he was a darkly humorous 2020 injury factor, he had ZERO lingering injury concerns. He's actually the perfect guy to bring back. The devil you know. Dance with the date you brought. Either both sides are posturing here...OR...the FO is truly looking at Walker, Richardson and Kluber and deciding where the best value and upside is.

My guess? Oddo for a 1yr deal around $12-13M, or a 3yr $39M because they really do like him and want him back. Mutual benefit. OR, they give Kluber some sort of $10M deal with a $12-ish option for a 2nd year deal with a buyout. Just makes too much sense at this point, IMO.
  • glunn, rukavina, Dman and 7 others like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#6 SkyBlueWaters

SkyBlueWaters

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 112 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 09:00 AM

... My guess? Oddo for a 1yr deal around $12-13M, or a 3yr $39M because they really do like him and want him back. Mutual benefit. OR, they give Kluber some sort of $10M deal with a $12-ish option for a 2nd year deal with a buyout. Just makes too much sense at this point, IMO.

Not a bad guess. If they could get Jake for $12-13M for next year, that would be a great deal. Where it gets sticky is a multi-year deal, especially for a pitcher. Historically, premier everyday players are a safer long-term bet for multi-year deals than pitchers are. 

Jake turns 31 next March. Should be plenty of quality innings left. But his missing most of 2020 becomes a concern. Personally, I really like the guy. I like how he could deepen our rotation. 

A GM with a fat budget could snap him up for three years and Jake could easily make him look pretty savvy. The fat budget goes a long way toward forgetting the deal *if* Odorizzi struggles or gets injured and the team has to move on. 

We need to re-sign Cruz or replace the veteran bat. We'll see where the FO is after that.

• glunn, DocBauer and Doctor Gast like this

#7 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,586 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 11 December 2020 - 09:50 AM

A GM with a fat budget could snap him up for three years and Jake could easily make him look pretty savvy. The fat budget goes a long way toward forgetting the deal *if* Odorizzi struggles or gets injured and the team has to move on.

Really good summary of how I see things too. I also like Jake. But the one word that comes to mind when reading this summary is, "luxury."I want him, but not at the expense of something else, if that makes sense.

• glunn, DocBauer and Doctor Gast like this

Sarcasm. Just one of the many fine services I offer.

#8 SkyBlueWaters

SkyBlueWaters

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 112 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 02:15 PM

... the one word that comes to mind when reading this summary is, "luxury."I want him, but not at the expense of something else, if that makes sense.

Agreed.

Does anyone have an idea or a theory why we don't see more contracts that are heavily incentive laden, like the one Maeda signed with the Dodgers before getting dealt here?

I suppose the players and their agents don't like them, because the $$ isn't locked in.

But man, if I were a guy like Odorizzi out to show that 2019 was no fluke and he could do it again, a multi-year contract heavy on clauses re innings pitched, etc., would be just the ticket.

And it buffers the front office on having the contract blow up in their face(s), too.

• glunn, Heiny and Doctor Gast like this

#9 umterp23

umterp23

Ft Myers Mighty Mussels

• 81 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 02:31 PM

Part of the problem could be the agents being money whisperers to the players.  Guarantee this, get guaranteed that, etc.  I'm big fan of incentives to make more money for sure, just doesn't happen as much as we hope.  I would love to see all the clubs have cap on annual salary that is the same for all the players and then incentives can be up to the individual teams. For example: All MLB players make $1m per year for let's say rookies through year 2. $2m for year 3-5, then like $4M for 6-9, etc.  The incentives on performance than can be set based on position played, offensive/defense etc and you get your year end bonus, etc. or even pay it out monthly.  

Now the players would argue, never will work, because Mgmt can bench a guy closing in on reaching certain bonuses, and "cap" the money paid out.  Maybe the monthly payout alleviates some of that, don't know.  I know it would never fly but would be fun to see players on same level and then picking teams to play for.  Talk about balance of teams being competitive, since guys wouldn't be chasing big market teams with deep pockets and huge guaranteed contracts.  Plans has flaws, not a financial GM detail guy, just fun to think about different perform to pay concept.

• Doctor Gast likes this

#10 FlauerPauer

FlauerPauer

St Paul Saints

• 2,046 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 11 December 2020 - 02:54 PM

Jake was really good for the first half of 2019 and was good the second half of 2019. Got a good pay day, and had a rough 2020. Maybe 1 year and a vesting option with like 150 IP. I don't know about his price tag. 17 million was way to high even for his 2019 production. I'd probably try to do 8 million this year and the vesting option for 14.

• Doctor Gast likes this

#11 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Wichita Wind Surge

• 805 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 11 December 2020 - 03:25 PM

The Pohlad family bought the Twins for $36M in 1984 and it has an estimated value of $670M. The Pohlad family is worth $3.8B. I think they can afford to offset their main business profits with financial losses by the Twins. Therefore, I propose they skip all the posturing and tell Falvey and Levine to sign Cruz, sign Odorizzi, sign Cory Oliver, sign Didi Gregorius, sign Brad Hand, fill any remaining weaknesses with the best available options, and get ready for a run at the World Series in 2021.
  • TopGunn#22 likes this

#12 tony&rodney

tony&rodney

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 405 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 05:22 PM

No way to know if it is accurrate but Calvin said that Pohlad paid $5 million down and then another five for the next six years. The payments were all from profits. Carl was a very savvy business man. Currently, Forbes has the Twins as worth $1.3 billion. Baseball is a good business if you can get admitted into the club.

The post concerns Odorizzi and he may want 3/$45 million or more. Teams will wait to find the limits of their budgets before agreeing to those contracts. If the vaccines go smoothly, maybe the purses are loosened a bit.

• wabene and rdehring like this

#13 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

St Paul Saints

• 1,024 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 12 December 2020 - 06:31 AM

What I think might happen is that Odo will bet on himself again& take the best 1 yr. deal, hoping that he can get a better multi-yeardeal next year.

• wabene and SkyBlueWaters like this

#14 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 07:01 PM

Red Sox said to be interested in Odorizzi. And Rich Hill, which is interesting since they grabbed Martin Perez after the Twins moved on a year ago. 

If I'm the Twins, Odorizzi is one of my top priorities. Looks like there is a market for him, so he won't be crazy cheap, but they can get it done. 

• spanman2, DocBauer, tarheeltwinsfan and 1 other like this

#15 Oxtung

Oxtung

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence of tryin

• 2,013 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 03:26 PM

It always fascinates me when fans talk about bringing back players who have hit FA. My recollection is that this happens very infrequently. I'm curious what people think are the chances he returns? Personally, I would give it <5% chance that he returns to the Twins. What say you?

• ashbury likes this

#16 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Wichita Wind Surge

• 578 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 07:48 PM

No Odo. The Twins will sign a 3-4-5 type on FA or may go for a bigger talent in a trade.

#17 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 7,302 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 11:09 PM

Plains men? Traded for a reason. He was solid in 2018 for a disappointing team. He was largely excellent in 2019 and made the All Star game. He slumped a bit and finished strong.

He is coming off a ridiculous 2020 from back spasms early and a wicked chest contusion and and a crazy bloody blister. He suffered no arm or elbow issues.

How is he not a quality 3rd starter brought back for 2021 or beyond?
  • wabene, DannySD and Heiny like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#18 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 16,334 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 11:54 PM

I'd rather have Hill on one year than Odorizzi on three.

#19 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,939 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 20 December 2020 - 02:32 PM

Read today the Mets were talking to him.

Twins seem to be uninterested.

#20 mnfireman

mnfireman

• 363 posts

Posted 20 December 2020 - 05:49 PM

Odorizzi fills the 3 or 4 spot well, as long as he doesn't want 1 or 2 money I'm good. 

• wabene likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jake odorizzi